PC laptops are UGLY

Aranince

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2007
California
I was just at Circuit City, and was looking at some laptops. All I can say is...I'll never buy one. They are so ugly its not even funny. All of the stickers and horrible case designs. All I can say is...I can't wait to get my MBP! Apple FTW.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
I was just at Circuit City, and was looking at some laptops. All I can say is...I'll never buy one. They are so ugly its not even funny. All of the stickers and horrible case designs. All I can say is...I can't wait to get my MBP! Apple FTW.
agreed. my folks bought a cheapo acer last year (they claim that macs are expensive and for nerds), and it looks bad, ports are all over the place and is very tacky looking. and the stickers don't help either.

macbook for the win.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
agreed. my folks bought a cheapo acer last year (they claim that macs are expensive and for nerds), and it looks bad, ports are all over the place and is very tacky looking. and the stickers don't help either.

macbook for the win.
Let your parents know they got it backwards...i.e. Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, who is the nerd?

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
This thread just made my day. I'm glad that there are others on the same brain wavelength as me. :)

paddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2005
TN
Yeah there's some nice stuff out there to be fair. Don't forget the Vaio's, Sony makes nice hardware! :) No :apple: though. :cool:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Honestly this Toshiba R500 is not half bad and > 2lbs. I find many PC designs to be less than innovative, but then again I find myself to be bias and I'm ok to admit it.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
I thinks PC laptops look better and better. You can thank Apple for that.
But most are just pretenders to the throne of delicious perfection.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I think HP laptops look pretty decent, especially the 17" models, but they are thick and can't compare to the 17" Macbook Pro.

Aaon

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
I've always been a fan of the Thinkpad look. Basic black, professional, and not totally covered with stickers. It almost has an Apple sensibility about it, not flashy, but with a little more rugged edge.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
My mom's HP dv2000 notebook is actually pretty slick - it's high-gloss black and silver. Aside from all the ports everywhere, it's a very nice design IMHO.

Ninden

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2005
Rochester, New York
:Hops in the wayback machine:

I had a Dell Inspiron 4100 at the end of High School/college. I loved it then (was still a super windows buff), but was it ever ugly. I remember seeing the 'customizable' wrist rests and LCD back, but they all seemed so cheezy.

The thing that irritated me wasn't the looks so much as it was the quality. Overall the laptop lasted barely two years as stuff kept on breaking. The casing cracked and things came off. (To be fair, I was rougher with it then my Powerbook/MacBook Pro. Young and wreckless :rolleyes: )

The laptop got very hot, so all the rubber foot pads would fall off because the glue would deteriorate in the heat. The removable ram plate cover had a black paint finish that just started to peel from the heat as well.
These were minor compared to the real problem. Case Design. The mouse buttons and trackpad area were too high. They physically touched the screen when closed and ended up destroying the screen. Physical indentations that make the screen appear white in that area.

I must say, while some people do get issues with their macs, I think the pc notebook folks get it worse, both in looks and quality. >.>