Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbeFroman77

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2010
Doesn't matter, you should not let the hype get to you. Early adopters of tech or software always suffer in the beginning. Microsoft hyped vista to high heaven, but in the beginning it was terrible, after a couple of updates it ran just fine.

Im sorry but I do not feel bad for anyone that goes out and buys the newest tech or program, and then the program or tech has bugs/glitches/problems. Its your responsibility to do the research and not just blindly buy something.

Yeah, I'm pretty dumb to buy an iMac that's been out since May and expect it not to freeze the whole system by watching a podcast video on iTunes. Silly me.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Question

I guess my question is: why do people sleep their damn computers anyway? I am running mine 100% of the time. If I'm not using it I'm running BOINC/Seti @ Home or some other distributed computing project.

AbeFroman77

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2010
I guess my question is: why do people sleep their damn computers anyway? I am running mine 100% of the time. If I'm not using it I'm running BOINC/Seti @ Home or some other distributed computing project.

Pretty silly of Apple to put that sleep function in. We all should be running BOINC/Seti @ Home.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
But thinking back to those "I'm a Mac" commercials making fun of windows when it went through the Vista growing pains has me wincing a little bit considering what I'm going through. I actually am sure Apple will do me right but I'm without my computer right now and terrified that I'm going to have to confront a store manager over scratched casing or dust under the screen like I've seen posted here.

When you look at all the conflicts going on in the world, natural disasters with huge loss of life and consider the posters quote above, it does put all the worlds troubles into perspective and demonstrates how insignificant they are compared to the risk of a scratch and a bit of dust eh? :rolleyes:

csiguy

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2011
Canada
On the flip side, I had nothing but issues with Windows, switched to Apple and bingo all my troubles gone.

On the flip-flip side, I have multiple PCs (XP, Vista, 7) and Mac and Linux (K/Ubuntu), and the only systems with issues are Linux. No troubles at all on the Windows or Mac and I'm an equal-opportunity hater.

:p

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
When you look at all the conflicts going on in the world, natural disasters with huge loss of life and consider the posters quote above, it does put all the worlds troubles into perspective and demonstrates how insignificant they are compared to the risk of a scratch and a bit of dust eh? :rolleyes:

I'm fortunate enough not to live in an area of famine or war, but I did spend nearly $3k on a computer that the manufacture is fixing because of nothing I did certainly. I guess nothing that goes wrong in your life matters because other people are dying, right?

AbeFroman77

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2010

LOL, What the... why even waste your time on this forum?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Im sorry but I do not feel bad for anyone that goes out and buys the newest tech or program, and then the program or tech has bugs/glitches/problems. Its your responsibility to do the research and not just blindly buy something.

I don't think the blame can solely be put on the consumer. Apple released Lion knowing about this video glitch (it was reported during Lion's beta tests) and still released it anyhow before it was fixed, or at the very least, without thoroughly testing it on their hardware first.

I agree the consumer is responsible for doing research, but they are not the only one to blame, especially in this particular case. This video glitch affects all videos (be it Flash, QuickTime, iTunes video) and video-related programming (like iMovie).

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
I'm fortunate enough not to live in an area of famine or war, but I did spend nearly $3k on a computer that the manufacture is fixing because of nothing I did certainly. I guess nothing that goes wrong in your life matters because other people are dying, right?

I consider perspective to be the key. If I wake up each day and I and my loved ones are all fit and healthy then that matters far more than a hiccup with a piece of hardware. There again it all depends what matters in your life?

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.

Because I'm adult enough to realise that this is simply a hardware fault and anything that is mechanical or electrical for that matter can and will go wrong at some point. Having hysterics is somewhat immature and as I have already posted, perspective is key here.

If your wife wrote off your brand new motor would your concern be for the car or your wife? Exactly, a car is simply a machine that can be replaced. I'm sure Apple will do all they can to make sure the customer is happy so whilst it may be an inconvenience it's not the end of life as you know it.

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Then GTFO of this thread. No one here with an issue needs perspective. Coming and trying to provide it just pours salt on the wound. I'm not crying at my desk or telling my coworkers how bad my life sucks because my Mac is in for repair. In the overall scheme of my day I only think about this thread when an email reminder comes up.

I come here and vent on an internet forum because there are like-minded people here. My complaint has nothing to do with world peace nor my maturity. It has to do with a shared experience with the OP. Its OK to blow little things out of proportion in this kind of environment. You think some guy isn't ranting on a Chevy forum somewhere because they are retarding the timing on the new Camaro to reduce emissions [made up]. I don't care, but he does. And he rants on a forum of Camaro enthusiasts, not at work, and probably not on Mac Rumors. Get a clue.

So like I said, GTFO.

AbeFroman77

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2010
Because I'm adult enough to realise that this is simply a hardware fault and anything that is mechanical or electrical for that matter can and will go wrong at some point. Having hysterics is somewhat immature and as I have already posted, perspective is key here.

If your wife wrote off your brand new motor would your concern be for the car or your wife? Exactly, a car is simply a machine that can be replaced. I'm sure Apple will do all they can to make sure the customer is happy so whilst it may be an inconvenience it's not the end of life as you know it.

Wives/Girlfriends can be replaced too.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
By saying third world people have it worse, you're merely stating the obvious. If that's how one rationalizes problems, then comparatively, we don't have any problems and should therefore never complain ever. That's just not reasonable. This is not to take away from the suffering of people starving in third world countries, or people suffering under oppression, religion, dictators, etc. They're [separate] issues worth talking about, but if they're the only ones that have a right to complain (while we don't, apparently), then there's no point in having an opinion about anything that doesn't involve world hunger. This is ludicrous, especially at a message board about Apple. If one wants to say the OP is overreacting, then just say that. Comparing his problem with third world country problems adds nothing to the discussion and is off topic.

gnagy

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2009
Because I'm adult enough to realise that this is simply a hardware fault and anything that is mechanical or electrical for that matter can and will go wrong at some point.

So you are adult enough to realize it's a hardware problem? My iMac has graphical problems using Lion as well, and it does not happen using Snow Leopard. Guess what that proves? I'm adult enough to realize it must be a software problem.

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
I'm thinking this guy is just a troll at this point. Everyone in this thread is offering reasonable advice or sympathy except this guy.

WickedStealthy

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2011

I feel your frustration. I have built many PC's in the past (first was 18y ago) and at work we are running equipment which runs for more then 1mil$. Also that stuff is not without flaws. Bugs which can hardly be reproduced but which appear from time to time.

I think for your problem the simplest solution is asking Apple to send you a copy of SL discs which work !

I have bought a BTO imac 3.4Ghz/2Gb GPU/SSD + 1TB disk/16Gb sodimm. Actually my first Mac ever. And it runs like a charm. Always ran windows 7.
But I have bought just before Lion came out but late enough to get the free copy of Lion. The lion installer is still sitting here and I created a bootable USB of it. But I won't install Lion for another 6 months or maybe more.

I have learned from previous experiences not to install new OSs or patches if there is not reason for it. Read, if it doesn't solve you a problem or help you getting something which you really really need.

So basiclly try to get the SL install CD's which work for your machine from Apple and go back. Wait till a later date when the bugs and glitches are ironed out of the new OS....

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Ok... this thread is more heated than it should be!

My heart goes out to the OP. My first Mac was the Intel Core Duo Mac Mini, and it completely destroyed itself in the space of 24 hours.

I returned it for a full refund and started over. A few weeks later I ordered my replacement Mac Mini and haven't looked back since!

My strong advice is this: If you receive a new product and it's faulty, return it. Don't sit around waiting for a fix. I know it's inconvenient, but send it back. Once you see on the forums that all is well then you can order yourself a new one :)

I've only ever seen that sort of corruption from faulty graphics cards but I'm sure you know more about the issue than I do. Whatever it is, I wouldn't hang on to a product in that condition hoping for a fix...

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
I have the EXACT same problem as the OP. Since it's such a widespread problem, I'm sure its something a future update will fix so I've just shut my iMac down and it's staying shut down until an update is issued. It seems to be 2011 iMacs that have this problem.

AbeFroman77

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2010
I feel your frustration. I have built many PC's in the past (first was 18y ago) and at work we are running equipment which runs for more then 1mil$. Also that stuff is not without flaws. Bugs which can hardly be reproduced but which appear from time to time.

I think for your problem the simplest solution is asking Apple to send you a copy of SL discs which work !

I have bought a BTO imac 3.4Ghz/2Gb GPU/SSD + 1TB disk/16Gb sodimm. Actually my first Mac ever. And it runs like a charm. Always ran windows 7.
But I have bought just before Lion came out but late enough to get the free copy of Lion. The lion installer is still sitting here and I created a bootable USB of it. But I won't install Lion for another 6 months or maybe more.

I have learned from previous experiences not to install new OSs or patches if there is not reason for it. Read, if it doesn't solve you a problem or help you getting something which you really really need.

So basiclly try to get the SL install CD's which work for your machine from Apple and go back. Wait till a later date when the bugs and glitches are ironed out of the new OS....

The retail SL sold in stores is 10.6.3. Apple has 10.6.6., or higher, available on disc?

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
I had the same problem after upgrading to lion, so i tried a clean install and the results were the same.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
If one wants to say the OP is overreacting, then just say that. Comparing his problem with third world country problems adds nothing to the discussion and is off topic.

I thought I already had said that, which just proves the point that humour doesn't carry well across the pond. As for imahawki accusing me of trolling, again you simply don't have a grasp of English humour I suspect. The more one tends to whinge in the UK the more people will tell you to zip it and grow a pair, you certainly won't get sympathy. If the Mac is faulty then take it back and request a replacement. I don't know about U.S. consumer law but in the U.K. the consumer doesn't even have to prove a fault if the product is under six months old, it is classed as inherent and the retailer has to prove otherwise. We can also make a claim up to six years for faulty goods though any refund after twelve months will be on a pro-rata basis.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Well ... that's why I always grateful that I chose my iMac in a quite good time. I still have the good ol' Snow Leopard restore DVD came with my iMac .. but also still eligible for Lion free upgrade.

IT was a turkey shoot for me :p!! Apple's policy to go with Lion as disk-less OS is too risky. At least SL has been mature, and Lion is still a cub. Something could just go wrong, restore partition in HDD can somehow be erased or damaged by user, or even by the system itself.

At least by having the DVD, you have a grip when something go really wrong with the whole OS on the hard drive. Sure, Lion will be sold as thumb drive alternative to make life easier. Not just avoiding download for people with lousy internet connection, but also having a physical media of OS is better.

But you know, Apple sell that kind of Lion for another $70 .. even after you buy a $1000 - $3000 Mac??!! Please, ohh .. don't you see they being stingy not to include the thumb drive in the package?

If Apple want to go completely diskless with Lion, at least they should provide OS on different disk or dedicated NAND/flash. Look at PS3, common user won't be able to touch the OS. It has its own flash for restoring, you can just swap the HDD easily without worrying you'd lose OS completely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.