Phil Schiller comparing iPad Mini to Nexus 7

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mcfinch, Oct 23, 2012.

1. mcfinch macrumors member

Did anybody else think Phil Schiller looked like a prick when he compared the two?

2. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

It's the biggest competitor. Why wouldn't he compare it?

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

No. He was laying out the reasons they didn't go with 16:9 and illustrating how much better tablet-designed apps are compared to scaled up phone apps.

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Yet the Nexus has a better screen, more RAM, is Quad core, and less $$$$$. Dumb tablet to compare it to.

5. mcfinch thread starter macrumors member

A big reason the web looks different is that the Nexus 7 has a different ratio... not a big deal

6. marc11 macrumors 68000

I laughed at the comparison, it was so narrow that anyone who really knew anything about the Nexus 7 would be saying, "yeah but what about memory, storage, PPI, processor, etc....oh and price"

Although I will agree he pointed out the Android controls on the screen, Google needs to offer a full screen mode that hides those controls in the browser if not there already.

7. MR1324 macrumors 6502

i owned and used the nexus 7 for 2 weeks. he is absolutely right about all points.

8. remlover macrumors newbie

I was scratching my head too. It's too bad that the mini won't have GPS like the Nexus.

9. marc11 macrumors 68000

GPS is THE reason I am picking the Nexus over the mini. The other stuff is just added benefits. But having no cell GPS on the go is huge for me.

10. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Yes. His disdain for the inferior and utterly fetid Nexus 7 was apparent. As he ravished the rather pedestrian and incomplete Android tablet applications I could hear eerie music in my head as if the Nexus 7 was about to meet its grisly demise and I was a willing spectator for the debauchery.

11. Outdoorsben macrumors member

The mini has AGPS.

12. ougum macrumors regular

The only folks he could fool are those who never used the Nexus before.

13. ahmet macrumors member

Actually iPad mini has GPS and Glonass as it is written in Tech Specs page. ;)

14. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

prick? really?

he's trying to sell a product and tell people why it's better than the competition

if anything, it will push Google to make a better Nexus :apple:

15. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

The Mini doesn't have GPS?!

16. profets macrumors 68040

Higher PPI? Yes, better screen? Doesn't seem like it based on early reviews. I always read about the Nexus 7 screen being 'washed out', but people don't mind as it's a cheap tablet anyway.

The cpu, ram may be better, but at the end of the day, people interact with the screen and use apps. If the mini is the same physical size as the N7, but accommodates a larger screen and has a much better selection of software, then that may matter a lot more than the clock frequency of the cpu or whether the ram is 512 or 1024 MB.

17. marc11 macrumors 68000

Have you seen a Nexus 7? The screen is amazing, even in bright store lights and blows away the iPad 2 side by side. I read it being washed out too, but in the real world, it looked great to me. It also has far better PPI, 216 IIRC, which is far higher than the 1024x768 mini.

Software selection is relative to what you actually use. You can quote the number of apps, but for the 15 I use, they are available on both platforms equally.

As for CPU, the Nexus is a quad core the mini dual core. Not sure about frequency.

18. Rodster macrumors 68040

He should com[are the two because come Oct. 29th, i'm buying the 32GB Nexus 7. I hope they still have the $25 Google Store credit. :)

19. marc11 macrumors 68000

Oh really? I missed that, if so, good on Apple! Is it true GPS, or wifi assisted, if wifi assisted its a fail.

20. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I have one and I totally agreed with everything he said.

21. profets macrumors 68040

Haven't used it for more than a few minutes. I thought it was a good device, I honestly like what they do with the Nexus line in general.

I just consistently see people/reviewers talk about the screen being washed out, but they don't let it bother them with it being a cheap tablet.

I love the idea of the mini, but I myself don't think I can use one with it being 163 ppi. If they can get 2048x1536 into this thing next year that would be beautiful.

22. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I have the N7 and the screen is far from washed out. Higher PPI, yes, isn't that what apple fans have clutched onto for years when talking about every other phone that didn't have as high of one as the iPhone 4? Now they're on the low side and suddenly it doesn't matter????

Lets face it, they took a iPad 2 and shrunk it, took 2yr old tech and repackaged it. The norm is for apple products to wow on their merits, this isn't the case this time because although the quality will likely be top notch as it always is, they're trying to sell you an inferior product when compared to other 7in tablets on the market right now. Like I said, the Mini will sell on it's name and name only.

23. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

No. He showed the strengths of the Mini and it's aspect ratio.

I'd fully expect Google to do the same. I'd show a 16:9 movie on the two tablets, where the Nexus will have it full screen and the Mini would have black bars. Oh, and whatever scene was playing on the movie would include Scarlett Johansen.

24. profets macrumors 68040

It definitely does matter. Enough so that I wouldn't buy one for myself. I can't imagine using a 3G/3GS type screen again.

But it will still sell, it's an iPad and has an excellent ecosystem and apps already available for it. That's how it'll sell.

25. maccompatible macrumors 6502

Maybe, but won't people enjoy using it, too? I'm sure once people buy it for it's name they won't open it and be like "WHAT? This should have been a nexus 7 with it's higher ppi screen and faster processor! LE RAGE!!!"

Chances are it'll be more like "Oh goody. My iPad mini was delivered today. I'm going to use it and enjoy it."