Pebble Drops Prices on Its Watches, Pokes Fun at Jony Ive

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Pebble is dealing with the threat of Apple's upcoming Apple Watch by making jokes about the enthusiasm Apple employees have shown for the device. On its website, Pebble has a graphic of a gleeful Pebble, which says "Chill." Above that, are the words "Breathe, Jony. It's just a watch."

Further down, Pebble advertises the seven day battery life of its smart watches. "Why measure battery life in days? 'Cuz we can." This is a reference to the poor battery life seen in other smart watches, including Samsung's Galaxy Gear and the Moto 360, both of which last less than a day before requiring a charge.

Though Apple has not announced battery life of the Apple Watch, rumors have suggested that it will last for about a day, requiring nightly charging. It is likely, however, that the company is continuing to make tweaks to improve battery as much as it can, which is why no specific information on battery has been released.

Pebble also touts its customizability and its relatively low cost while poking a bit of fun at some of Apple's Apple Watch statements. "Overpriced trophy watch wasn't on our to-do list," reads the site. "Pebble is made by real people, for real people keeping it real," it says, wrapping up with the following statement: "Just to recap, we made a watch. We didn't solve global warming."

In addition to highlighting the capabilities of the product with sly references to the Apple Watch, Pebble has also announced plans to cut the prices of both the Pebble and the Pebble Steel. The standard Pebble watch now retails for $99, while the more recently introduced Pebble Steel retails for $199. Both options are quite a bit more affordable than the Apple Watch, which is said to start at a price of $349.

Pebble has also introduced new health and fitness capabilities for Pebble devices. Following an update, Pebble users are now able to track activity non-stop and monitor their sleep habits. Additionally, Pebble watches will be available in more retail locations, including Sam's Club, Fry's Electronics, and more.

Article Link: Pebble Drops Prices on Its Watches, Pokes Fun at Jony Ive

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
New hardware hopefully!

Its been a few years since the original came out.

The Pebble does very well at what it does…

yousifabdullah

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
Umm... tasteless? Why drop that low? Pebble already had good footing before smartwatches were taken seriously. Just no.

usersince86

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Pebble is a pebble, Apple is a rock

As in the past, people say Apple's product is "overpriced" and "no one will buy it"

While I don't think I'll be getting an Apple Watch (or any other watch), many people will, bc Apple's combo of hardware and software will get it right.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
As in the past, people say Apple's product is "overpriced" and "no one will buy it"

While I don't think I'll be getting an Apple Watch (or any other watch), many people will, bc Apple's combo of hardware and software will get it right.
I'm interested in the Apple Watch, its a nice device. But only after decent battery life.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
For the love of God. The Apple watch hasn't even been released yet and they are already running scared. :rolleyes:

Can manufacturers not advertise on their products own merits? Must they always make cheap swipes at Apple?

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
The apple watch will get many people really excited. Those who won't afford it may look to the Pebble as a more reasonable option. There are many people who don't even know it exists, but will likely very soon...once it becomes a more affordable alternative to the watch everyone will know about.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Maybe instead of taking snipes they should come out with some updated models. I have two pebbles, and they are ok for what they are (minus the bricking problems I've had), but a nicer screen and better build quality at a higher but reasonable price might attract some buyers.

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
I love my Pebble (backed it during its Kickstarter days.) When the Apple Watch was announced, I thought "Guess I'll be using my Pebble only until 2015." Weeks later, I'm not too sure now. Pebble does what it does best, without having to be everything the current smart watches do. So, depending on how the Apple Watch does, Pebble might still be around.

Good for them. I do hope a new revision is coming soon.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Drop the 'Steel' version to $149 and I'd consider it as I'm going to sit out V1 of the :apple:Watch. Not a big enough price drop for me considering what the Pebble watch does/is capable of. I'm not that interested in 7 days of battery life. If I can get a day I'm fine as I'll charge it while I sleep (so that's not a selling point for me).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.