Photo of the Day : January 2011

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TheReef, Dec 31, 2010.

1. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

2. Pillar macrumors 6502

Pillar

Brought picture in my recently bought LR3, so I could get familiar with the APP. .

*Please bear with me, for I'm a beginner with photography*

Attached Files:

• LGT.jpg
      LGT.jpg
      File size:
      105.3 KB
      Views:
  3. BMP84 macrumors regular

BMP84

[​IMG]

1/250 f/7.1 ISO 200 10.5mm

1 Sunpak 522 on top step at 1/4th power, another 522 fired off camera right (4ft) at 1/2 power.

Hey everyone, my names Brian. I've been lurking around these forums for quite sometime, thought I might join in the fun that is POTD.

Critique and Comments gladly accepted!

One Question, is that size acceptable? Or should I keep it to 900px wide one the longest side?(like most forums)

4. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

The size is fine. As for C&C: I think you did a great job here. The composition is excellent, and the low vantage point works really well. It looks like you probably clipped your green channel, resulting in a magenta tinge in the quarter tones and blown highlights in a few small places, so you probably could have dialed down your lights a bit. There are also large areas of crushed blacks, but I don't think it's a problem in this one; we're not losing shadow detail where we would want to see it, and the black helps to frame the subject.

5. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

6. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

prefers the chase... endures the race

[​IMG]
    D300, 80-200f/2.8, 200mm, f/4, 1/1000, ISO800

7. TheReef, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

TheReef thread starter macrumors 68000

TheReef

Welcome Brain,
    I think you've done well, excellent composition, lighting and a colour scheme that works. You've caught him at just the right moment, communicating the concentration in the face, the balancing act and careful foot placement ready to make the exit.
    Great work, keep them coming :)

The size is good, most people here go up to 1024px on the wide side as you've done.

Nice shot... you've done well to nail the focus.

Another winner, Phrasikleia.

Nice complication of interests :D If there were a shot that represented you (as far as I know you anyway) this would be it :p
    All that's missing is the Oregon coastline in the background :p

8. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

9. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Nice shot with spot on focus, however on my w*rk monitor the blacks looks crushed, can you do anything in post to bring out the details slightly?
    IMO that would turn this into a killer shot.

I also take it being 3' away with a 300mm lens this is basically the shot as is with minimual crop, sweet!
    From your flickr account

10. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Thanks, Reef, nice to hear since the shot I took most recently (yesterday evening) is so far a real loser. I keep wrangling with it in post, trying to coax out the vision I had in my head, but it doesn't seem to be in there. Can't win 'em all, I guess. :(

11. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

12. dbales macrumors regular

An early September shot along Route 66 outside Los Lunas, NM.
    GPS: N 34°53.435' W 107°04.730'

[​IMG]

13. Cliff3 macrumors 68000

Cliff3

It's your work monitor. I use a regularly calibrated 30" ACD, and viewing the original photo reveals individual feather detail in the black area.

14. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I too have a calibrated monitor and see detail in the blacks. Nonetheless, I think a curves adjustment to brighten it up a bit wouldn't hurt.

15. mikeschmeee macrumors 6502a

Your idea is intriguing. May you show me how I am able to adjust the black tone via curves? I only know how to do a simple cross process with the curves adjustment with CS2.

16. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Got it, I'll check at home later (calibrated monitor).
    I really like the shot.

17. pdxflint, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Haha... :D You're pretty right on there... but beer is missing, too. (And fishing boats.) Dogs, bikes, beer, and the people of dogs, bikes and beer -- sort of been my photographic palette of late.

Love these little chickadees... plenty of them in these parts. BTW: there's good tonal range and detail in the shot viewed on my older MBP. I see detail in the blacks... they don't look crushed on this end.

18. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

This is a really beautiful image. One of the best skateboard shots I've seen recently. I'm so tired of everyone shooting extreme sports with a fish eye lens, this is a breath of fresh air.

19. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Well, I usually start out by dropping a control point in the middle of the line. If I want to bring up the shadows, then I'll start by lifting the midtones to see if they need to come up as well, and then I'll drop another control point at the 3/4 tone mark and lift that one a bit. I then work between those two points until I get what I want. I also usually end up dropping a third point in the quarter tones to maintain control over the lighter parts of the image. It's rare that I need more than three points.

20. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

This is a reshoot of the Twin Barns at the Nisqually Delta. Better light and a better lens.
    [​IMG]
    Canon XSi Canon 100mm L macro ISO 200 f/8 1/100 second

Dale

21. BMP84 macrumors regular

BMP84

Thanks for all the kind words, I didn't want to quote everyone's stuff to reply, So I figured this would work.

Been a fan of all you guys for some time, glad to be posting with you all.

I agree with the comment on the blacks, and tint. I have been experimenting with a new "look" to my photos, and I am still perfecting the "look". So I thank you for your input, as it will truly help me next time I'm editing.

Thanks again,

Brian

22. Rowbear macrumors 6502a

Rowbear

Very good B&W treatment. Good job :)