Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
Fat little thing isn't? So a fat little phone with a squeaky, rattling keyboard that slides out with buttons too small for the average male finger is supposed to be the iPhone Killer? Give me a break!

Wait til the new iPhone comes out in its thinner profile, 3.0 multitasking software and the Pre is going to get blown out of the water before it even realizes it's hit the water.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
I don't know any non-tech people who know what a Pre is. On the other hand, everyone knows what an iPhone is.

The Pre looks decent, but they don't have the consumer status that Apple has. I don't think it will be the "savior phone" that Palm needs to survive.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Its in a different league than the iphone, but I dont think it is a "competitor" since its on a different carrier. Apple would be in trouble if it was on ATT, but its not. Also it has to be priced for the MAINSTREAM to have even the slightest effect for Sprint, not the rich, if Sprint lets them charge $600-800 then they just wasted millions on a useless exclusivity contract.

That's the beauty of it, though - Sprint only has a 90 day contract on it.

After that, it will certainly go to Verizon (it being a CDMA phone and all). So they'll have opened themselves up to a HUGE potential market.

And I can't imagine they're not already working on (or at least considering) a version for T-Mobile and AT&T.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I'm interested to see if any legal fights come out of this. We will see soon enough and who knows if Apple has something spectacular waiting for the next generation of the iPhone.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Not sure why you are all confused regarding how she typed out her email... The pre has a physical keyboard you know. This was just a mockup anyway.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Seeing as how I refuse to leave Sprint and my legacy $40 voice/data plan (I've never had signal issues where I'm at) I've got my sights set on this phone the day it's released.

I just hope Sprint doesn't force you to one of their expensive "Anything" plans or I'll just be forced to stick with my 755p, however badly it's aging.

they do. They won't let you keep your old plan.

xhambonex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2008
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I'm interested to see if any legal fights come out of this. We will see soon enough and who knows if Apple has something spectacular waiting for the next generation of the iPhone.

why legal fights, they clearly put together a competitive os, apple needs to respond with something better not iphone os 3.whatever

xhambonex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2008
Physical Keyboard eh? Wow, how 'retro'!

not at all, look at a blackberry bold, i don't think thats very retro, and not to mention this phone looks really good. Oh and qwerty keyboards are faster and more accurate and some people just like them.

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
Palm Pre looks very promising. But I really wonder how well it's going to do in practice, when it's in people's hands.

Its main advantage over the iPhone is that it allows third-party applications to run in the background. But how many applications is it going to allow? What happens when it's pushed to its limit? We'll have to wait and see.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
bring on the competition!!! this will only make the iphone that much stronger.

is it still set for april 30th as a release date?

Absolutely. Competition is good, and having used WM6.1 and Blackberry, there currently isn't a lot of competition for the iPhone, IMO.

This however looks quite nice.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
What a strange video. A mumbling, ADD-addled narrator. I wasn't sure if she was trying to pitch the device or seduce it.

Looks like a nice device. The clarity of the iphone still makes it seem sharper & crisper, regardless of features.

3.0 had better pack a punch.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
not at all, look at a blackberry bold, i don't think thats very retro, and not to mention this phone looks really good. Oh and qwerty keyboards are faster and more accurate and some people just like them.

Faster and more accurate FOR SOME! I type A LOT faster on the iPhone keyboard then I ever did on my Treos, T9 phone, or Sidekick.

francoliu

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2009
the Pre looks great -- but Apple has such a HUGE advantage in that the iPod already has infiltrated the whole target population, which means that 99% of the people who might buy the Pre already have had an iPod and are used to iTunes. There is no mainstream program out there that runs as well as iTunes in terms of getting everything you want onto your phone as well as being a great app on your computer. iTunes is such a huge advantage that I wonder whether any other phone will be anything but a niche competitor as long as the hardware and UI is comparable. The people on this forum may feel comfortable playing with various programs to get media onto their phones, but most consumers would rather just hook their iPhone into iTunes, sync all their media and apps, and then go.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
Flop

The Pre looks like it will be a great product, and I think competition is great for this and any industry. However, the reason this and all other "iPhone killers" fight an uphill battle against the Apple device is one reason and one reason alone. Advertising. Apple is the only company who was able to stand up to the mobile people and demand the right to advertise their own device. all the other manufacturers just lay down and let the carriers do the bulk of the marketing which they do about as well as the fast food and cruise industries; badly. Nothing against the Pre (not that I plan on getting one either) but it's going to have a rough time of it, left to lukewarm advertising by Sprint and the like.

^^Yeah, and that little iTunes thing...

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Faster and more accurate FOR SOME! I type A LOT faster on the iPhone keyboard then I ever did on my Treos, T9 phone, or Sidekick.

I agree, the physical vs. on screen keyboard is largely personal preference. I have both a BB Curve and an iPod Touch, and believe it or not I like the Touch better for typing.

ggt

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
UK
For me, iPhone 3.0 brings nearly everything I need to a phone. Except for a few things:

1. Better notification system - IMHO, the current iPhone notification system is absolutely terrible. With push notifications coming, I really hope in the near future Apple changes their notification strategy. I hope they go with how either the Palm Pre or Android does their notifications - very well done, imho.

2. REAL Multitasking - I think this is an eventuality, so I can be patient on this one. Push notifications (for the most part) should cover around 70% of my needs. It's just the notification thing that needs to be adjusted (see point #1).

3. Better home screen organization - a form of stacks? Categories? Anything? It's getting a bit out of hand.

w00master

Couldn't agree more

Koola

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2008
UK
Want!

Looks set to replace my HTC Touch HD and be good competition for the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.