Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
Do the otterbox covers make the volume and power buttons harder to press? I find that silicone coverings typically do... not as much with TPU.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
This is so annoying, my PO box returned my defender back to otter box over a week since otter shipped it to me. Ridiculous. I haven't even seen it. Ugh

prot0type

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
/sigh

At least your case was sent out to you. I made the mistake of ordering through eBay. Despite the description alluding to the defender being readily available, this wasn't so. Seller hasn't even received his inventory yet.

So now I have to wait till wednesday. Got my refund and ordered from another seller who confirmed having it in stock.

doodude

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
pssst, look behind you...
Thanks for the pictures everyone posted.

I have a couple of questions about the defender if anyone can help...

What does the Defender 'feel' like? Is it pliable rubber? Hard & plastic feeling? Is it coated in some way?

Is that stand built into the back/front cover secure enough to keep it from coming loose & rubbing against the screen when used to cover the front?

TIA...

I just noticed this statement...

"With a slim form factor and smooth outer layer, this case slides easily in and out of a pocket, purse or bag."

I guess this is in case you happen to be wearing your clown pants to work. You know, the one with the really big pockets! Ha ha...

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Seen videos of the Defender and thought that case was just way to big for me. The Commuter is just right for me.

4836944422_9b4a4b1a45_b.jpg

4836943928_932a04a239_b.jpg

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
I LOVE my defender! It showed up today, and its amazing. Its not too big for me, or anything. Its perfect. Its safe, and looks great. I made a good choice snagging the def. case. ;)

ipoddingalong

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
I installed my Defender today with the Power Support USA shield. The shield took a long time for me to get on without bubbles. For some reason in the end I couldn't get rid of two long edge bubbles, no matter how many times I tried to get out air bubbles or dust. :D Luckily in the end I realized that the Defender would cover those parts of the iPad screen anyway, so my shield looks bubbleless. :p

I definitely recommend the Defender. It's very sturdy, smooth, and I feel I can pop on the lid and throw it in my bag without incident. I was going to get the iSkin, but the Defender shipped first, so I'm keeping it. It was much easier to install than I thought.

I found a how-to installation video by Otterbox: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSUDVeIBWvw

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
Well, I got my OtterBox Commuter, and overall I’m pretty happy with it. I got it for $42 shipped on ebay… I think the seller I bought it from had it mispriced because he has now marked them up to $59. :D Anyways, it was much easier to put on that I was expecting. All of the reviews said it was really difficult to install, but I watched the video on youtube and had it on in 2 minutes. Didn’t use the screen protector… have a power support anti glare on the way. The case is a little heavier than I was expecting, but I have gotten used to it.

My only complaint is the dock cover piece… It is slightly loose and wiggles/squeaks just a little bit when you touch it. It only moves a few millimeters, but it is enough to be annoying because that is where you put your hand when holding the iPad in landscape. It isn’t in any danger of falling off, it just wiggles. Has anyone else noticed this with their commuter?

jsimpson

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
Got mine a little while ago and it has a bad looking spot on the rim of the opening for the screen. I'll be emailing otterbox about it for a replacement I suppose.:(
image.jpg

Well I received an email back last night telling that they are sending me a replacement unit and I can just keep the one that has the bad spot on it. Awesome customer service!!

Biff...

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Sherman Oaks, CA.
Thanks for the pictures everyone posted.

I have a couple of questions about the defender if anyone can help...

What does the Defender 'feel' like? Is it pliable rubber? Hard & plastic feeling? Is it coated in some way?

Is that stand built into the back/front cover secure enough to keep it from coming loose & rubbing against the screen when used to cover the front?

TIA...

I just noticed this statement...

"With a slim form factor and smooth outer layer, this case slides easily in and out of a pocket, purse or bag."

I guess this is in case you happen to be wearing your clown pants to work. You know, the one with the really big pockets! Ha ha...

Feels like wet suit rubber, defientely very pliable, which gives you a good grip on your ipad, almost sticky like.

The Stand is not build in, and snaps in via four indentations built into the hard plastic shell. It wont budge unless you remove it. When my ipad is not in use, I usally put the stand in the front to protect my screen even further.

prot0type

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
My only complaint is the dock cover piece… It is slightly loose and wiggles/squeaks just a little bit when you touch it. It only moves a few millimeters, but it is enough to be annoying because that is where you put your hand when holding the iPad in landscape. It isn’t in any danger of falling off, it just wiggles. Has anyone else noticed this with their commuter?

Just received my commuter case today and Im digging it. Light, sleek and protection I can trust from otterbox.

I previously posted earlier in this thread about using a back protection film with a Defender and how it has caused a problem for some users. Well, I didn't listen and yes, same issue with the Commuter. It's an absolute pain trying to remove the dock cover so I got rid of the back protector, much easier now.

As for the wiggling of the cover, Im not noticing it too much. It still feels as if there is still enough tension on the cover's foam to prevent it from falling off. However, the cover is definitely not flush with the rest of the case. It's raised slightly so I feel where the cover meets the rest of the case, kinda annoying. It can probably be remedied by shaving some of the foam off, but I'm not going to sacrifice protection over something Im already getting used to. Maybe it'll go away after awhile once the iPad has broken in the case. Otherwise, I'll probably shoot otterbox an email to see if this is normal or not.

swwang

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2009
ipad defender sliding panel problem

iPad defender owners, after installation do you have problems removing the docking station panel (the door)? I found it impossible to slide it open and I am afraid to use any more force than I already have for fear of doing damage to the case or the iPad. Any suggestions?
As you know, you also cannot charge the iPad without sliding the door open. So it's not a matter of choice.

Scott

Bmbernhardt

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2010
Oil slick in middle of defender

Hello All, new here. I am a recent Apple convert and am wondering if anyone else is experiencing the "oil slick" on their iPad otterbox defender. I like everyone else need the protection of the defender and was stokednwhen it finally arrived. Took some time to figure it out due to the picture instructions but was happy. Until I noticed that the case was squeezing my iPad to the point it caused an oil slick under the screen. Emailed Alex with my problem and photos he sent me a new one ups ground. Just got it yesterday and once again was happy to finally have protection, but once again I got the oil slick in the middle of the screen(no screen guard was put on either time). You can't notice it when in applications but noticeable when screen is black. Can't be good for my iPad. Any other users noticing this at all? It only happens when I put the plastic shell completely on. Just wondering if I am doing something wrong or if this is a problem others are experiencing. It seems weird that two products would cause the same effect. I have googled to see if anyone else has had this problem, but no luck.
Any help or advice would be appreciated. I just emailed otterbox this morning.
Thanks all
Brian

Bmbernhardt

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2010
Slide panel on defender

I found it qute hard to get the door off Scott. Make sure the circular sticker is gone as well.

Mr. Biggles

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Western New York
I am a recent Apple convert and am wondering if anyone else is experiencing the "oil slick" on their iPad otterbox defender. Any other users noticing this at all?
Any help or advice would be appreciated. I just emailed otterbox this morning.
Thanks all
Brian

I had a small one. In my case, when I removed the dock cover it disappeared. I narrowed it down to the tab area since it didn't appear until it 'clicked' into place. I used a dremel tool to remove a slight bit of plastic ( less than 0.5 mm ) in the area adjacent to the tab that snaps in place. If you look closely, you'll see where it's molded with some curvature. It's at that curvature point (change in thickness ...you'll see it I'm sure) that I did the grinding.

My 'oil slick' only appeared when I put a slight pressure on the screen. Gone completely now.

If you have a skin on the back of the iPad, it also may be the culprit. The Defender molding tolerances are tight tight.

Bmbernhardt

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2010
Thanks Mr Biggles

Going to try sanding it down. Regretably I get the oil slick as soon as I put the IPad into the first part if the exo skeleton. No back cover on iPad unless it comes with one. Was thinking of putting invisible guard on the screen and sanding down the thickness in certain areas. I love the design, feel, and protection but that oil slick drives me crazy.
Thanks for the help

Mr. Biggles

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Western New York
Going to try sanding it down. Regretably I get the oil slick as soon as I put the IPad into the first part if the exo skeleton. No back cover on iPad unless it comes with one.

Is your 'oil slick' all over?

I would have exchanged mine till I got a good one if it were in numerous areas. I found what caused mine almost immediately, and it was a quick/easy fix.

Bmbernhardt

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2010
Thanks again

My oil slick is just in the middle, it happens as soon as I put the second part of the exoskeleton on. It is not very big, maybe half a dime, but if pressure is applied it grows to about two inches in length less then a centimeter in width.
I had otterbox ship me a new one, and the problem is it happened again on the second one..
So I am resound to trying to manually fix it as you did. Ill post the success story if I get it done tonight.

Thanks again.. Wondering if anyone else had this problem?

clovis112

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Just recieved my defender case yesterday (have to wait at fedex since there was no one at my house to accept the package and i dont want to wait till monday for them to redeliver) and it is insanely solid! it feels really tough and durable. i tossed my incase convertible coz that thing just slides my iPad inside and the ports are out of alignment.

those of you guys that didn't like the screen protector, is it really that bad?
i put mine on the iPad and its looks perfect. its a little bit fingerprint proof too compared to IS!

the dock cover is sometimes a pain to take off. do you think its gonna scratch the back of the iPad in the long run?

Mr. Biggles

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Western New York
the dock cover is sometimes a pain to take off. do you think its gonna scratch the back of the iPad in the long run?

I find it comes off very easy. I just push from (rather than pull) the cover indentation. It's lined with 'felt', so I hope it's not prone to scratches. I've removed the dock cover many times, and no scratches so far.

clovis112

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
I find it comes off very easy. I just push from (rather than pull) the cover indentation. It's lined with 'felt', so I hope it's not prone to scratches. I've removed the dock cover many times, and no scratches so far.

Maybe mine is still in the break-in period. ;) hopefully it wont scratch..

ronline

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2006
I just received my Defender Case and having the oil slick issue and

I just received my Defender Case and having the oil slick issue others have reported.
Seems to go away when the dock port cover is removed.
And this case makes the ipad heavy, wondering if i should have gotten the commuter instead.

I will a new tread to ask other who have both which one they prefer using.

clovis112

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
I just received my Defender Case and having the oil slick issue others have reported.
Seems to go away when the dock port cover is removed.
And this case makes the ipad heavy, wondering if i should have gotten the commuter instead.

I will a new tread to ask other who have both which one they prefer using.

i guess i got a good one since i'm not experiencing the "oil-slick" issues you guys are having..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.