Overall Verdict of OSX Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by BuCkDoG, Aug 27, 2013.

1. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

So I'm curious to know what everyone's thought are so far regarding Mavericks. I myself am a Developer for iOS only and don't write for OSX so I'm curious what everyones overall impressions, verdicts, opinions are about the upcoming software so far.

Discuss.

2. chabig macrumors 68040

So far, I think it will be released someday soon.

3. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

Underwhelming. It seems like they just held features back from Lion and ML so that they would have something to release this year.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

It's... nice.

There's some really good improvements in RAM management, power management, notification center, calendar etc.

However, I don't think there's any huge killer features.

5. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

I heard its pretty good but not a WOW update.

6. DiscardedPacket macrumors member

Its OK, hasn't really blown me away.

Still a LOT of bugs. Kernel panics, scrolling suddenly stops working for PDFs, powerpoint broken, etc.

7. michelg1970 macrumors regular

michelg1970

It is pretty good indeed but definitely not the WOW update I expected / hoped for in day-to-day business...

8. myxomatosis macrumors member

myxomatosis

Mavericks will be a great release in my opinion... for laptops. There's not a st_tload of new features, but it feels like they worked very hard on what you don't immediately see, under the hood.

As a rMBP user, 10.9 feels faster, more stable, lighter and more responsive than ML in general. The battery lasts longer, the laptop seems to run cooler too. In overall, for 20 bucks, it will be an excellent product imo.

My only deception so far: I think they could have put more effort on the visuals. The skeuomorphism is gone, finally, but the apps aren't necessarily more beautiful. Game Center still has its horrible green felt look for example, Reminders didn't change, and the Notes app isn't particularly interesting.

I expect and hope for more changes, visually, when they release 10.10?!. Hopefully, they won't go full retard either and give us a dumbed down version of OS X, like MS did with Windows 8.

For laptop users, 10.9 brings great enhancements in my opinion, but for iMac and Mac Pro users, I'm not so sure ;)

9. BuCkDoG thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for everyones response thus far and thanks to myxomatosis for the summary. I also have a rMBP so I was hoping this did address some of the issues, scroll lag, UI lag, etc. I am glad to hear you report back that this update does address that. As far as skeuomorphism, what did they remove from ML? I didn't see anything in particular that was shockingly different.

10. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

I pretty much use it exactly the same as ML. Not really using any of the updated/new apps yet (maps, ibooks, itunes radio or safari). That being said it's quite stable and if you like to stay up to date or are having some gripes with ML it couldn't hurt to upgrade.

I think the people who will get the most out of this update are:
    People who use Multiple Monitors
    People with 4GB of ram
    Laptop users who run out of battery often
    and of course
    People who use the new apps a lot ibooks, maps, itunes radio, etc

11. leman macrumors 604

I use it as my main OS starting with the first developer preview. It has been very stable, fast and convenient. However, as others have pointed out, it is not that different from Mountain Lion. In fact, it feels and behaves like Mountain Lion. Its just uses the hardware more efficiently, thats basically it.

12. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Yeah, it's probably Mountain Lion II but 10.9 is a no-brainer for those that use multiple displays.

13. chabig macrumors 68040

It's funny, because that's what people said about Snow Leopard and yet today many still say they prefer it over Lion and Mountain Lion (not me).

14. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Its a HUGE wow update for me!

Updated OpenGL means Mari is coming to the Mac. Thats huge for someone who does texture painting.

15. ErikGrim, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013

ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

It's a killer update for laptop users. The extra battery life even on older laptops is excellent.

16. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

They could (and I can't imagine them not) update the UI of those remaining apps for the GM. It would be silly not to as they have removed all textures from contacts, notes, etc.

The Reminders app is just awful - who ever thought of that design needs firing!

17. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

OS X Mavericks is a nice maintenance update with few tweaks. But I'm fairly disappointed there are hardly any major new end-user features to be found that. Not taking into account those performance enhancements.

18. vandoorn macrumors regular

I've been using Mavericks since the first beta, and i'm not that impressed. I like the finder tabs and the full screen possibilities, but that's about it. Not a major wow update in my eyes...

19. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

In terms of features, it's a pretty okay update. If they release it for the same average price of the last couple of OS updates then I'm more than happy with it.

The BIG win with Mavericks is the performance. It brings new life to my early 2009 iMac. Not exaggerating either, Mountain Lion really lagged down that iMac but Mavericks really makes it usable again. :)

20. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

The performance enhancements alone are reason enough for me to update.

21. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Mavericks is largely a under-the-hood update focused on performance, like SL so that's not a surprise.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The under the hood improvements are impressive, it's been my daily driver for about a month now.

23. Lankyman macrumors 68000

Hmm! So the overall view for someone like myself i.e. mid 2011 i5 iMac with 16 gig of RAM is that it brings very little to the party. Difficult to make out a case for upgrading from ML.

24. chabig macrumors 68040

No. It's a no brainer upgrade. You want the under the hood improvements.

25. dBeats macrumors 6502a

dBeats

As someone who was already using AirPlay mirroring, and now having the ability to make AirPlay its own display, plus full screen apps that don't kill my two other displays, I think it's almost worth it for that alone.

Memory management is much better, my MacBook Air seems less taxed with memory. Although it's not harder to tell precisely what's going on. I miss the memory dock icon for Activity Monitor.