Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dewser35

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2008
Arlington, TX
I like the Pre. You can feel that the phone's applications are well integrated with each other, communicate with each other in a more fluent way, with a better flow of information. For instance, calendar events have attendees that you can find in your contacts - they are the same, not copy of the existing information..

I just looked up a meeting that I accepted ON my iphone and looked at the attendees... if they were in my address book to begin with, their contact information comes up... the same information that is on my phone... not a copy.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
I like the Pre. You can feel that the phone's applications are well integrated with each other, communicate with each other in a more fluent way, with a better flow of information. For instance, calendar events have attendees that you can find in your contacts - they are the same, not copy of the existing information.
The pre also has a very clever way to start new or switch between opened applications, something that the iPhone cannot do (not 'opened' applications).
Worth mentioning: no save button needed when you enter data (notes, address book...).
That global search is great, let's see how the iPhone 3.0's spotlight compares in terms of ease of use.
Of course, a lot of the UI has been borrowed from the iPhone, because it's already so good. However, it's been substantially improved in some areas.

In summary, the Pre focuses on the information whereas the iPhone has so far focused on the applications. It focuses on the user whereas the iPhone has so far focused on the device. The Pre will be a device you like to use whereas the iPhone is a device you want to use (for some it's difficult to see the difference :D)

In my opinion, this new device will give the iPhone a run for its money.
A long, fast, competitive run. And that's good news :cool: .

I completely agree. The webOS integrates all your contact information seamlessly (facebook messages, facebook IM, AIM, SMS messages, E-mail, phone, etc.) You make a fandango appointment and it adds it to the calander, etc. All of the apps communicate with each other, which is something the iPhone does NOT do nearly as well. Not to mention background processing.

Also, the demo unit is laggy because it's still in development - just like the iPhone 3.0 software is laggy and buggy.

I don't know any non-tech people who know what a Pre is. On the other hand, everyone knows what an iPhone is.

The Pre looks decent, but they don't have the consumer status that Apple has. I don't think it will be the "savior phone" that Palm needs to survive.

... the iPhone has been out for almost 2 years, the Pre doesn't even have a launch date yet. I'm sure people will know about it once the commercials start showing up - just like with the iPhone

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Really? Only a 90 day exclusivity contract for Sprint? Why would they even agree to something like that? :confused:

I agree that moving over to Verizon would open up a huge market for the Pre, but I'm just not sure what Sprint has gained from this deal. If I were considering a Pre, I would just wait for it to come to Verizon, especially if it's only a 90 day wait.

Like Apple with AT&T, neither Palm nor Sprint have been very open about the nature of their contract, but most of the reliable sources I've read seem to think it's 3 months, and even the lengthiest guesses I've seen say the exclusive will only run through the end of 2009.

In fact, this report claims Palm is already working on the GSM version of the Pre in hopes to have it ready for Christmas.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
You just prove me right.. The phone works best when you are on Windows then On a Mac.. Why because it was built to work on windows not Mac.. Yes you can use 3rd party programs but it not the same as having made to work from the ground up as the iPhone and even the iPod.. The iPhone is a true device that can work with the same software no matter if you using a Mac or Windows..

I don't think you understand: iSync was written by Apple, not Nokia. Nokia provide device specific plug-ins where required.

http://europe.nokia.com/A4299040

statik13

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2008
Palm was a classic of its time. Any company that can manage to withstand a direct assault from Microsoft (windows mobile vs Palm OS) as long as Palm did deserves respect!

Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
You just prove me right.. The phone works best when you are on Windows then On a Mac.. Why because it was built to work on windows not Mac.. Yes you can use 3rd party programs but it not the same as having made to work from the ground up as the iPhone and even the iPod.. The iPhone is a true device that can work with the same software no matter if you using a Mac or Windows..

What? Havent you used it in Windows? The way it syncs in Windows is a joke. In OS X its good, all the apps have built in functionality and you dont have to do anything special, in Windows you have to open up itunes to blindly sync things and hope it works (which isnt often), you have no control over anything, its a scary experience since it might delete things. Its so crappy that I dont bother using it in windows except for music. Its not even close to being as good in Windows as it is in OS X.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
You need to pray Palm is around.

yes indeed. The short time I have been arond here it seems a lot of people feel apple seem to be very conservative until push comes to shove.

Whether or not the Pre is a shove is yet to be seen but it seems to have awaken the designers at apple to perhaps give their iphone customers more of what the ones paying their salaries want instead of the ones getting paid to give us what they think we need

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
:confused::confused::confused: Your original assertion was
Slim02 said:
But seeing that the iPhone can sync up to both Windows and OS X.. No other smart phone can do that..

You seem to be trying to redefine your question to hide the fact that your assertion was WRONG.(I'd add flashy lights if I could)
And I hardly think of software written by the phone manufacturer to be third party - by definition they are party to the syncing process. It's just that bit more fluid with the iPhone because the phone manufacturer and the computer manufacturer are the same.

catracho

macrumors member
May 27, 2006
I don´t have an Iphone but I have an iTouch.

I will not deny that i will wait to see the new iPhone and if I the Pre is good enought for me, I am going to buy it.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
The only things holding me back from the Pre:

$$$ already spent on iPhone apps
the iPhone has a far superior music player
Sprint
Virtual Keyboard > Physical Keyboard for me

Randman

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla
I hope the Pre is a solid contender as that'll keep Apple on the ball and working to improve the iPhone. That said, come 3.0, it'll be hard for any phone to knock it off the top of the smartphone hill.

xhambonex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2008
Can you please not comment on this that you know absolutely nothing about? You are extremely clueless on the amount of time and work it takes to make things happen.

Spotlight could not have been done...took a lot of hard work.

And incase your head was up your ass the last month, Apple has made lots of changes to the new version, over 1,000 new API's so its not "just copy and paste".

Good for palm. I hope this phone inspires apple to continue to progress their products to a higher level. I'm glad to see the apple's presence in the producing better products from all manufactures. I like the look of it, but I don't think its going to hold up against the iphone. Just look at what he said, just remember that the big thing I wanted to see was the push notification system. And how well that will work.

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
no thanks, i hear jobs sucks to work for. and i don't do programming. Though they are a great company, I think they take these OS's for the iphone and leave things out just so they can update it with ooo spotlight, and copy and paste. That could have all been done in the second version.

Yes, you clearly don't do programming, you haven't got the faintest clue that programming takes skill and time, and that's why these features took so long to get onto the iPhone OS.

I would say that Apple didn't want to do a Windows Mobile and not do things right from the start just to have a feature tick, like all those other phones do that are hard to use. In the long run Apple's lack of features early on will be totally meaningless because they're there now or soon.

As for multitasking, people here seem to think that keeping the main CPU on at all times running applications doesn't use up battery life. Apple's notification system will run on the baseband CPU which listens for specially formatted text messages (just like Blackberry) for notifications, allowing the main system to sleep and preserve battery.

However I would like it so that when the system is actually being used, applications can be moved to the background temporarily but still run (memory permitting), because the main CPU isn't sleeping then so the battery life issues aren't so worrisome.

Also, I would like to say that I think the Pre has decent hardware and a decent grounding for an operating system, but there are clear problems with the OS - no native applications (yet), apps are widgets that run in the browser using HTML5 local storage, etc. Neat, yes. I bet the iPhone's Safari will be able to do this as well soon enough too. However Palm's solution isn't so hot for native 3D games, etc, like the iPhone. It all depends on how good Palm's SDK will be down the line, and I don't think it will be able to match Apple (or Microsoft).

Sebby

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
London, UK
I really don't think Apple has anything to be afraid of. The iPhone isn't (and probably never will be) the most advanced in terms of technology, but that's not what it's about, and that's why it's a winner.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Can you sync with a Mac? (iTunes stuff, obviously, not, but your own CD/DVD rips and contacts/schedule?)

It doesn't desktop sync period. They made a big point about that during CES. It only syncs to the "web" (Facebook, etc). If you don't keep your personal info in the "cloud," this phone isn't for you.

There will be an SD media slot. Therefore you should be able to drag music, pictures and videos to it manually. Although, they haven't been playing up its media playback capabilities. It's not even listed as a feature on their web page.

http://www.palm.com/us/products/phones/pre/

gerbilboy

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2009
The pre looks good but the next iphone will destroy it. (most probably)

btw

That woman's voice is super annoying! I couldn't watch the whole video.

xhambonex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2008
yes indeed. The short time I have been arond here it seems a lot of people feel apple seem to be very conservative until push comes to shove.

Whether or not the Pre is a shove is yet to be seen but it seems to have awaken the designers at apple to perhaps give their iphone customers more of what the ones paying their salaries want instead of the ones getting paid to give us what they think we need

what he said...apple can do better, I want to see better.

markm49uk

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Kingston Upon Hull, UK
How can this be compared ?

I'm surprised at how people can compare what is seen in this video to what is actually available on the iPhone - this looks entirely like a mock-up. No delays for network latency, no actual input of text via a keyboard of any type, no details on the 'multitasking' capability which like was mentioned in an earlier thread looks more like cooperative task management - not true preemptive multitasking.

I think many people will be disappointed when they actually get their hands on one on these units.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I'm surprised at how people can compare what is seen in this video to what is actually available on the iPhone - this looks entirely like a mock-up. No delays for network latency, no actual input of text via a keyboard of any type, no details on the 'multitasking' capability which like was mentioned in an earlier thread looks more like cooperative task management - not true preemptive multitasking.

I think many people will be disappointed when they actually get their hands on one on these units.

I take all comments here with the preconceived thought that everyone is taking this "demo" with a grain of salt. It shows what the Pre can do vs. how it works in real life. That of course is a wait and see approach.

I think The Pre looks good. But the iPhone has many huge advantages firmly in place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.