People who keep returning the new Ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gadget123, Mar 29, 2012.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Can't believe how many posts I see who are returning perfectly good Ipads for the smallest of reasons.

Thing is once you use the Ipad you don't notice the colour difference. All you are doing is opening new Ipads and wasting them and no doubt will be back on the market as refurbs in a few months.

The colour tint isn't a fault it's been common since the 3GS > 4 change the screen looks warmer.

2. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

I'll agree with the warmer screens. I think those iPads are fine for the most part. If it's blotchy that's a good reason to return, though.

3. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes the pixel problem one which seems in a small minority by all means return.

But Apple should limit it to 3 returns then say forget it refund or pick another product.

4. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

I don't think they should limit but it's their call to make whateve policy they want. If a customer keeps getting dead pixels the iPad is defective and not the cusomer.

5. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

The dead pixel issue is different than the blotchy screen. Yes, some iPads have a warmer yellower tint, but there have been some iPad screens that were inconsistently yellow. That's gotta suck and should warrant an exchange.

And how is it the customer's fault? "Oh I've received four defective products in a row, none of which are my fault. Guess I should either suck it up or bite the bullet." Glad you're not in charge of retail.

6. ea9 macrumors regular

People who keep worrying about apples bottom line.

Leave it alone... this happens in retail everyday. Hell, contact Costco ask them to change their policy. Seriously, who cares.
    There are loads of new iPads on the market so if someone feels like returning 20 of them let it be.

Even though I have a very warm screen compared to my iPad 2 I chose to keep it because everything else looks fine. However, if there really are a lot of defects out there, I rather the people let Apple know about it for the sake of better future quality control.

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

The Geeks at my Apple store says some stores already have refurbs and most will by this weekend as the 14 days is UP!:p

----------

We will NOT let it be. These OCD people do nothing but drive up the cost of our goods.

Your feeling of "entitlement" is so typical!:mad:

8. Dweez, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012

Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

If I'd spent multiple hundreds of dollars on a product and it were flawed, I'd return it as well.

9. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

Don't blame crappy QC? Really? And the OCD tagging is about as dumb as it gets.

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's not a "feeling of entitlement". The store policy allows returns and its Apple's decision as to what conditions they apply. Best Buy has an even more generous policy now (30 days). This was not mandated by the government. Your use of the word "entitlement" is suspicious and reeks of some type of political philosophy (gee, what could it be?)

Someone expecting an iPad for free would be a feeling of "entitlement". Someone expecting a fully functioning product that they paid full price for is not.

11. Giov macrumors member

So what are you going to do with these people whom you ''misdiagnosed'' with OCD? I suggest you deal with your own OCD of trying to judge these poor souls. You owe them all an apology.

12. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

OCD ... the human mind is perfect at creating problems it thinks exists. Look at psychopaths and other disorders - a lot of it has to do with the mind. Read those papers of Doctors who give actual medicine vs placebo pills - those who received the placebo pills did a lot better. http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2010/12/these-fake-pills-may-help-you-fe.html is one of many many articles on this.

Now, don't discount me just because I'm "insensitive." I returned my first iPad 3 because of the entire screen being a very noticeable reddish hue and the top part leaking light in daylight (even the Apple Genius said: "Yeah, that needs replacing"). But after reading all these posts and people asking if their screens are ok or thinking they have problems - a lot of it is made up worry.

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

The concern isn't for Apple, it's for the carry through effect. Abuse of a generous return policy tends to cause it to become more restrictive, thus potentially negatively affecting the rest of us who don't abuse it.

Funny you mention Costco, that's exactly what happened a few years back. Abuse led to a more restrictive policy.

Nearly everyone here would agree that one should return/exchange in the event of real defects. That's appropriate and fair use. What's abusive is repeated/excessive returns for perceived "defects" that exist only in the mind of an obsessive perfectionist and/or only under extreme conditions that nobody actually uses the ipad in (dark closet max brightness lightleak.)

14. imlynxy macrumors 65816

When Apple had good quality products I never returned them.

15. carlos33018 macrumors newbie

If its broken- Return it

In my books :

Dead pixel = Return
    Yellow tint = Return
    Screen Viewing issues = Return

If the device I purchased is short of absolute perfection, I will return it. If you purchase a new car and it came with a DOOR DING would you really purchase it? How about a curbed RIM from a previous test drive ? Personally, I think keeping a device with a problem is settling. There is plenty of inventory, and guess, what these companies run numbers on returns. I am sure that if the return rate is HIGHER than normal someone internally will be asking why. If Samsung has a problem with their displays, they need to address it. There are expected failure rates on all components even at the point of manufacturing so if there really is an overheat issue it needs to be addressed. These devices are this expensive for a reason, one of them being the costumer service behind them. Take advantage of it, its your money dont forget.

16. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Perfect examples.

If there is a real defect that is fine but a single stuck pixel, a gash that all of a sudden appeared on the bezel that i do not know where it came from, my ipad get red hot . . . . on and on it goes. Bunch of whiners get on this site and bleed together! LOL! SHEEP!:p

17. badpinoy macrumors regular

remember Steve Jobs was a perfectionist. If consumers aren't happy about imperfections let them return it.

18. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

We're the sheep. LOL!

19. urkel macrumors 68030

This is one of the things that bothers me about Apple diehards. Complaining about minor issues, returning products because of the slightest dissatisfaction or going to message boards to express frustration happens with EVERY company and nobody goes around "Stop complaining that your leather seats were stitched wrong! You'll run BMW out of business and discourage sales!". But with Apple then something is wrong from a buyers perspective and suddenly the CONSUMER is at fault for not expecting less than perfect quality on their expensive purchase.

Apple tells customers to report issues and go to a genius, So there's no need to lay a guilt trip on consumers for following their advice.

20. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

When you buy a car it isn't perfect. The question is whether you can see the imperfection or not. If you can show your device to a couple of individuals and they see the issue without you telling them what it is then there is a real problem. If you have a ding in the door that is an obvious issue that anyone would see. The issue here is that many only see the issues when they go looking for them. If you want to look for imperfections, you will always find them.

21. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Agreed.

I can see them running from one thread to another and then to thier device to see if they hold it up to the light just right so that they can see if theirs has a defect, too!

Baaaaa Baaaaa

I am beginning to think that the cost of these iPads was such a large investment to these people that their entire little world revolves around them!:rolleyes:

Then we are talking about Apple people!:apple:

22. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

I'm in the car business and while I don't think your analogy of comparing a $500 ipad to a new car purchase is a good one, I do agree that the consumer should expect a quality product.

I think the issue many people including myself are concerned about is the perception of a problem that in many cases people would not even notice, if it were not for the paranoia and panic created on these forums by obsessively compulsive individuals. This is my first iPad and while my screen is fine from what I can tell, I'd have no idea about a yellow screen if I wasn't hanging out on MR.

23. ZipZap macrumors 601

Did we really need another thread so you can voice your inaccurate opinion.

Yellow is not normal...return it
    Dead pixels.....return it
    red hues .... return it

Everyone deserves an ipad that does not have these issues.

If Apple does not want the waste...improve QC.

24. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

The we can call it a learning experience in what to look for in a quality screen. Why does it default to OCD?

25. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

Perhaps OCD is not a good term to use because there are truly OCD people in this world and dealing with one would not be a pleasant experience.

But just because its my first iPad, it's not my first consumer experience with a product. It's really listening to all the complaining that goes on in this forum about any little thing from not getting your device at 10 am on launch day to the magnets being wrong on the cases. As a society,we no longer have ANY flexibility or tolerance for imperfection of any kind. We've just become so spoiled.