Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Thanks for posting that! Is there no way to make it go full screen in the native app?

How about posting a shot of Apple.com?

BigHonkingDeal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2009
Fort Pierce
Thanks for posting that! Is there no way to make it go full screen in the native app?

How about posting a shot of Apple.com?

I think You have to download an add on for full screen....

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-10-26-19-55-43.png
    Screenshot_2012-10-26-19-55-43.png
    265.6 KB · Views: 100

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Comparing a $199 table to a $329 tablet is like comparing a Kia to a Corvette. Yeah some people are going to like the gas economy and the cheapness of the Kia but what they want is the speed and sleekness of the Corvette. Or simply put you really can't compare apples to oranges.

That's an interesting view point. It has been demonstrated that people expect a product perceived to be premium, to be priced at a premium. If the iPad mini was priced starting at $429, what would you say then? Is every product that is cheaper than its equivalent Apple product therefore inferior?

Byeen

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Why? You got to sell your products and make your money before you can afford to be innovative and have money to fund the research and development. Apple is pushing a lot of new component into this refresh of almost the entire line of product and they are paying the price of doing so in term of higher cost and delay product production. What do you think passbook do? What about the fly over in the IOS map? what about the in-cell touch screen that Apple use in Iphone 5 allowing the phone to be thinner and lighter? What about retina display across the product line? I think Iphone 5 is the thinnest smartphone made. Those don't count?
Yea, you're right, these are important changes of products which are in production already. But I was talking mainly about this new product and it's comparison with competitosr, that was not a style of Apple I used to know.

Last edited:

MisterDisney

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Apple always went after their competitor. It's just that it used to only be Microsoft. And I'm sorry, but Phil honestly made the case for the iPad mini's design, in part, by comparing it to a flawed product that is the closest competition. Every point he made was accurate. You either agree and buy one, or you don't.

People over complicate this stuff. It's like freaking out because you bought a 3rd gen iPad, 2 months ago... or even six months ago. Yes, there was a refresh. The new one is twice as powerful, twice as fast, and is positioned to break into new markets. So, what? You can keep yours and be happy, or sell it and move on.

You haven't been duped, no one betrayed you. A new piece of technology is getting released.

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden
Seen from a marketing and branding perspective it can indeed be a good idea to compare your product to a competitor's if the brand of your company and the brand of the product in particular is stronger. Seeing as the iPad Mini carries the name iPad it would be considered a brand extension of the original iPad and therefore (perhaps logically) has a strong brand even though it's new in the smaller tablet segment.

One could argue that since the iPad is the market leader and more or less is considered the best device its brand is stronger and thus the Nexus is the underdog in this scenario, making it a good idea to compare them.

If, on the other hand, the iPad were to be the weaker brand there's a risk in comparing the two products. In short, the weaker brand's ad/comparison can lead to the consumer or customer only remembering the stronger brand's product, as I would argue to be in this case.

Just my 2 cents as a communications student with a special interest in brand management and marketing :)

MisterDisney

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
So you know, first hand, what Phil was talking about. I thought he stayed on the idea a little too long. But it's obvious what Apple didn't want to do, what they saw as being a lesser experience. Just saying they were failures, didn't make sense. They are highly successful, budget-minded, products. And the iPad mini really isn't even in the same category.

vwnut13

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012
Higher PPI means smaller fonts are easier to read right?

Doesn't that mean that you would have to do more zooming to get the same text quality on the iPad?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I just made this for a different thread, but it's applicable here. There is nothing special about this website, but the top is a 16:10 Nexus and the bottom is a screengrab of the 4:3 iPad.

Thanks!

Illustrates perfectly why I dislike 16:9 panels!

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Higher PPI means smaller fonts are easier to read right?

Doesn't that mean that you would have to do more zooming to get the same text quality on the iPad?

Well yes and no.

Type is clearer so you don't need to zoom as much, but because of the physically narrower screen everything is smaller so you might have to zoom more.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I laughed at the comparison, it was so narrow that anyone who really knew anything about the Nexus 7 would be saying, "yeah but what about memory, storage, PPI, processor, etc....oh and price"

No company would ever do a fair comparison in public with a competitor's product, they would always weigh the scales in their favour. Samsung has done the same thing is some ads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.