Parking Diagonally

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by irain, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. irain macrumors regular

irain

Lately I've been parking my Firebird diagonally, as to take up two parking spots. I'm planning on doing this in my high school's parking lot as well. What I'm wondering is... can my car be towed away for parking diagonally/taking up two spots? Secondly, friends tell me that other students won't take well to it and will either purposely open their doors on my car, key it etc.

Any advice/input?

Thanks

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I know certain lots where you'd get towed for that. In most lots (especially if it always gets full), you can at least expect lots of angry notes on your windshield.

Why are you parking it over two spaces? To maximize the space between you and the cars next to you so they don't ding you?

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Just park it normally or you are just asking for trouble, whether from the school officials or the students.

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

you have to know you'll upset quite a few people by taking up a parking spot, especially if parking is tight at your school. if you continue to do it, i wouldn't be surprised if bad things happened. play it safe and park like the rest of us.

5. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Hope you like milkshakes. Because you'll get a lot of them thrown at your car.

Don't worry about dings. It's part of life. You'll have a very stressful life if you worry about all that little stuff.

6. Caezar macrumors 6502

Why would you park diagonally in the first place? Is the Firebird too long to park straight?

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, it's to reduce the likliehood of someone parking close to them and giving them a door ding :rolleyes: I don't know what makes people think that they deserve 2 spots so they can avoid door dings, while everyone else is crammed into fewer spots because of the diagonally parked idiots.

8. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

And you are important because? You drive a Firebird?

I agree with the previous posts. You are just asking for trouble.

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I think that's an incredibly immature, rude, and inconsiderate thing to do.

Would I go out of my way to harm a car parked as such? No. But if the car was parked say, at a grocery store lot like that? And I saw a cart rolling towards it? Would I go out of my way to stop that cart? Hell no. Would I smirk with a bit of glee as I heard it "thud" against said car? Hell yeah. Likewise, if I saw the driver walking to/ from the car you can bet I'll have a nasty-ass glare for the driver.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Agreed.

My car will be is a little over 3 and a half years old and I only have one noticeable door ding, and that came from not parking like a jackass. It's amazing what being respectful of other drivers can do for you ;)

11. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Simulation of your car after 1 week of taking two spaces in your high school parking lot...
    52xulcm.jpg

12. Caezar macrumors 6502

In this case, I trust his car will be a magnet for vandalism. If the guy cares too much about his car and is afraid of dings, why not buy an old Yugo?

13. bartelby macrumors Core

Advice:

Grow up and deal with it and stop being an arrogant bastard.

Cars get scratched, dented and such. So what, they're only things.

14. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

I thought this was a joke, at first. Why am I not surprised he was actually serious :rolleyes:

15. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I do have to agree, that taking 2 spots is just annoying. I understand not wanting to ding your car, hell I don't like dings in my car, and it's just a Corolla :). I would just try to get an end spot, and park as close to the side that doesn't have a car as possible. And for supermarkets park far away preferably in a corner, uphill (so carts don't roll into you). But like others have said taking up 2 spots ESPECIALLY at school is asking for trouble.

16. blackstone macrumors regular

If some jerk is selfish enough to repeatedly take up two parking spaces in a crowded lot, there's a good chance that my keys will "accidentally" make contact with his car if I happen to walk past it.

Don't be an a**hole. Just park in ONE spot. And if you're worried about door dings, then park at the edge of the lot so that only one door is exposed to dings.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

18. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I make life miserable for people who take up 2 spaces.

If its at the grocery store I like to surround their car with carts.

If it is at my university parking lot, I don't have to do anything. Parking is incredibly tight there (and I don't drive my car there), and those people can be assured that their car will be in worse shape than had they just parked normally.

Plus its a firebird. It's like a white trash sports car. You aren't cool for owning one.

I'm trying to link to a website that relates to this conversation, but it has the other word for butt in the url.

www.youparklikean*butt*hole.com

Replace butt with the "a" word and take out the *'s.

19. calculus Guest

calculus

Yes, don't do it...

I am amazed that you could think that this kind of behaviour is OK. Is there not a 'disabled' parking space right next to the building that you could park in instead?:rolleyes:

20. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

21. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm rather hoping this is a joke just to get people riled up.

However...

If it's not, I rather hope people do some dicked up things to your Firebird.

22. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

You'd get your wheels swapped for bricks anywhere around here for a trick like that.

Enjoy. :)

23. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I don’t drive and know absolutely nothing about cars or car-related ettiquette, but even I can see that you’re going to upset folk with this approach to parking. They paint those little lines there for a reason, so use them.

24. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Are you seriously asking what us people will think if you do this? Isn't is obvious....

That is a completely jackass thing to do, unless you are parking at a mall and no one is there and you are parked all the way at the outskirts of the parking lot 1/2 a mile away.

There is no reason why your car can't fit in a normal sized parking spot.

At my school there isn't even enough parking for the Senior Class and my school only has like 600 people total. If you did that at my school it would be illegal since parking spots are assigned, and if it wasn't people would probably hit your car with a baseball bat.

It's Pontiac FireBird man, not a 2007 Bentley Arnage T. It's a cheap american sports car that's not worth much and doesn't cost anything to fix. It's not a "cool" car, it's a cool wanna be car. Doesn't Dwight Schrute from the office have one?

25. juanm macrumors 65816

The amount of things to do is endless, but I'd pee over the car... It'd be inoffensive, and disgusting (for the owner, for me it'd be relieving) at the same time. After two or three times, you'd park like everybody else...

Steve Jobs does park on handicaped spots, but it's not cool. At least, he has a cool car, you don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.