Phil Schiller comparing iPad Mini to Nexus 7

mcfinch

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2010
Did anybody else think Phil Schiller looked like a prick when he compared the two?

darngooddesign

macrumors G3
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
No. He was laying out the reasons they didn't go with 16:9 and illustrating how much better tablet-designed apps are compared to scaled up phone apps.

Comment

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2008
Yet the Nexus has a better screen, more RAM, is Quad core, and less $$$$$. Dumb tablet to compare it to.

Comment

mcfinch

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2010
No. He was laying out the reasons they didn't go with 16:9 and illustrating how much better tablet-designed apps are compared to scaled up phone apps.
A big reason the web looks different is that the Nexus 7 has a different ratio... not a big deal

Comment

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I laughed at the comparison, it was so narrow that anyone who really knew anything about the Nexus 7 would be saying, "yeah but what about memory, storage, PPI, processor, etc....oh and price"

Although I will agree he pointed out the Android controls on the screen, Google needs to offer a full screen mode that hides those controls in the browser if not there already.

Comment

MR1324

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2010
i owned and used the nexus 7 for 2 weeks. he is absolutely right about all points.

Comment

remlover

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2012
I was scratching my head too. It's too bad that the mini won't have GPS like the Nexus.

Comment

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I was scratching my head too. It's too bad that the mini won't have GPS like the Nexus.
GPS is THE reason I am picking the Nexus over the mini. The other stuff is just added benefits. But having no cell GPS on the go is huge for me.

Comment

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Did anybody else think Phil Schiller looked like a prick when he compared the two?
Yes. His disdain for the inferior and utterly fetid Nexus 7 was apparent. As he ravished the rather pedestrian and incomplete Android tablet applications I could hear eerie music in my head as if the Nexus 7 was about to meet its grisly demise and I was a willing spectator for the debauchery.

Comment

ougum

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
I laughed at the comparison, it was so narrow that anyone who really knew anything about the Nexus 7 would be saying, "yeah but what about memory, storage, PPI, processor, etc....oh and price"

Although I will agree he pointed out the Android controls on the screen, Google needs to offer a full screen mode that hides those controls in the browser if not there already.
The only folks he could fool are those who never used the Nexus before.

Comment

ahmet

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2012
GPS is THE reason I am picking the Nexus over the mini. The other stuff is just added benefits. But having no cell GPS on the go is huge for me.
Actually iPad mini has GPS and Glonass as it is written in Tech Specs page. ;)

Comment

Yr Blues

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
prick? really?

he's trying to sell a product and tell people why it's better than the competition

if anything, it will push Google to make a better Nexus :apple:

Comment

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
Yet the Nexus has a better screen, more RAM, is Quad core, and less $$$$$. Dumb tablet to compare it to.
Higher PPI? Yes, better screen? Doesn't seem like it based on early reviews. I always read about the Nexus 7 screen being 'washed out', but people don't mind as it's a cheap tablet anyway.

The cpu, ram may be better, but at the end of the day, people interact with the screen and use apps. If the mini is the same physical size as the N7, but accommodates a larger screen and has a much better selection of software, then that may matter a lot more than the clock frequency of the cpu or whether the ram is 512 or 1024 MB.

Comment

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Higher PPI? Yes, better screen? Doesn't seem like it based on early reviews. I always read about the Nexus 7 screen being 'washed out', but people don't mind as it's a cheap tablet anyway.

The cpu, ram may be better, but at the end of the day, people interact with the screen and use apps. If the mini is the same physical size as the N7, but accommodates a larger screen and has a much better selection of software, then that may matter a lot more than the clock frequency of the cpu or whether the ram is 512 or 1024 MB.
Have you seen a Nexus 7? The screen is amazing, even in bright store lights and blows away the iPad 2 side by side. I read it being washed out too, but in the real world, it looked great to me. It also has far better PPI, 216 IIRC, which is far higher than the 1024x768 mini.

Software selection is relative to what you actually use. You can quote the number of apps, but for the 15 I use, they are available on both platforms equally.

As for CPU, the Nexus is a quad core the mini dual core. Not sure about frequency.

Comment

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
He should com[are the two because come Oct. 29th, i'm buying the 32GB Nexus 7. I hope they still have the $25 Google Store credit. :)

Comment

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
Have you seen a Nexus 7? The screen is amazing, even in bright store lights and blows away the iPad 2 side by side. I read it being washed out too, but in the real world, it looked great to me. It also has far better PPI, 216 IIRC, which is far higher than the 1024x768 mini.

Software selection is relative to what you actually use. You can quote the number of apps, but for the 15 I use, they are available on both platforms equally.

As for CPU, the Nexus is a quad core the mini dual core. Not sure about frequency.
Haven't used it for more than a few minutes. I thought it was a good device, I honestly like what they do with the Nexus line in general.

I just consistently see people/reviewers talk about the screen being washed out, but they don't let it bother them with it being a cheap tablet.

I love the idea of the mini, but I myself don't think I can use one with it being 163 ppi. If they can get 2048x1536 into this thing next year that would be beautiful.

Comment

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2008

I have the N7 and the screen is far from washed out. Higher PPI, yes, isn't that what apple fans have clutched onto for years when talking about every other phone that didn't have as high of one as the iPhone 4? Now they're on the low side and suddenly it doesn't matter????

Lets face it, they took a iPad 2 and shrunk it, took 2yr old tech and repackaged it. The norm is for apple products to wow on their merits, this isn't the case this time because although the quality will likely be top notch as it always is, they're trying to sell you an inferior product when compared to other 7in tablets on the market right now. Like I said, the Mini will sell on it's name and name only.

Comment

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
No. He showed the strengths of the Mini and it's aspect ratio.

I'd fully expect Google to do the same. I'd show a 16:9 movie on the two tablets, where the Nexus will have it full screen and the Mini would have black bars. Oh, and whatever scene was playing on the movie would include Scarlett Johansen.

Comment

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
I have the N7 and not the screen is far far from washed out. Higher PPI, yes, isn't that what apple fans have clutched onto for years when talking about every other phone that didn't have as high of one as the iPhone 4? Now they're on the low side and suddenly it doesn't matter????

Lets face it, they took a iPad 2 and shrunk it, took 2yr old tech and repackaged it. The norm is for apple products to wow on their merits, this isn't the case this time because although the quality will likely be top notch as it always is, they're trying to sell you an inferior product when compared to other 7in tablets on the market right now. Like I said, the Mini will sell on it's name and name only.
It definitely does matter. Enough so that I wouldn't buy one for myself. I can't imagine using a 3G/3GS type screen again.

But it will still sell, it's an iPad and has an excellent ecosystem and apps already available for it. That's how it'll sell.

Comment

maccompatible

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
I have the N7 and the screen is far from washed out. Higher PPI, yes, isn't that what apple fans have clutched onto for years when talking about every other phone that didn't have as high of one as the iPhone 4? Now they're on the low side and suddenly it doesn't matter????

Maybe, but won't people enjoy using it, too? I'm sure once people buy it for it's name they won't open it and be like "WHAT? This should have been a nexus 7 with it's higher ppi screen and faster processor! LE RAGE!!!"

Chances are it'll be more like "Oh goody. My iPad mini was delivered today. I'm going to use it and enjoy it."

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.