phones are getting too powerful, but laptops are not.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hcho3, Feb 15, 2011.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Phones are going quad core this year. But, our laptops are still in dual core...

I just don't understand anymore.

2. mdgm macrumors 6502a

The dual core in the laptop would be much more powerful than quad core in a phone.

3. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

Excuse the cliche, but you're comparing apples to oranges.

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

thats funny ... I've noticed both getting better :cool:

phones too powerful? I don't understand what you are saying

5. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Laptops are getting more powerful and as for phones when is it ever too powerful? You may find yourself needing that extra power in the future as other things progress and advance.

6. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Computers are a long ways from being too powerful. Im waiting for mobile 36-core super computers to where I cant possibly do anything to slow it down. It would compile all actions instantly.

7. vistadude macrumors 65816

You're comparing PC's and macs. Mac's always have used less powerful and older processors.

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Soon phones will replace laptops and laptops will replace phones. They will evenly replace each other and become the same as it is now. :cool:

9. mdgm macrumors 6502a

Now that is just confusing :confused:

10. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

My point is that nothing has changed. Someone please quote me Simon Pegg's bravo clap, now! :D

11. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

The processors in phones are based on a different architecture (most likely ARM) than the processors in laptops. Two different types of processors. Apples and oranges as someone said above.

12. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I think phones generally are trying too hard.
    I never thought I`d say it but enough already I don`t want or need my phone to try to be my bloody laptop.
    Modern smartphones are just starting to get a bit ridiculous (imo) with most manufacturers trying to cram more funtionality into a small device ill suited to the purpose.
    I don`t care what anyone says, browsing full-size web pages on a phone is a catastrophically bad experience and something I would only ever do out of desperation.
    The same is true of many laptops, more power and features sure but usually with a compromised battery life to pay for it.
    Most i7 laptops I have come across have woeful run-times on battery for exmaple.

13. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

So, don't buy a smartphone.

14. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

My whole point is that most smartphone manufacturers seem too focused on cramming more and more features in at the expense of actually making the thing easy to use.
    Making a phone call is obviously pretty low down the priority list for many of them.

15. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Yep. My company just issued me an iPhone4. Don't know why. My 4 year old Samsung "voice only" phone did just fine. Battery lasted forever.

It even showed me the date and time. :p

P.S. I'm the only iPhone user that doesn't have Angry Birds.

16. Kauai macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

I'll keep my increasingly useful (to me) smart phone, thanks. Anyone who remembers what it USE to be like browsing the web on a phone just three-four years ago I'm sure agrees with me.

17. electronique macrumors 6502

Current notebooks can easily run most commercially available software, thats curently being developed - ie, I can run Final Cut Pro on a 2.4Ghz Core2Duo, editing HD video.

Most of the current phones still struggle with the apps that developers are making - ie, I have a Desire HD. While its a brilliant phone, it does struggle under load, every now and then.

So no, OP. Im not sure you're correct.

18. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I`m not totally against smart phones as such, check my sig, however I strongly feel that we are getting to saturation point in terms of useability.
    And no matter how good the phone is, a full size web page on a 3.5-4.0" screen is a bloody awful experience.

19. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Until I can run Crysis on my phone, they're not powerful enough.

20. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

A bloody awful experience is better than being not able to "experience", and the iPhone has already made that experience much less awful than... let's say Symbian's browser.

and that "awful experience" is exactly why apps are so popular in smartphones.

Popping out a 7" or 10" tablet on a crowded subway train is not really feasible.

21. davidcmc macrumors 6502

Laptops are not weak, MacBooks are.

Don't speak about MacBooks as general laptops around the World.
    Today you can buy powerful laptops for the price of an entry MacBook Pro 13".

22. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Yes, I just want generic PC laptops (I've been using PCs for 15 years, don't get me wrong I'm not a die hard fan of Apple Inc.) that have a trackpad as great as, and startup time as fast as, that of the Macbooks/Macbook Pros. I just wish for these. Then I will happily sell my current Macbook Pro and buy yet another PC laptop. :)

23. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

What do you mean by too powerful?
    You can't have enough power, you know?

Really though, go look at bestbuy.com and you'll see sub $500 laptops with an i5. It's just Apple.

24. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

My thoughts exactly. Spec wise, Windows laptops have a lot of options.

25. ChrisA macrumors G4

In a VERY rough way "power" is the product of the number of cores times the size of each core. The cell phone cores are TINY.