Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tirerim

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2006
I really don't see why Apple would get upset about this. More devices syncing to iTunes = more iTunes users = more money in Apple's pockets.

Er, except Apple gives away iTunes for free, to support sales of iPods. And the iTunes Store makes a little money for Apple, but not much -- again, its purpose is to drive iPod sales.

DougB541

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Palm is certainly looking for a fight here. Don't overlook the fact that several members involved in Pre's development are linked to past iPhone/iPod/iTunes development. This sounds like a clear non-compete violation to me, if they knew how to bypass iTunes exclusive syncing.

They certainly aren't being shy about taunting apple with this, though, so they've got their battle plans set.

Umm...I've synced blackberry's and WinMo phones with iTunes.

Its nothing new.

Kyprioth657

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2007
Apple will never break this compatibility! After all, they're the kinder, gentler, computer company that's more focused on customer satisfaction than profits.

Oh wait, no they're not. They're a business. Just like big bad evil Microsoft.

Cue Apple Fanbois,

"How dare you try and make the songs you purchased play on a different device than an iPod! You bastard!"

Yay DRMonoploy!

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
APPLE has stated in their annual shareholder reports that they make most of their money off of iPods and iPhones, and barely make anything from iTunes. This is a threat to the iPod/iPhone business, and Apple will certainly enact a software fix for this ASAP!

Attachments

• iphone_04.JPG
    iphone_04.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 269

Palm Pimp

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2009
I guess it's the same way the iPhone wil soon mimic a Palm Pilot's ability to copy and paste. Among other long-ago standard things.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I get the whole thing about competing fairly, but if Apple can break this (and I bet they can, but it might cause lawsuits) they should.

There are three parts to developing a portable device in this era. The hardware, the device's hardware, and the computer's software. Apple shouldn't have to allow Palm to get a free ride on 1/3 of the development, when Apple had to do it all.

NasserAE

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2009
I wonder if Apple going to be upset with former employees who joined Palm regarding this (or even take legal action) . Apple could argue that those former employees used Apple trade secrets with a competitor. However, I read somewhere that Apple does offer iTunes licensing for hardware maker to sync with iTunes.

owenimholte

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2005
corrupt the songs?

I am generally in favor of devices 'just working,' so it is nice what Palm has done and all, but since they took such a shady approach I think retaliation might be in order.

What if Apple reverse engineers Palm's approach, detects when Pre's are syncing, and acts as if the songs have been transferred normally. It will appear to the Pre as though the files have arrived just fine, but they have actually been secretly corrupted during the transfer (only the outbound files, not the library version) rendering them unplayable.

Or more hilariously, they could work out licensing with Rick Astley to rickroll Pre users on every track :)

ebrunn

macrumors member
May 13, 2008
I really don't see why Apple would get upset about this. More devices syncing to iTunes = more iTunes users = more money in Apple's pockets.

Apple would be happy to license the right to sink to iTunes. But not for free free free.

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
Exactly why do people have to assume that Palm being able to use itunes is "illegal" or that Apple won't put up with it?

Apple already lets certain other players work with itunes as per their own support document below so it's certainly possible that the Palm Pre could as well.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2172

Now should this require some licensing arrangement then that's where things might get ugly if Palm has not jumped through the proper hoops but at this point we simply don't know.

Personally I hope Apple allows it. If Apple decides to shut out choice, that can drive current and potential Mac owners away.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Isn't this a case of ....

"nothing to see, move along"

If a device adversities itself correctly it shows up in iTunes as an iPod.
It's one of those odd things from the SoundJam/iTunes conversions that just has never gone away. Seeing so few device ever complied with the usb device spec for a music player only iPods every showed up, an the odd other device that did.

But the Palm guys would have known that and it never hurts to let people think your bigger "Hackers" than you are.

belltree

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
I hope Apple don't allow this. :rolleyes:

Yeah, heaven forbid that Mac users should be able to choose *gasp!* what device they want to sync with their PAID library. Proprietary standards rock! Right? Keep drinking your Apple juice....

*note: I don't see how Apple could "not allow" it anyway. Sure they may change the device strings via a firmware update and a new Itunes release but then Palm could simply release a new firmware as well.

For those who are tired of the bullsh*t just download doubletwist and be done with all the drama.

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK

Except apple have always said iTunes is run at break-even to help sell hardware. This will be broken by next iTunes update, although nothing stopping pre owners just using an older version of iTunes.

meeksdigital

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2008
Sonoma, CA
Who cares!? If I worked at an Apple Store I would still post here. :) I would just keep it hush-hush at work

except maybe you're forgetting the fact that apple has people who specifically keep track of their employees online for this reason... people get canned frequently from the apple store where my friend works - and you'd be amazed for what reasons.

any current  employee posting on these forums is in clear violation of their employee agreement with apple.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It'd be interesting to see what "version" of the protocol that Palm is using. If it's working like a classic iPod then it could be difficult for Apple to block it because a change would involve pushing out new firmware for all of the old models.

Even if it synchs like a Touch, there would still be a delay before Apple could change the protocol; enough time to ensure that the majority of users are on the latest firmware before pushing out an iTunes update that requires it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.