Picked the wrong time to switch to Apple/Mac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AbeFroman77, Aug 3, 2011.

1. AbeFroman77, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2011

AbeFroman77 macrumors 6502

My first Mac: 2011 27" iMac 3.4GHz, 4GB, 6970M 2GB, 256SSD + 1TB HDD. Preinstalled with Lion.

I am one of the victims of the system freeze issues after resuming from sleep and playing a video, whether it be Youtube, iTunes, or QT. Only way to recover is to hold down the power button.

So, I'm preventing my iMac from going to sleep and I play a youtube video earlier and this is what I get (notice the menu bar, dock icons, and dock indicator lights.

[​IMG]

It just works... LOL.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You appear to be having some bad graphical glitches. You could have a faulty video card. Have you taken it to the Apple Store to have it checked out?

3. AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not the only one with this issue. There's a 30+ page thread at Apple Support. It's most likely a driver issue. Supposedly the issue has been known before Lion was released.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3194165?start=0&tstart=0

4. AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple better come out with a fix before my 14 days or I'm returning this and will think again about paying a premium for a PC with an Apple logo. When I switched to Windows Vista I didn't even have any problems close to this.

5. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

But did you call up apple and ask them about it, or take it to a store to check out. Just because a lot of people are experiencing the problem does not mean its universal. Give them a chance to make it right. I don't say this because "apple rules". the same advice is true of any company.

6. AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

If you want to go through the steps I went through, look at that thread. I'm pretty much done with getting any help but waiting for a fix from Apple.

7. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

8. AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've already been through all the avenues. I'm just waiting on a fix from Apple. Why do I need Caffeine? I set my iMac to never sleep under energy saver preferences.

9. Contiguous macrumors member

So, you've sent it in for repair?

10. zarathu macrumors regular

zarathu

I read the thread...

Everyone griping there. Nobody simply taking the mac into the apple store and getting it fixed. Its under warranty. They'll give you a new one or fix it.

11. AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, Apple sent me an email to run some system capture software and emailed them the results. It goes to their engineers and I'll get a call back in a few days. I was told to not let the iMac go to sleep and most likely will have to wait for a fix in 10.7.1 or whatever.

12. AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's not a hardware issue, according to Apple, who I've been in contact with. So what exactly are they going to repair? They reinstalled Lion also.

13. Contiguous macrumors member

Yeah, I skimmed it too. Stuff goes wrong, but if you're not calling tech support, especially when your computer is under warranty, I'm not going to have much sympathy for you.

14. AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have and they basically told me new OS's have bugs and to wait for a fix.

15. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

You have two wise choices:

Return the iMac - get a refund - go back to PC land - bye bye OR

Send your iMac in for repair or replacement

You have at least one dumb choice:

Bitch / whine & troll on Mac Forums

Your call....

16. AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

What part of waiting for a fix did you not understand? Are the Geniuses that magical they can fix an issue that Apple Tech Support told me I had to wait for?

17. HBOC macrumors 68020

me thinks 10.7.1 will be out in the next few weeks.

18. AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hope so, I don't want to use Snow Leopard now that I've used Lion (minus the resuming sleep issues) of course.

19. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

To quote from your earlier thread:

"Apple better come out with a fix before my 14 days or I'm returning this and will think again about paying a premium for a PC with an Apple logo. When I switched to Windows Vista I didn't even have any problems close to this."

What part of bitching and whining on a forum won't help you are you not grasping?

I'm sure Cupertino is trembling over the prospect of you returning your first ever iMac :rolleyes:

20. AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

I can't irrationally vent? And what are you worried about if I return it to never use another Mac? Do you feel persecuted or something?

21. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

I have had the same video freezing problem since I've upgrade to Lion from SL as well.

Was going to do a wait and see before I contacted Apple since it seems to be fairly wide-spread. But today I got a nice graphics bug that happened after I booted up from a hard reset. It went away after *another* reset, but this is getting kind of absurd at this point.

I understand it is the first couple weeks into a new OS. The problem lies in that I am not completely happy with Lion anyway, so the issues are just that much more annoying.

Attached Files:

22. AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just hope they fix it in the next update and soon. I don't really want to have to go back to SL. I'll have to scroll unnaturally.

23. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Can't tell if sarcasm -.-

Seriously though, I have no problems going back to SL, except I don't want to freaking spend the time downgrading.

24. thebeautyisfake macrumors regular

It's never a wise decision to buy a (computer with a ) new OS in the first month or so due to the myriad of problems it'll inevitably have. While I don't know what's causing that in your iMac, it could well be a graphical error.

Just take it back and get a refund.

25. AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

I ordered it right around the switch and I was hoping for it to come with SL since the Lion upgrade would have been free. So either I return it now and wait til the issues are settled or wait without sleep or even buy a copy of SL and install that.