PC User Ready to Switch

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
582
0
Denton, TX
Like many others, I'm a long-time PC user who is ready to make the switch to an Apple. I've been considering it for the past year, as my current computer is an HP desktop that is ~5 years old. I saw the iMac shortly after it came out, and fell in love with its clean design, and the clutter-free lifestyle it offered. However, this summer I had decided an iBook would be best for me (entering college this year). Now, however, I've changed gears once more and decided an iMac is perfect, and feel purchasing an iBook next semester/year to be the better alternative, hopefully after Apple makes the transition to Intel. Right now I intend to buy it off the Apple Online Edu Store, as I feel my student discount will give me the iMac cheaper than I could get it from anywhere else. Lurking on the forums for a while, I've been able to glean a far bit of the information I've been looking for, but I had a few questions left.

First is regarding the iMac itself: I know that the Revision A has suffered from several heat-related problems, and that Rev. B is a great improvement..but was it good enough that you feel Apple isn't working on a Rev. C right now? Not a planned upgrade that will take place at the end of the cycle, but one specifically to correct any other recurring problems?

Second question is regarding my personal network setup. Right now, my wireless network is through a D-Link DI-624 Router, which is connected to DSL through my computer. My printer, HP Officejet 6100 All-In-One, is also shared wirelessly on the network, also through my computer via USB cable.

When I get an iMac, I am planning to redo my network so that the D-Link is conected directly into my DSL modem. I want the printer done likewise, but I see no way to connect it as the router does not have a USB port. So, I was thinking the best solution to this problem would be an AirPort Express Station, which would allow me to not only keep my printer "contained" (ie no cables running across the room to my iMac, etc), but extend the range of my network to provide better coverage for my house. However, the description of the Base Station..

"If you already have wireless at home, powered by an AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme Base Station, you can easily extend the range of your wireless network by connecting a second AirPort Express to it."

...seems to imply that the AirPort Express will not extend a wireless network powered by, say, my D-Link. Is this just a misunderstanding? I had thought the AirPort was compatible with existing networks, and vice-versa?

I've also heard that mixed networks see a decrease in perfomance when compared to an all AirPort network, as the entire network is then .11g.

Final question(for now :) ) is regarding some accessories, namely keyboard and mouse. My goal here is to keep the iMac and my computer desk free of as many wires as possible, so naturally I will be opting for a BT keyboard/mouse, and would like the official Mac product, so long as 1.) it is considered of good quality for its price, and also preferably 2.) I can find a good 2+ button mouse that would not be too much of a contrast to it. Also, a question about the built-in speakers..I am planning on eventually hooking my home theater system up to AirTunes and listening to my music from there, so I am assuming the built-in speakers are perfectly suited for games like World of Warcraft? I don't need loud 5.1 surround(my Xbox is hooked up to my theater system, as will my Xbox360), just good enough for WoW, maybe some video chat, etc.
 

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
582
0
Denton, TX
Just thought of another question :)

As of right now, my intention is to go with the Combo drive...from what I've read, it seems that an external DVD burner would be a better option than the SuperDrive, as I've heard the SD is old, I don't need to burn DVDs right now so I feel I'd be better off waiting and getting an external when the need arises. Anyone agree or disagree? Any recommendations on one to buy?
 
Comment

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
938
0
Seattle
Verto said:
Just thought of another question :)

As of right now, my intention is to go with the Combo drive...from what I've read, it seems that an external DVD burner would be a better option than the SuperDrive, as I've heard the SD is old, I don't need to burn DVDs right now so I feel I'd be better off waiting and getting an external when the need arises. Anyone agree or disagree? Any recommendations on one to buy?
Since you were originally attracted to the iMac because of it's clutter-free lifestyle, you may want to just go with the built-in.
 
Comment

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
938
0
Seattle
In reference to the mouse/keyboard question: I haven't used BT input devices by Apple before but instead of their BT mouse, maybe someone could give input on the quality of the "OS X driver-less" Logitech MX900. I've found a blog where someone used it with OS X and used another program to control the mouse: photomatt.

I have the corded version of this mouse (the MX500) and I love it... being able to take control of exposé and dashboard with buttons on my mouse is very convenient.
 
Comment

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
582
0
Denton, TX
Blackheart said:
In reference to the mouse/keyboard question: I haven't used BT input devices by Apple before but instead of their BT mouse, maybe someone could give input on the quality of the "OS X driver-less" Logitech MX900. I've found a blog where someone used it with OS X and used another program to control the mouse: photomatt.

I have the corded version of this mouse (the MX500) and I love it... being able to take control of exposé and dashboard with buttons on my mouse is very convenient.
I have the MX700, and love it. However, the dock(which I do like b/c it allows me to recharge batteries) is something I hope to shed.
 
Comment

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
2,952
0
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
I think you'll find most of us would recommend the Superdrive factory equipped with any iMac.

The stock 17" WS 2.0 GHz Rev B iMac with 128 MB VRAM is probably one of the best ready to go configurations Apple has come up with in years.

As, always, purchase any additional RAM 3rd party.

You should also be able to pick up a good used iBook later that will be plenty
for your portable needs.
 
Comment

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
746
13
for the printer:

hook your router into your modem.
plug your computers into the router.
plug your printer into your HP
right click your printer icon
click share
set up sharing
now go to your imac
go to print
select your shared printer from the list of printers
print to it

that's the free way to do it. works great for me.
 
Comment

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
582
0
Denton, TX
tuartboy said:
for the printer:

hook your router into your modem.
plug your computers into the router.
plug your printer into your HP
right click your printer icon
click share
set up sharing
now go to your imac
go to print
select your shared printer from the list of printers
print to it

that's the free way to do it. works great for me.
Yeah, that's how it is set up right now (other than the iMac part), but I don't plan on keeping it - it is on its last leg, as it were.
 
Comment

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
2,952
0
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
I just bought the new HP PSC 1510 AIO printer/scanner and it's really nice for $99.00 @ Office Depot.

It's also very Applese in style

White/Silver and even has the Apple style power button and a direct USB camera input.

 
Comment

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
582
0
Denton, TX
I took the plunge today, and ordered:

iMac G5 17'' 1.8 Ghz w/ Combo Drive
iWork '05 installed
Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mouse
250GB HD

iPod Mini 4GB

2 HP Deskjet 5740 Printers (accidentally put 2 on the order trying to get the rebate form to show up..will call Customer Service Rep when I can, and hope they will remove the extra one from the order :(
 
Comment

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,568
0
Verto said:
I took the plunge today, and ordered:

iMac G5 17'' 1.8 Ghz w/ Combo Drive
iWork '05 installed
Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mouse
250GB HD

iPod Mini 4GB

2 HP Deskjet 5740 Printers (accidentally put 2 on the order trying to get the rebate form to show up..will call Customer Service Rep when I can, and hope they will remove the extra one from the order :(
I think that you are going to be very happy with your purchase. That is an awesome setup. Wireless is the wave of the future.

You need to call Apple as soon as you read this. Sometimes they start shipping and once it goes to shipping the order can't be changed.
 
Comment

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
582
0
Denton, TX
I tried calling earlier today and received no answer, automated or otherwise..perhaps because it is Sunday? Either way, I will call first thing in the morning to remove the 2nd printer and bump up the 2.0 Ghz iMac.
 
Comment

My Yute

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2005
17
0
Y don't you just cancel the order you just made ( from the online page) and reorder?
 
Comment

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
582
0
Denton, TX
My Yute said:
Y don't you just cancel the order you just made ( from the online page) and reorder?
I don't see a place to do this...it leads me to believe I have to wait for the order to change from "Order Received" to "Processing Order"
 
Comment

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
582
0
Denton, TX
Well, after some initial trouble, everything seems to have been taken care of: My iMac was successfully changed to the 2.0 Ghz, the second printer was removed, etc.

The iMac is to ship by the Aug. 5, the printer by the 4th, and the iPod by the 1st (hm..) I would be very happy if it arrived by this weekend, but I'm sure that is no longer possible at this point. Still, glad to have the order worked out without having to cancel and start over.
 
Comment

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,568
0
Verto said:
Well, after some initial trouble, everything seems to have been taken care of: My iMac was successfully changed to the 2.0 Ghz, the second printer was removed, etc.

The iMac is top ship by the Aug. 5, the printer by the 4th, and the iPod by the 1st (hm..) I would be very happy if it arrived by this weekend, but I'm sure that is no longer possible at this point. Still, glad to have the order worked out without having to cancel and start over.
I'm very happy to hear that your order worked out alright. Yours was a painless change. I had a problem once that couldn't be fixed. Think that you will be extremely happy with your order, good luck.
 
Comment

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
582
0
Denton, TX
The iPod and printer are now "Preparing for shipment"..the iMac "Sent to manufacturing"..

Sorry for the probably repetitious-looking posts, but :p it feels like Christmas Eve.
 
Comment

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
6,173
363
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Verto said:
Sorry for the probably repetitious-looking posts, but :p it feels like Christmas Eve.
Don't it just? And don't worry, we all know what it's like to watch a Mac on order go through the various stages. You have no idea how many times I looked at the order status of my G5 tower which, being a first-gen, took two months of waiting.
 
Comment

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
582
0
Denton, TX
Question: Right now I've got 2.5 GB of music on my PC, split evenly between .mp3 and .wma...this and about 180 MB worth of .JPEGs constitutes the bulk of what I am planning to transfer from my PC to my iMac.

The plan is to transfer it over my wireless network, but I'm wondering how iTunes will handle the .wmas/.mp3s - will it try to convert it somehow, or be able to read them as-is?
 
Comment

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
582
0
Denton, TX
Oh, and a question about QuickTime: I don't plan on paying 30 bucks to get Pro, which I understand is the only way to watch videos full-screen. Can you guys recommend a free alternative media player for DVD playback? I don't need anything fancy, as I would only watch a DVD on my iMac once in a blue moon.
 
Comment

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
1,147
1
Portland, Oregon
Verto said:
Oh, and a question about QuickTime: I don't plan on paying 30 bucks to get Pro, which I understand is the only way to watch videos full-screen. Can you guys recommend a free alternative media player for DVD playback? I don't need anything fancy, as I would only watch a DVD on my iMac once in a blue moon.
The built in DVD Player plays DVD's (duh!) and has a full screen setting. Or you will find that VLC is the most recommended player for playing most formats.
 
Comment

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
582
0
Denton, TX
blodwyn said:
The built in DVD Player plays DVD's (duh!) and has a full screen setting. Or you will find that VLC is the most recommended player for playing most formats.
Oh, I thought QuickTime was the built-in DVD player.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.