Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Peloton today announced a new stationary workout bike that is compatible with Apple's GymKit, allowing Apple Watch owners to easily pair with it for metric syncing and more accurate activity tracking.

peloton-bike-plus-treadmill-gymkit.jpg

The Bike+ features a 23.8-inch rotating HD touchscreen that allows users to switch between cycling sessions and Peloton's trainer-led floor-based workouts, while a new four-speaker audio system offers better sound quality.

The equipment also comes with new intelligent setting called "auto-follow" that allows users to let the Bike+ automatically adjust resistance based on the user's Target Metrics.

The Peloton Bike+ costs $2,495 and will be available to order from September 9. Anyone with an original Peloton Bike will be able to trade it in and get a $700 credit towards the new model. The All-Access Membership costs $39 per month and includes all of Peloton's guided instructor courses.

Also today, Peloton announced a shakeup of its treadmill lineup. The original Peloton Tread has been renamed Peloton Tread+ and the company is launching a new, more affordable model that will inherit the name of the original model.

The new Peloton Tread includes a 23.8-inch touchscreen, a smaller tread base, and a new running platform designed to make training easier. The new Peloton Tread will launch early next year and will cost $2,495.

GymKit was introduced in watchOS 4.1 in October 2017.

Article Link: Peloton Announces Bike+ With Apple GymKit Support

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
I'd love to buy the Tread but not available in my country. My running workouts took a big hit due to Covid, I want to run at home but most treadmills are junk.

PinnyHead

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2019
I wonder what the promotion will be called when the Peloton treadmill breaks after a few hundred miles of use (just like their bikes)

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
So I have been trying to buy a treadmill for two weeks. They are sold out everywhere, and while I considered Peloton I couldn't justify them on the grounds that I am no longer running track.

I would like to know some really important things about this new Tred: belt running area, continuous motor horsepower, GymKit support.

ELman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
Apple will acquire Peloton before year end.
Funny you say this, I was just thinking the same thing. Maybe they could tie an Apple Music and TV subscription into the $40 monthly fee Peloton charges. It's not so much the price of the bike. The monthly fees are the negative point for me.

Just sayin...

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2008
I wonder what the promotion will be called when the Peloton treadmill breaks after a few hundred miles of use (just like their bikes)
I just broke the 6k barrier for rides taken this year on my Peloton bike (that’s 6,000 minutes). That’s in addition to a larger (but untracked) total amount in 2019. The only problem I’ve had is that one of my pedals was starting to creak, which was traced down to a losening screw on the shoe plate. Maybe I got lucky?

Nevertheless, I will look at the new bike+ and see if any of the addons/improvements are worth the cost/hassle of switching. For me in these times of COVID-19, the Peloton bike has been a HUGE win.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
You can buy a great bike with accessories, clothing for all weathers and an Apple Watch for significantly less. Get out and see the world FFS, or at least your neighbourhood! Instead of being cooped up in the house like a chicken. FFS.

Apples and pears. Despite being a bike at heart, the Peloton experience is very different from the cycling one and there's aspects of it that may appeal to, or motivate, people who'd have no interest in cycling. Also, I've yet to hear of anyone getting killed in a Peloton accident.

This from a keen real world cyclist and Zwifter who's also tried Peloton.

Reactions: larryj and Zaren

ender78

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
You can buy a great bike with accessories, clothing for all weathers and an Apple Watch for significantly less. Get out and see the world FFS, or at least your neighbourhood! Instead of being cooped up in the house like a chicken. FFS.

May work where you live, but up here in Canada we have this phenomenon called weather. Winter can be brutal. I feel ways safer on my Peloton than outside.

Love the outdoors, but for those of us in harsher climates, the Peloton is a great experience. The social part plus coaching is great as well.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Funny you say this, I was just thinking the same thing. Maybe they could tie an Apple Music and TV subscription into the $40 monthly fee Peloton charges. It's not so much the price of the bike. The monthly fees are the negative point for me.

As someone looking for new equipment it defiantly gave me pause. I don't have a reference for the value, but the $39 a month is only a littler higher than iFITs family plan ($33 / mo). What do I get for that extra $72 a year?

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2010
Who knew a day would come where you would not only have to pay 2.5k on an airer but to pay a monthly fee in addition to it.

Times are changing.
Who knew you would need online courses in how to excercise on a stationary bike?!?

Seems like i could figure that out on myself just fine, thank you.

progressivebpm

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2016
Austin, TX
Man o' man. We just got our Peloton Bike a couple months ago for the same price of the new Bike+. It'd be nice to work some sort of trade-in with them given the new features of Bike+. And personally, my fiancé and I love the Peloton Bike! It's an a$$-kicker.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Man o' man. We just got our Peloton Bike a couple months ago for the same price of the new Bike+. It'd be nice to work some sort of trade-in with them given the new features of Bike+. And personally, my fiancé and I love the Peloton Bike! It's an a$$-kicker.

Well, the new bike is $2495 plus I'm sure the "delivery fee" of $250, so I think it's actually still more expensive vs. the old bike (prior to the price drop).

FYI, they're offering a $700 trade in ... :rolleyes:

Reactions: progressivebpm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.