Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Well no, under the hood advancements rarely slap a user in the face to the point where they realize the benefits. Given the advancements in memory management, cpu task handling, etc this is the mythical "power user" update that so many have begged for...but of course the average consumer won't notice. That said, they'll probably be pretty happy with improved battery life. ;)

But my iMac doesn't use batteries :confused: TBH in the time I've owned this iMac the CPU has yet to break sweat, same with the RAM. Point is it's not simply a case of a small outlay for the new OS, many third party apps may need to be upgraded, Parallels to name but one.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Hmm! So the overall view for someone like myself i.e. mid 2011 i5 iMac with 16 gig of RAM is that it brings very little to the party. Difficult to make out a case for upgrading from ML.

But my iMac doesn't use batteries :confused: TBH in the time I've owned this iMac the CPU has yet to break sweat, same with the RAM. Point is it's not simply a case of a small outlay for the new OS, many third party apps may need to be upgraded, Parallels to name but one.

Stay where you are if it works for you but your post suggests that if it's not good enough for you then it's not good enough for anyone else. Personally I see a lot of reasons to upgrade.

Last edited:

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Agreed, It's one the only release that hasn't really won me over. I don't feel like there's any real reason to upgrade from Mountain Lion..

It is faster though, but that's about it.

Again,

#1 Feature: Multiple monitor support. If you only use a single monitor then yes... no need to upgrade because of this. (New AirPlay has some merits though).

#2 Energy savings, App Nap & Compressed memory: This is more in line for those in the market for a new Haswell-based MBP over the next few months (like me). Can't see anyone upgrading an iMac because of this. And... after using Mavrix on an early Sandy Bridge machine for a month now I can honestly say there is no noticeable battery savings for me. At least none that i see. (I think it's slightly worse but not sure).

That is pretty much it for me.

Finder tags/tabs... never use 'em.
iBooks... whatever.
iCal (Calendar)... I use BusyCal
iCloud Keychain.... might prove interesting. Haven't tried it yet.
Notifications... nothing earth-shattering.
Maps... meh. I never get lost. :D

So no, you mac won't burst into flames if you stay on ML.

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
That's two minor, under the hood updates in a row: ML and Mavericks. I think the OS is very mature now. Unless Apple goes the way of Microsoft (trying to integrate mobile and desktop OS), the route to a bold new future will be a very long and careful one.

denisvj

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2006
Again,

#1 Feature: Multiple monitor support. If you only use a single monitor then yes... no need to upgrade because of this. (New AirPlay has some merits though).

#2 Energy savings, App Nap & Compressed memory: This is more in line for those in the market for a new Haswell-based MBP over the next few months (like me). Can't see anyone upgrading an iMac because of this. And... after using Mavrix on an early Sandy Bridge machine for a month now I can honestly say there is no noticeable battery savings for me. At least none that i see. (I think it's slightly worse but not sure).

iBooks... whatever.

Don't forgent OpenGL 4 but we won't take advantage until developers use it and I think this will be the next year when the new games came out supporting opengl 4.x

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Stay where you are if it works for you but your post suggests that if it's not good enough for you then it's not good enough for anyone else. Personally I see a lot of reasons to upgrade.

Yes but then again you simply like to follow me around the forums taking a dig at me if I dare to question anything that Apple do. I haven't said I wouldn't upgrade, I am more inclined to wait and see, especially see what the third party vendors are going to do regarding squeezing more cash out of the consumer.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Yes but then again you simply like to follow me around the forums taking a dig at me if I dare to question anything that Apple do. I haven't said I wouldn't upgrade, I am more inclined to wait and see, especially see what the third party vendors are going to do regarding squeezing more cash out of the consumer.

LOL, it didn't even cross my mind who you were until you mentioned it. Sorry pal, I don't follow people around MR. There are way too many people here to converse with. I don't even pay attention to their usernames, just the posts.
One note though, apparently (as you've admitted), you consistently have negatives to talk about in regards to Apple. Why bother using a system from a company you seem to detest? You're even spreading FUD about their upcoming OS. Lemme guess, you're not really a Mac user. Gotcha. Thanks.

UPDATE: Just checked your post history. The majority I've read (if not all) are Anti-Apple or full of negatives against Apple's decisions. Know ya now. Last reply to ya, trust me. You're not worth it.

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2013
here
i like it.

having a tiny SSD, now i don't need to disable hibernation, as now it only copies the used ram, not the whole 8gb. Looks cleaner. double menubar is better, transparent dock is good, and it's also simpler. No spinning time machine icon is good.

New finder is better, but still not there by any means. new power button sucks.
Boot up and power down times are exactly the same. New tasks monitor is worse. integration of internet services and sharing sucks big time, any ios or android phone is a thousand times better. itunes still sucks, a lot. and about the rest of apple apps, i couldn't care less, as i use 3rd party apps which are way better.

overall, yes is better, but i just hope apple speeds up with true computer OS, cause basically this is the same as 10.5 in terms of functionality...

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
LOL, it didn't even cross my mind who you were until you mentioned it. Sorry pal, I don't follow people around MR. There are way too many people here to converse with. I don't even pay attention to their usernames, just the posts.
One note though, apparently (as you've admitted), you consistently have negatives to talk about in regards to Apple. Why bother using a system from a company you seem to detest? You're even spreading FUD about their upcoming OS. Lemme guess, you're not really a Mac user. Gotcha. Thanks.

UPDATE: Just checked your post history. The majority I've read (if not all) are Anti-Apple or full of negatives against Apple's decisions. Know ya now. Last reply to ya, trust me. You're not worth it.

Thanks for confirming what I said. I do understand the need you have for validating your purchases. However, the more mature among us realise that like any other company Apple is not perfect and they don't always get everything right or maybe there's things they could do better. That isn't being anti-Apple as you see it. Constructive criticism is actually a positive.

----------

Lolito mentions the Time Machine icon no longer rotates when doing a backup. What happens now then as I've always relied on this when I can't see the Desktop in order to see that TM is performing a backup.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Lolito mentions the Time Machine icon no longer rotates when doing a backup. What happens now then as I've always relied on this when I can't see the Desktop in order to see that TM is performing a backup.
Its a bug, though if it is a "feature" a simple look in the system preferences will confirm the state of your backups. Clicking on the TM icon on the menu bar will also show you when the last backup occurred.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.

Absolutely - visual aids are always a bonus.

----------

Its a bug, though if it is a "feature" a simple look in the system preferences will confirm the state of your backups. Clicking on the TM icon on the menu bar will also show you when the last backup occurred.

I am aware of the options. However, as soon as I hear my new vertical TC come to life I automatically glance at the TM icon as hearing the TC fan come to life is usually the cue that a backup is taking place.

As said previously though I won't be jumping in to upgrade to Mavericks like I did with ML until I see what third party application vendors are up to. I'm not about to part with any more hard earned cash for apps when ML will continue to do the job just fine.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005

There's a teeny tiney play icon on the Time Machine icon when it's backing up. No idea why they changed it.

opinioncircle

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Here is my status: I have a 2009 uMBP which I did upgrade to SL all the way back in 09. I passed onto each & every update for some reasons, and now am looking forward to Mavericks.

The only complaint I'd have now is how the mac handles Flash. It goes my computer crashing (ever since 09, took it to the Apple Store, nothing was found).

Now, from you guys who used it, is Flash handling much better?

rawrmaan

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2012
Mavericks is the first release I've really been excited about since 10.6. I feel like 10.7 and 10.8 introduced a lot of bloat--10.8's performance on an rMBP with 8GB RAM is less than enjoyable, especially when using Mission Control. I feel like 10.9 really brings the efficiency and performance improvements that Mac OS needs to stay ahead of the curve and not become bloated like Windows Vista.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Again,

iBooks... whatever.

Lol great post. But I love the tabs but will continue to use TotalFinder.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
If you think Mavx is a "maintenance" release to ML, then you clearly haven't been paying attention.

There are hundreds -- and I mean hundreds of very small improvements throughout almost every part of the OS and bundled software. To say nothing of the deeply significant improvements to memory management and battery life.
The completion of Full Screen for multiple monitors is a long-time coming; then there's Finder tabs which has been requested for YEARS.

File tagging is a revolutionary way of organizing your data: I'm sure most people won't use it to its greatest advantage, but it pretty much represents a complete alternative to hierarchical folders.

In short: By 10.9.1 or 2, this should be a rock solid, minimally-bugged OS which doesn't get in the way, but lets you get on with your work, optimally.

Thank you for the write-up. Puts things into perspective.

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I think you guys are missing my point. I agree because its beta there are bugs, but even after GM, bugs will be present. Sometimes a lot, and sometimes very few. Here's my point, if a user is happy with his current OS there is no reason to introduce a new variable that could have a negative impact on him.

To put it another way, why spend 30 dollars on something that gives him no value but potentially introduces some bugs. I agree there are enhancements that could potentially aide users but if they're not interested then why go through the hassle.

That is cmChimera, you called it a mistake for people not to upgrade and I think that's incorrect. Will they be missing out on features, yes, but if that's decision its not a mistake.

I hate to break it to you, but there are still bugs in Snow Leopard, Lion, and Mt Lion... not upgrading because their might be bugs in software means you are never going to update any software ever again. =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.