Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Volcano22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2013
Manchester
Hi, apologies if this is the wrong forum to post this query into. I've recently bitten the bullet and upgraded my iCloud storage and backed up all of my iPhone videos and photos innit to iCloud (1500 photos and videos). I've chosen to keep the originals on my iPhone 6 as well (I have a 128 MB iPhone so have the space to do this).

My main question was if I now purchase a new iPhone 7, login to my account and and restore my phone from a back up or iCloud will all of these photos and videos be stored on my new iPhone? Are the photos in iCloud also high resolution versions? I want my new iPhone to have the same content.

Sorry for the simple question but iCloud backups and storage have always confused me. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
With iCloud Photo Library all your photos are stored at full resolution. Buying a new iPhone and logging into your AppleID with iCloud Photo Library turned on will start repopulating all your photos on the new iPhone. Low res thumbnails at first while the full resolution version downloads, which obviously take awhile.

Do not confuse iCloud Photo Library with any of Apples other iCloud photos because those aren't full resolution...shared photo stream and what not.

This applies to all your Apple devices btw, new and old. Buy an iPad or Mac and turn on iCloud Photo Library and your images will download there as well.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
@cynics is right, you should turn on iCloud Photo Library, and "Optimise iPhone Storage", then you won't need to take up all that space on your phone, but the high res originals will be available whenever you need them.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
@cynics is right, you should turn on iCloud Photo Library, and "Optimise iPhone Storage", then you won't need to take up all that space on your phone, but the high res originals will be available whenever you need them.

I plan to buy a 256GB phone for my next iPhone and am definitely going to turn optimize storage OFF so that I have every single one of my photos on my phone in full resolution.

Hell, it's like having another backup, and you can watch videos in better quality (the video you get when you have optimize storage on, if it has to pull from the cloud, is slightly lower quality. Compare it :) )

Reactions: ray737

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
I plan to buy a 256GB phone for my next iPhone and am definitely going to turn optimize storage OFF so that I have every single one of my photos on my phone in full resolution.

It takes about 2 seconds for it to grab the full res version when you open or edit an iCloud photo, so I don't see the benefit of filling my phone storage with them.

And I have no idea what you're talking about with videos. Where does it say that downloaded videos are compressed? Also how are you able to side by side compare the same video, locally and via iCloud, on the same phone?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
It takes about 2 seconds for it to grab the full res version when you open or edit an iCloud photo, so I don't see the benefit of filling my phone storage with them.

And I have no idea what you're talking about with videos. Where does it say that downloaded videos are compressed? Also how are you able to side by side compare the same video, locally and via iCloud, on the same phone?

If you have optimize storage on and the video you try to watch isn't on your phone, the version it downloads to show you is NOT the original full quality video you took.

There is a visible quality difference, especially on an iPad. If you select the video and force the original to download (by trying to share it to an app), you can notice the quality increase now that the original is on the device.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
If you have optimize storage on and the video you try to watch isn't on your phone, the version it downloads to show you is NOT the original full quality video you took.

There is a visible quality difference, especially on an iPad. If you select the video and force the original to download (by trying to share it to an app), you can notice the quality increase now that the original is on the device.

Ok, and how is that a problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.