Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zoowatch

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Sheffield, UK
i'd be more excited if the same happens with Front Row

Waiting for Apple to exercise some marketing & sales common sense

sell them as separate suite for any Mac

Wire_Apple_Geek

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2002
Durham NC
Misinformed

ErikGrim said:
It is a stand-alone application, but it's in CoreServices and relies on frameworks only available in the 10.4.2-versions coming with the new iMacs. It also performs a check if there's a remote present.

Ok for starters both of your comments in this post are incorrect. Front row is not a stand alone app, it also requires the interfacing of a AppleScript as well, most people dont know this as it is a hidden file.

Second it doesnt do a check for a remote. I have no remote for my powerbook and it works just peachy.

Last but not least for everyones clarification it will work on any machine. But Erik is correct it does require 10.4.2, i have it presently loaded on a mac mini, a g5 tower, and my powerbook. One flaw is the the movie section does not properly support files not supported by quicktime in your ~/Movies folder.

There are some other minor issues with it that im sure will be resolved in the near future.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Wire_Apple_Geek said:
Ok for starters both of your comments in this post are incorrect. Front row is not a stand alone app, it also requires the interfacing of a AppleScript as well, most people dont know this as it is a hidden file.

Second it doesnt do a check for a remote. I have no remote for my powerbook and it works just peachy.

Last but not least for everyones clarification it will work on any machine. But Erik is correct it does require 10.4.2, i have it presently loaded on a mac mini, a g5 tower, and my powerbook. One flaw is the the movie section does not properly support files not supported by quicktime in your ~/Movies folder.

There are some other minor issues with it that im sure will be resolved in the near future.
It is a stand-alone app (I should know, it resides in my Application-folder), just as Software Update is a stand-alone app (that too resides in CoreServices). And its running happily with my iMac (May 2005, not the new one). It did check for a remote (it came up in the console log), but that is removed in the cracked version. It specifically requires a new version of the BezelServices.framework that is found on the build of 10.4.2 on the new iMacs. It also requires a new version of the DVD-player for DVD-playback.

Furthermore it now works with SallingClicker.

purell16

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2004
Just visited the Apple store and the new photobooth is a lot of fun. I hope they release it for other mac though, even though I dont have an iSight...which would make the whole thing kinda pointless...hmm

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
purell16 said:
Just visited the Apple store and the new photobooth is a lot of fun. I hope they release it for other mac though, even though I dont have an iSight...which would make the whole thing kinda pointless...hmm

Yeah, you might want to look into getting an iSight to take full advanatge of that app - it's just a little bit important. ;)

theory4themusic

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2004
even bigger "hehe"
Yeah that's a Revision A 17" FP iMac. 800 mhz G4, 512mb RAM, graphics card not even worth mentioning.

Attachments

• frontrow.jpg
    frontrow.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 268
  • frontrow2.jpg
    frontrow2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 278
  • photobooth.jpg
    photobooth.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 280

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
EricNau said:
At this point, since everybody is putting it on any mac computer - Apple should make it available to everyone -as it kinda is right now.
I'm sure they will. Eventually. They would be stupid not to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.