Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Yet Vodafone alone has 427.99 Mill customers as of March (Vodafone's service is Unified worldwide, so it is a fair comparison). Wouldn't it be far more profitable to try reach out to more of these customers, than to gain only a fraction on Verizon? Nokia is in fantastical love and control over GSM markets, there's are far bigger potential for Apple to eat Nokia's Smartphone lunch than to serve a vocal minority. (That makes VZ less than a quarter in subscribers, than that of not even the biggest GSM provider BTW)

Verizon isn't the ONLY CDMA carrier on the planet. It would work on Sprint to as well as in many other countries with carriers that use CDMA. It appears that there are 480 million CDMA subscribers world wide.

bergmef

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
North East, MD, USA
I seriously lol'd at the guy who said Verizon has 90N loyal customers. ha! Bollucks, Verizon flat out bought ~15M of those from Alltel. Meaning people who didn't want Verizon in the first place. Now, iPhone 4 is going to be a huge seller (look at the pre-order mess), it is a wise move for Verizon to release rumors of a CDMA iPhone. However, truth is people are leaving en massè Verizon for the iPhone. They know it.

Didn't ATT buy cingular? How many customers in that buy out? Heck, did cingular ok the iphone before the ATT deal? I have to look up the timeline for that.

Branflakes

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
Didn't ATT buy cingular? How many customers in that buy out? Heck, did cingular ok the iphone before the ATT deal? I have to look up the timeline for that.
ATT IS Cingular. It was a name change. They merged a while before the name change.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

tthere5 said:
I used to be happy with AT&T, but as my dropped calls have gone up and my download speeds have gone down, I am getting more and more frustrated. I love iPhone 4, but I don't think I want another 2 years of this subpar service (why is quality getting worse??). So if this is true, I'll gladly hold off. But people have been saying this for years now... I'll believe it when I see it.

Can't say I completely blame AT&T for this. I use 3 phones with them: a chepo nokia for work, my iPhone 3G and my wife's blackberry curve. The only one that consistently drops calls is the iPhone. I think Apple's getting a little bit of a free ride with everyone blaming the carrier. Look, don't get me wrong I love the iPhone, to me all the other features are worth the twice weekly dropped calls but isn't it at least plausible that the hardware is partially to blame. Anyway I'm replacing my hardware and my wife's curve with iPhone 4s- so here's hoping my dropped calls diminish.:eek:

I've heard others say that, and it's a good point. But here's the counterpoint - the same hardware has nowhere near the same level of problems in other countries. It's almost like it's not one or the other but the marriage of the two. I know that doesn't really make sense, but I don't know how else to explain other phones being fine on AT&T and the iPhone being fine on other networks.

ghostlyorb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
Virginia, USA
People CDMA is dead in the southern hemisphere and has hit a brick wall in terms of technological progress. It would be silly for a company to release a phone for something that they know will be dead soon.

I must disagree. I know a RF engineer who does testing and stuff on all the cell towers in New England. He says that CDMA is the best there is. And he is even using AT&T. Unless you're a genius that knows more stuff than a RF engineer.. I have to disagree with you.:rolleyes:

Arn1499

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2009
Vermillion, SD
That's an un-useful comparison...

You completely missed the point.

My point was that regardless of "what everyone says" Apple still stands to make a considerable profit by allowing their iPhone to operate on CDMA networks. Even if CDMA is not the newest best thing, it will still be around for years and customers will still have devices operating on it. Thus, Apple will make a profit - which regardless of PR and whatnot, is their chief goal.

Merwenn

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
Not happening this year. Just give it a rest, please....

I agree. As a Verizon customer, I'm obviously tired of waiting and even more tired of the stupid rumors. They are never right, nobody knows about Verizon iPhone, I'll believe it when I see it and I don't think that's any time soon.

blindzero

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2006
I think November makes perfect sense:

AT&T originally were going to allow upgrades to iPhone 4 in November for those that purchased 3GS which is about 2 months earlier than they normally allow upgrades (6 months before 2 year anniversary). This could mean that November was the zero hour and when they were going to lose exclusivity.

Since they are now allowing those November early upgrades to upgrade even earlier next week- I think it's safe to say they are trying to snag everyone they can into another 2 year contract before Verizon lets the cat out of the bag and people start waiting out the end of their contracts.

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
HURRAY!

Oh, wait...I don't live in the US...

Frankly, the usual expectation is that US companies stiff any country that isn't the US and this is particularly the case with Apple. This time, however, the boot is on the other foot.

Cry me a river, USA

Captainobvvious

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Getting onto more US carriers is great for them and Verizon is a very very solid carrier...

I am sure it has already been said in this thread but the fact that you can't browse the web (or use any data even as simple as checking e-mail) while talking on the phone outside of Wi-Fi is a crippling shortcoming that will always stop me from going CDMA.

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
You all are wrong...

The PRE-ORDERS for the Verizon iPhone start in November 2010.

Expected time to get through on the website is January 2011.

Delivery date is April 1, 2011.

Captainobvvious

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
HURRAY!

Oh, wait...I don't live in the US...

Frankly, the usual expectation is that US companies stiff any country that isn't the US and this is particularly the case with Apple. This time, however, the boot is on the other foot.

Cry me a river, USA

Give me a break, the US has ONE choice of carrier most other countries have multiple choices... Something that has been envied by the US for a long time.

Stop playing the victim.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
I have no interest in a Verizon iPhone but I'm now hoping Apple produces and sells a CDMA phone. The more people that leave AT&T, the better my service will be. Win-win. :cool:

And with a mass exodus of AT&T users also departs revenue and incentive for AT&T to update their troubled network.

kskill

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2006
new york, ny
I'm guessing AT&T knew that Apple was opening the iPhone to Verizon later this year, which explains the upgrades they were offering to iPhone 3GS users. They wanted to lock people in before this news made it to the public.

100%. It hurts AT&T to subsidize a phone.. they do it because they know they'll be getting 2 years of service out of you and it'll pay off for them in the long run. I'd think they'd only cut the upgrade fee because they feel the threat of Verizon (or other carriers) on deck.

People who really want iPhone 4 will buy it no matter what the cost is, AT&T needed to win over the people who were on the fence.

mangohippo

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2010
I wouldn't read into AT&T allowing customers to upgrade early as a sign that they know the iPhone will find its way to Verizon. That $350 odd ETA really isn't crazy [if you were to switch to another carrier] when you consider you can sell an iPhone on ebay and not only break even on the ETA, but also almost break even on the price you paid for the phone.

That said, I can't see how Verizon wouldn't eventually get the iPhone, but this year seems like a stretch. They have AT&T in their pockets; why stop a good thing.

ChrisGonzales90

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon USA.
Intresting. I don't get why jobs has to be so stuck up over AT&T. Is he obsessed with them? Yeah back in late 2006 early 2007 cingluar was susposly great. When the merger happened it made it even better. But as time went on and the iphone became poplar mor and more people got the iPhone and that put a drain on the network. Let the iPhone be on the "big 4" as well as have it be sim card free and on prepaid non contract plans. (like boost) you'll make a lot more money if you open to the door to others as well as free up AT&Ts network a little.

Then again if it goes to sprint you may be able to use it in boost since boost also uses sprints CDMAn etwork.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Verizon isn't the ONLY CDMA carrier on the planet. It would work on Sprint to as well as in many other countries with carriers that use CDMA. It appears that there are 480 million CDMA subscribers world wide.

And the biggest GSM provider in the world is larger than that. :rolleyes: Just under half a mil? GSM is well over 1 billion and its not a stretch to say 2 billion.

ChrisGonzales90

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon USA.
It seems no one really remembers what happened. ATT did not own nor buy Cingular. Cingular actually bought ATT and then changed its name to ATT.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/02/17/technology/cingular_att/

I still remember when our Cingular store opened. I also remember when they were out there replacing the sign to say AT&T

I also remember the mall location. This one had an apple store like sign (imbedded in the wall) so it made it a bit harder to replace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.