Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prot0type

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Hmm, was hoping to keep my back protector on in addition to the defender.

Not that that's a deal breaker anyway. Worst case scenario I'll just leave the screen protector on only.

lazybusinessman

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
yeah i wanted to leave mine on too....but its harder to get it on/off. if you can remove it i would, just to make the process easier. i learned the hard way. if i ever want to take this case off one day its going to be a pain in ass.

yelkceb

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2007
yeah i wanted to leave mine on too....but its harder to get it on/off. if you can remove it i would, just to make the process easier. i learned the hard way. if i ever want to take this case off one day its going to be a pain in ass.
Like I said earlier, getting it on was not bad with the front and back protectors but it was way too snug. Getting it off was a pain. I had to pull the screen protector off all the way and loosen it up with the spray that you use to put it on. Then I had to tap it off with a plastic knife(which later cut my thumb open)
It was a very bad experience and I am stupid for not thinking about it ahead of time.
I would HIGHLY recommend that you don't leave the back protector on when you put the case on. It would probably also be a good idea for Otter to put that on the box. Because mine slid on pretty easily to a point then it just wouldn't come off.

Biff...

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Sherman Oaks, CA.
just got my defender case on. Great fit, solid , well worth the money.

Only con, is that it doesn't come with the screen protector integrated, besides that I'm happy.

ipoddingalong

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Great pics!

The hole cut-out in the back...is there one for the Defender, too? for some reason I can't load the website right now. If so, I was hoping Otterbox would provide a little piece of film to protect the exposed back. Thanks.

Ocon

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
I got my iPad Commuter case today, I love it apart from the dock panel has no access for a normal cable connection or camera connection kit. I may cut a small hole myself in the dock panel for access.

thatisme

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
United States
anyone else think that these are hideously ugly? I'm sorry, but for 80.00 or so, I would expect more attention to detail as to the apple logo cutout (just looks terrible) and from the pictures, I would expect better attention paid to the molding seams.

I'm not knocking anyone's choice here... I am just trying to understand the "hype" around the Otterbox products...:confused:

kidtnt27

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2010
NC
anyone else think that these are hideously ugly? I'm sorry, but for 80.00 or so, I would expect more attention to detail as to the apple logo cutout (just looks terrible) and from the pictures, I would expect better attention paid to the molding seams.

I'm not knocking anyone's choice here... I am just trying to understand the "hype" around the Otterbox products...:confused:

The HYPE around otterbox stems more from the protection / security it provides for your device, and less from the aesthetics. At least for me it does.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
^ +1. I'm not if the iPad cases will be as good as the iPhone cases but a lot of guys in my national guard unit use them on their iPhones. My buddy was showing it to me, tossing it around on a concrete floor and kicking it around. Those little things are amazing.

Biff...

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Sherman Oaks, CA.

The looks are secondary to me, my main concern is protection. I have a couple of rug rats that love to mess with my toys and I need as much protection as I can get. Based on my experience with my iphone defender case I took a shot with the ipad case. Time will tell if my investment will pay off.

Mr. Biggles

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Western New York

Ugly? I guess thats a personal opinion. I don't see it that way. As for the Apple cut-out, I'm neutral on that...not really that big of a distraction.

The case molding is superb on the Defender. The fit is exact, exactly why the iPad with a skin attached won't really fit. This precision is integral to the shock absorbtion this case provides. The Defender is extremely well engineeered/designed.

It's a niche case...one it fills very well.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
Ugly? I guess thats a personal opinion. I don't see it that way. As for the Apple cut-out, I'm neutral on that...not really that big of a distraction.

The case molding is superb on the Defender. The fit is exact, exactly why the iPad with a skin attached won't really fit. This precision is integral to the shock absorbtion this case provides. The Defender is extremely well engineeered/designed.

It's a niche case...one it fills very well.

I agreed! I ordered a commuter, but only a few minutes after ordering that, and I switched my order to the Defender. Defender looks awesome. I think its designed well, and it looks great. It looks like a real tool, unless a kid toy now in the apple case. No, I can use my ipad at work, and using it around and being it safe now. The apple case is way too weak. If i dropped my ipad in that, it'll probably break. Also, defender will be great for travelling too. Im excited to see it in a few days.

Alicia4065

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2005
NJ
Well I can't wait to get my defender it should arrive early next week. I had a defender for the 3gs now waiting for them to release one for the iphone 4:)

fupresti

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
I got my Commuter case in on Thursday but the Defender series is still on backorder.

By the way, the screen protector that comes with the Commuter is TERRIBLE. Not a big deal, but was kind of disappointed in the quality.

Biff...

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Sherman Oaks, CA.
I got my Commuter case in on Thursday but the Defender series is still on backorder.

By the way, the screen protector that comes with the Commuter is TERRIBLE. Not a big deal, but was kind of disappointed in the quality.

I tossed my screen protector and put a zagg on.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
Sounds like the film screen with otter box, I'll buy a powersupport films on iPad. They are amazing on my iPhone. I ordered them for my iPhone 4. :D

NauticalDan

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
Canada
comutter vs. defender

I ordered both the comutter and the defender. I was planning to get just the comutter case, but figured I would try both.

I have to say, I'm glad I did. I much much much prefer the defender.

The defender case seems much better built. It does add some bulk, but the protection is amazing. For using around the house, I find that if I don't snap the front cover to the back and just leave it off, then the weight of it isn't much more noticeable than the weight of the comutter case.

And I actually like the look of the defender case (without the snap on cover) much better than the comutter case. In all the pictures, the comutter case looks sexier and sleeker, but in real life, the defender I think actually looks better. It is much higher quality. Definately worth the extra $20 in price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.