Overwatch not coming to Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by cycledance, Oct 28, 2015.

1. PJivan macrumors regular

PJivan

Metal only run efficiently on AMD hardware now, so any metal test on nvidia or amd pre gcn is useless

2. jeanlain macrumors 65816

AMD pre-GCN doesn't support Metal at all. As for nVidia, there may be bugs in Metal drivers, but when it works it works well. The improvements brought by Metal in GFXBench, WoW or War thunder on nVidia hardware are in the same range as on AMD.

3. epca12 macrumors regular

I dont understand why they would do this. Maybe they will have changed their minds now with all the changes that have happened with macos and mac graphics?

4. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I'm not sure it will happen. Blizzard is owned by Activision so it's not your old Blizzard.

5. jeanlain macrumors 65816

They were already associated with Activision when they decided to port SC2 and Diablo 3 to the Mac, and to port some of their games to Metal. Plus, there are many other games published by Activision that have Mac ports.
    For EA or Ubisoft, it's another story.

6. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

You are talking about some development from existing games / engines that were already available for OS X from Blizzard before Activision.

Overwatch is a completely new game / engine.

7. Janichsan, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017

Janichsan macrumors 65816

Janichsan

Nonsense. StarCraft II and Diablo III both were developed after the merger with Activision and use (at that time) completely new engines.

In addition, Blizzard is completely autonomous within Activision Blizzard and even has its own corporate leadership – including its own president and CEO, which happen to be one of the founders of Blizzard. Activision's leadership has no say in Blizzard.

8. jeanlain macrumors 65816

The merger between Activision and Blizzard was made in 2008, way before the release of SC2.
    Anyway, Blizzard said it was a technical issue, not a political one.

9. kd5jos, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017

kd5jos macrumors 6502

kd5jos

And if you don't think software can destroy hardware, read up on stuxnet. Or on malware that destroyed hard drives...

10. koyoot macrumors 601

koyoot

It has nothing to do with situation you quote. It is your belief that Stuttering is caused by hardware problems.

It is not. Deal with it.

11. verpeiler macrumors 6502a

verpeiler

I guess you should rather read up on Stuxnet..

12. jeanlain macrumors 65816

I'm lost. Is some nVidia hardware issue supposed to cause the frame rate issue, or is it the other way around? :confused:
    This nonsense has to stop, and is off topic anyway.

13. jeanlain, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017

jeanlain macrumors 65816

14. Jervasio macrumors member

Jervasio

15. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Why bother waiting for months/years for something that may not appear on Mac?

For less than $200, you can buy a PS4, you know?

16. jeanlain macrumors 65816

Seems more expensive than a game, don't you think? Not counting the cost of the TV set.

17. Jervasio macrumors member

Jervasio

That's what I'm using

18. jeanlain, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017

jeanlain macrumors 65816

And some may not want to buy/boot Windows. These arguments have been addressed countless times already. We know there are several ways to play a game...

At this point I'm going to question Blizzard's commitment to making Metal games. We have WoW and that's it. They're taking ages to port the SC2 engine. It's been 10 months since the first Beta and there are still bugs. Some smaller companies have ported their engine in much less time.
    No sign that Diablo III will be ported, no sign of overwatch.
    I tend to believe that, when Apple contacted them about Metal (Blizzard were listed among partners at WWDC), there was something they didn't like (maybe they expected Vulkan/OpenGL 4.X) or they were already in the move to drop Mac support. Apple would have negotiated the support of some existed games, but couldn't obtain more. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear this is all we're going to get from Blizzard.

EDIT: looking at SC2's Mac support forum. There's a ridiculous bug preventing using the game on Metal (the minimap cannot be clicked). Support says it may take months to fix. Yeah right. Blizzard is just slowly dropping the Mac.

19. mario-64 macrumors regular

I agree jeanlain. If Blizzard were truly supporting Mac we’d have fully developed Metal Overwatch, D3 and SC2 by now. I don’t expect any further Mac development for any Blizzard games

20. MacAlien macrumors 6502

MacAlien

That’s a bit silly. I’m all for dissing Blizz, when they deserve it but, they’re one of the few game developers who do actively support Macs. So they haven’t released an Overwatch client for Macs. That doesn’t mean they’re not actively supporting Macs. ;P

Also, SC2 (and HotS) does have Metal support. They added it earlier this year. D3 will eventually go that route as well. It wouldn’t add much plus, pretty sure they’re planning to release another xpac. Maybe then. Nobody knows except Blizzard.

21. wubsylol macrumors regular

Despite the anecdotal evidence suggesting otherwise, Blizzards Mac team is the biggest its ever been right now. Outside of the Overwatch absence, the biggest support burden is going to be trying to support both a rapidly evolving API like Metal and Apples deprecated and broken OpenGL implementation.

22. ScorchedEarth, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017

ScorchedEarth Suspended

ScorchedEarth

Now I highly doubt Overwatch will come to Mac anytime soon...But I really hope it does. I have never been the type to be fond of "exclusives", as they segregate people from really fun games. With that being said, if this game does come to Mac, I would hope Apple will start giving a **** about its users. The whole idea of eGPU's or having to spend so much on hardware, that is laughable at best when it comes to driving today's AAA games.

Even if Apple can somehow jump into the gaming market overnight, it would be almost impossible to persuade PC users to spend over 3x the amount of money, for comparable hardware that they already had. And from the look of their future lineup, it doesn't seem like they really want to have performance or even replaceable GPU's.

23. jeanlain macrumors 65816

Currently, only WoW works on Metal. SC2 has been broken since septembre and support appears very poor if you read the forum. They don't fell like fixing the game apparently.
    And the reason raised for not porting overwatch is very dubious. They say the Mac technology isn't adequate. Even now with Metal 2 and the latest Macs? What's so special with Overwatch that makes it impossible on the Mac, considering the games works on consoles and several advanced game engines now run on Metal? This looks like a cop-out. :rolleyes:

24. mario-64 macrumors regular

My point exactly. Blizzard is in fact not devoting much, if any, resources to Mac development anymore. Broken SC2 for months, no D3 at all, lame excuses re: Overwatch. I just hope they still provide a Mac client for the next WoW expansion