Petsmart removed from Apple Pay list

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Poterie, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Poterie macrumors newbie

After reading a post yesterday about Petsmart no longer appearing on the official "coming soon" list I sent off an email to corporate.

The response this morning was they were no longer accepting Apple Pay - sorry for the inconvenience.

I'll be sorry to lose them as a pet supply retailer, but it'll be off to Petco for me.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why change retailers because they dropped apple pay? Does Petco (which is typically more expensive then PetSmart) accept Apple Pay?

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, Petco is an official Apple Pay retailer. I've used it there.

4. Zxxv macrumors 68040

My guess. Its the only protest they listen to (a drop in their income). Dont let them win.

5. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Or you could just use American Express at Petsmart :)

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

In my area they are more expensive. Is using Apple Pay worth buying pet supplies for more money?

To me, apple pay is but one possible payment method. If a retailer doesn't use it, but provides either good prices or good service I'll use them. Lack of Apple pay is not a deciding factor. In a sense I could care less about further lining apple's pockets (they get a piece of the action for every use).

7. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Petco has better rewards, anyway. And they will price match petsmart.

8. Zxxv macrumors 68040

for me yes i'd do it. Unless your pet was ultra thin and almost dying i'd bet it could do with eating less :D

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Some people care more about security.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Perhaps, but to be honest, I've been happy with my Amex and the services they provide. I can't speak for the OP, but people seem more wrapped up about apple pay because its from apple and less about security. Just based on what they've been posting. But you're right, there's more security with apple pay and in this day and age, you can't be too careful.

Still, with my usage habits, I'll still go to Petsmart over Petco only because I feel they're better - YMMV :)

11. Zxxv macrumors 68040

These days I don't carry plastic so I'm more inclined to push for apply pay to be accepted. Even going out of my way and "inconveniencing" myself. Different people, different ways :)

12. erzhik, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014

erzhik macrumors 6502

You are abandoning a retailer because of Apple Pay? You can argue security, but how did you survive for so many years without Apple Pay?

13. Sketchr, Nov 4, 2014

Sketchr macrumors 6502a

I won't abandon Petsmart over Petco completely. I tend to shop both retailers almost equally. But the message should be communicated:

This is what your customers want. Apple Pay. It's important to them. Adopt it.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

In defense for the OP, people have been dealing with security breaches left and right these past few years. Just because they have had no issues, 5 years ago means they should keep doing the same old same old.

The security breaches at major retailers is increasing all the time and your personal info is being compromised left and right. I think the approach of Apple Pay is a great step in the right direction.

15. oddnendz, Nov 4, 2014

oddnendz macrumors 6502

oddnendz

Why do you care about what he does with his money?

16. JayLenochiniMac, Nov 4, 2014

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

1) To send a message to other retailers and 2) the more we use Apple Pay, the lower chance of skimming and mass data breach.

Already this past year both my and my wife's cards were skimmed but stopped cold as a result of point of sale fraud prevention. Still an inconvenience to deal with canceled cards and wait for the new ones. The data breach at major retailers like Target and Home Depot doesn't help either.

17. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

If you don't vote with your wallet, how else do you get your point across to a retailer that wants your busniess

18. Poterie thread starter macrumors newbie

Even though I didn't mention security in my initial post, that is my concern AND it's my reason for buying an iP6.
    My credit cards have been compromised numerous times in the last couple of years and if I have technology available NOW to curb that, you bet I'm going to use it. I don't mind driving a little distance (or using mom/pop stores) to ensure that. I wrongly assumed that the security issues were just a given at this point with all that's been written about it.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I wouldn't change my habits just to use Apple Pay. I would use it when I could. And I definitely won't be using CurrentC.

20. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

Neither of them sell food worth feeding your dog anyway.

21. deeddawg macrumors 604

Actually, Petco does. They're my backup when poor planning on my part ends up with me out of dog food on the day the small independent shop I usually use is closed. :)

Agree with you on Petsmart though.

22. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

What do you feed you dog? Premium beef?

23. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

Maybe they have different products in different areas. Here they sell all the crap like Purina, Science Diet, Pedigree. Like feeding a child McDonalds every day.

----------

They eat Annamaet.

24. HenryDJP macrumors 603

LOL, I'm sorry but if a few iPhone owners think getting all huffy about a store not supporting Apple Pay and threatening/deciding (especially when the company gets millions of other customers happily using their credit cards and cash) to go to the competition is going to get a store to change their mind (as if they are scared to lose a few iPhone customers) then those iPhone customers need to seriously step out of their reality distortion field, cuz it ain't gonna happen.

25. ElectronGuru, Nov 4, 2014

ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

When Amazon gives away their margin, they do so so enough people will abandon smaller retailers, and they can be the only game in town (and charge you more than you were paying in the first place). This is just that in reverse.

Pay more long enough to show how important ap is, then switch back when they've come to their senses.

I've never had my phone stolen. But I know it's less likely to now be because find my iPhone makes it so. I have had my accounts breached, had to sit in the bank for an afternoon while a clerk hand transfers my account from an old record to a new. And I got off easy.

Stores have had decades to get this fixed and instead of getting better, it's worse each year. There's a new sheriff in town and his name is Tim. This will get fixed one way or another.