Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lotusman

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
The 'concept' interested me... but these guys must have been living in a cave for the last decade....

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
"low resolution" is an understatement. The blender on my kitchen counter has a better digital display.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Two or three years from now, we'll likely look at the first-gen Apple Watch and say the same thing about it -- bulky and low-res display compared to future versions. Remember how the iPad evolved?

I don't think anyone will call the first released Apple Watch "low-res". Bulky, probably not. Bulky watches are in fashion right now (and I absolutely hate it), the Apple Watch doesn't seem to stand out, and this won't change in 3 years. In fifteen years time, maybe they will be called bulky.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
bulky? Give me a bulky Apple Watch with 1 week battery life than less than a day skinny one ANYDAY

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Two or three years from now, we'll likely look at the first-gen Apple Watch and say the same thing about it -- bulky and low-res display compared to future versions. Remember how the iPad evolved?

Already think that, same with the iPad when first released. The iwatch (still calling it that) is something that needs to be thin more then a phone.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
While I don't like this exact design. I think for placement, it's better in certain situations than the apple watch.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
OMG its huge! You won't be wearing that with French cuffs (or any cuffs for that matter)

And be careful not to fall off your yacht. You'll sink like a stone. :)

I think it must have an inflatable life raft inside, right?

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I'm taking a guess here... Not one on here owns a decent well crafted watch that costs over 4k? You know one that is actually hand made? Without a battery? If you have one you would realise that this concept is aimed at someone who wants the convenience of not holding your phone in your back pocket or shirt pocket but would like to see any notifications. This isn't designed to be an iwatch killer or replacement, its designed to compliment a crafted watch without the need to wear a brash battery operated piece of bling that you have to charge up every day.

Mac Rumours did a great bit of editing here by not telling you what its actually designed for and you all fell for it! Great click bait MR :)

Have owned Omega watches for years. After my last Omega was stolen about I didn't immediately replace it, and then I bought my first iPhone...

I've been waiting for the iWatch for the last 4 years.

If I ever buy a mechanical timepiece again, it will be more for its jewelry function than for its ability to inform...

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
I'm taking a guess here... Not one on here owns a decent well crafted watch that costs over 4k? You know one that is actually hand made? Without a battery? If you have one you would realise that this concept is aimed at someone who wants the convenience of not holding your phone in your back pocket or shirt pocket but would like to see any notifications. This isn't designed to be an iwatch killer or replacement, its designed to compliment a crafted watch without the need to wear a brash battery operated piece of bling that you have to charge up every day.

Mac Rumours did a great bit of editing here by not telling you what its actually designed for and you all fell for it! Great click bait MR :)

They're hand assembled, not hand made, and not even fully hand assembled, depends on the watch.

This POS is ridiculous and it is as luxurious as the next one's ass, it is so ridiculous that we would need a word that doesn't event exist. Seriously, who can sell that as an accessory to attach to a luxury watch?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Yeah, I don't think many people understand that Apple's competition with this device is high-end watch makers, not Android watches. This is like 2007 all over again. The fancy watchmakers think that Apple just won't come in and take over. Hah. 1% this year, 40% in five years. That's how they do.

This makes me wonder what an Apple Watch would look like in 5 years. The original iPhone came so far from 2007 to 2012. This also makes me wonder if Apple will update the product annually, or wait longer between updates like some of their other devices. Or if we can buy the next version "body only" and use the same bands.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
I'll just take the Montblanc watch itself. To heck with this silly "e-strap" or even an Apple Watch for that matter!

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
This makes me wonder what an Apple Watch would look like in 5 years. The original iPhone came so far from 2007 to 2012. This also makes me wonder if Apple will update the product annually, or wait longer between updates like some of their other devices. Or if we can buy the next version "body only" and use the same bands.

I'm waiting for 2nd-3rd generation, where I assume it will be slimmer and sleeker (and obviously, more capable). Right now it just looks a bit too bulky and bulbous to me. They've got a good start but it's not really "there" yet from a design standpoint, for me. I also wish they would center up the crown, it looks off-balance as it is now.

As for the bands, I'd be very surprised if the current bands won't be usable on future generations.

But they still have an issue of how to upgrade people every few years for something so expensive. Or put another way, how to get people to buy into something so expensive that will be obsolete in a short period of time (relative to your typical watch, which might stay useful and relevant past your own lifetime).

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Have owned Omega watches for years. After my last Omega was stolen about I didn't immediately replace it, and then I bought my first iPhone...

I've been waiting for the iWatch for the last 4 years.

If I ever buy a mechanical timepiece again, it will be more for its jewelry function than for its ability to inform...

I 100% agree. If I wanted to count my steps I'd buy a $1 pedometer. Why spend $350 on an ugly, bulky Apple Watch to tell me the same thing?

----------

While I don't like this exact design. I think for placement, it's better in certain situations than the apple watch.

For one thing, the Montblanc is a real luxury timepiece. I can't help but think the Apple Watch is just an expensive and kitchy gadget. We'll see but I don't think the luxury high-end timepiece manufacturers have anything to worry about. Apple's trying to tap the luxury fashion timepiece market--a market that they have zero experience competing in. I can see the Apple watch perhaps being useful for health reasons and for working out, but beyond that it has no appeal to me at least.

lkwan

macrumors member
May 3, 2007
Mont blanc

this has to be the ugly smart watch design i have seen yet. even the crap the chinese market has been selling for years is better than this POS!

No wonder why samsung keeps churning out models every 4 months... no one has a clue on how to my a smart watch!!!!

March can't come fast enough!!!

----------

Yeah, I don't think many people understand that Apple's competition with this device is high-end watch makers, not Android watches. This is like 2007 all over again. The fancy watchmakers think that Apple just won't come in and take over. Hah. 1% this year, 40% in five years. That's how they do.

I use this ed colligan quote all the time in the sig of my emails!!!!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Since this is worn on the inside of the wrist wouldn't it easily be scratched?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.