Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone X with 256GB storage is the most popular device among prospective smartphone buyers, according to a survey conducted by RBC Capital Markets.

iphone-x-256gb-800x607.jpg

Of the 832 individuals surveyed, 28 percent said they plan to purchase iPhone X as their next smartphone. An additional 20 percent of respondents said they intend to buy iPhone 8 Plus, while 17 percent will go for iPhone 8.

iphone-x-rbc.jpg

The remaining 35 percent of consumers plan to purchase an older model, ranging from iPhone 6s to iPhone 7 Plus.

RBC Capital Markets said 43 percent of prospective buyers interested solely in a new iPhone are looking to purchase an iPhone X, while 32 percent favor iPhone 8 Plus, but no accompanying chart was provided for this data.

A majority 57 percent of respondents who plan on purchasing iPhone X will opt for the 256GB model, which costs $1,149 in the United States. 43 percent said they will buy the 64GB model for $999.

iphone-x-rbc-3.jpg

By comparison, 50 percent of iPhone 7 respondents last year opted for 128GB, which was the middle tier between 32GB and 256GB.

RBC Capital Markets analyst Amit Daryanani:
Interestingly, Apple has removed the middle-tier storage option from iPhones. We think that given increasingly greater storage requirements, most of mid-tier storage users will move towards the higher tier.
46 percent of a larger pool of 4,196 respondents said wireless charging is iPhone X's most attractive feature.

iphone-x-rbc-2-800x506.jpg

Overall, RBC Capital Markets expects strong demand for iPhone X, which should increase Apple's average selling price for iPhones in general. The investment bank remains upbeat about Apple's stock, with a price target of $180.

iPhone X pre-orders start Friday, October 27. The device launches Friday, November 3.

Article Link: Over Half of Prospective iPhone X Buyers Surveyed Plan to Choose 256GB Storage

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Have to admit I'm surprised about the breakdown for most appealing feature. Wireless charging to me is sort of meh since you still have to put the phone in a particular/specific spot, which itself is wired to an outlet. Happy to take it, I guess, but not something that's especially bothered me as "a problem" with the phones I've owned for the last 10 years.

To me it's the very large screen is a relatively compact body that's most appealing.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
Another article referencing average sale price increasing. Keep in mind that profit margin and total profit are the important numbers and that both are lower on the iPhone X than the iPhone 8 line as COGS are significantly higher on the X.

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
who did they ask? all wallstreet managers? i think lots of people will be going with the 256 but in general i think it will be 60% 64gb 40% 256gb cause there are lots of average customers that are gonna get the phone because it's cool and flashy but don't care about storage

jellyjeff

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2017
What do you do with 256GB of storage? My iPhone 6 w/ 64GB is only 65% full and I could cut it down easily if I needed to. I'm genuinely curious as I can't figure out why people need so much storage.
Lots of people watch movies on the train. Bigger screen makes that more likely to be worth doing.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
By comparison, 50 percent of iPhone 7 respondents last year opted for 128GB, which was the middle tier between 32GB and 256GB.
The cynic in me says this is the reason the X ain't coming in 128GB. 4K "All teh Things" and offer two tiers of storage: not enough and the one we want you to buy. That's the cynic in me. The idealist in me says the cynic in me is right.:)

24% of the surveyed are opting for 7/7+. I'm getting two 7's so I'm in that group.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.