Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
IMG_0639.JPG
Just got done detailing the ride. After the rain it got very muddy so I was dying to clean it off!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
About the light bars (and other accessories), they are stripped from the departments. The thing is, they are legal to have on your vehicle as long as you do not use them on public roadways and they are not red and/or blue. But what ticks me off about people on my FB group is that the only reason they want that crap is because its a CVPI. They wouldn't put it on something like, say, a civic or something like that.

They usually are beaten up, but I got lucky with mine :D It was a supervisor's car. it only had 57k miles and 1640 idle hours when I got it. I agree that the new Taurus and Explorers are good for the AWD, but I would like to see if they become known for their durability like the CVPI has. I already know the Taurus and Explorer are better than the Dodge Chargers lol.

About the CVPI's gas tank exploding, yeah that was a problem lol. The GM B-bodies had the same problem. Ford did shield the gas tank from the rear axle in later revisions, and even offered a fire suppression system.

Here you go. This is my on duty squad. But I figure it qualifies for the Car thread. Ford Explorer Twin Turbo Interceptor. A little dirty, but that's expected. I still miss the Crown Vic days.

IMG_0943.JPG
IMG_0945.JPG

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Here you go. This is my on duty squad. But I figure it qualifies for the Car thread. Ford Explorer Twin Turbo Interceptor. A little dirty, but that's expected. I still miss the Crown Vic days.

View attachment 684876 View attachment 684877

Ah. Now all you need is a brush guard! Haha. Yeah, my guy got pushed out of his Crown Vic. It was sold at auction and now he's in a Tahoe. He misses his car.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Ah. Now all you need is a brush guard! Haha. Yeah, my guy got pushed out of his Crown Vic. It was sold at auction and now he's in a Tahoe. He misses his car.

When the Explorer arrived from the factory, it didn't have the push guard installed unfortunately. But they serve their purpose for deer accidents (Which Plenty of Officers hit regularly) and for pursuits.

Tahoe's are nice. There are a few of those in our County and for our State Patrol units. They are primarily unmarked.

Reactions: Septembersrain

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Here's a new picture of my car for the new year. Two weeks ago I was driving in the snow and stupidly decided it'd be a great idea to try to fish tail the car, just as I have done successfully so many times in the past. Well, it's all caught up to me now because it fish tailed alright, right into a concrete curb. The wheel was pretty much hanging off of the car afterwards. $4,500 in damage, $1,700 of which was body damage. Who would have thought?

IMG_8745.jpg IMG_2378.jpg

And just so we don't end on a poor note, here's a shot where the car is still in one piece...

IMG_7794.jpg

Hopefully I'll have it back by the end of next week.

Reactions: Apple 26.2

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Here's a new picture of my car for the new year. Two weeks ago I was driving in the snow and stupidly decided it'd be a great idea to try to fish tail the car, just as I have done successfully so many times in the past. Well, it's all caught up to me now because it fish tailed alright, right into a concrete curb. The wheel was pretty much hanging off of the car afterwards. $4,500 in damage, $1,700 of which was body damage. Who would have thought?

View attachment 684969 View attachment 684970

And just so we don't end on a poor note, here's a shot where the car is still in one piece...

View attachment 684971

Hopefully I'll have it back by the end of next week.

Well...at least you had fun! It looks like the tie rid was snapped right off. That's a beautiful car with the pearl based white tone. What size Engine/horsepower? V Series?

Reactions: ideal.dreams

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Well...at least you had fun! It looks like the tie rid was snapped right off. That's a beautiful car with the pearl based white tone. What size Engine/horsepower? V Series?

Yeah, though looking back, I don't quite think that 5 seconds of fun was worth the $4,500 cost :p. I love the white diamond tricoat and that's part of the reason the body work is so costly, because not only is it one of Cadillac's premium paints, but they have to blend the repair so they have to paint a lot of the car now.

The tie rod snapped, the control arm snapped, a linkage broke, and the brake line snapped as well, so there was quite a bit of mechanical damage. The suspension needs work and the strut is being replaced as well.

It's a 3.6L V6 engine with 321 hp, AWD, and 6 speed auto transmission. It's not a V Series unfortunately. Thanks for the comments though!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yeah, though looking back, I don't quite think that 5 seconds of fun was worth the $4,500 cost :p. I love the white diamond tricoat and that's part of the reason the body work is so costly, because not only is it one of Cadillac's premium paints, but they have to blend the repair so they have to paint a lot of the car now.

The tie rod snapped, the control arm snapped, a linkage broke, and the brake line snapped as well, so there was quite a bit of mechanical damage. The suspension needs work and the strut is being replaced as well.

It's a 3.6L V6 engine with 321 hp, AWD, and 6 speed auto transmission. It's not a V Series unfortunately. Thanks for the comments though!

Hopefully you will have it back soon. It's a beautiful car. 321 HP is impressive. I was thinking around 275. Post a picture when you get it back.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Hopefully you will have it back soon. It's a beautiful car. 321 HP is impressive. I was thinking around 275. Post a picture when you get it back.

It definitely moves, the dealer has me in a 2017 XT5 loaner right now and this thing is pathetic compared to the power my ATS has! Between the response and the handling, this is definitely the best car I've ever had. But I'm hoping the same! Just waiting on the parts to come in and then they estimated 2 days for mechanical work and 3 days for body work, so if not by the end of this week, hopefully no later than the middle of next week. I'll be sure to post some after pictures!

arggg14

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
Hatchback EX-L.

It's got a peppy little 1.5L turbo as well. Handles like a dream whether it's in the city or long empty country roads. :)
Any improvement in the CVT over the previous gen? How exactly do the paddles work with a CVT?

Last edited:

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
Any improvement in the CVT over the previous gen? How exactly do the paddles work with a CVT?

It feels pretty responsive from my experience, no rubber-band feel like most CVT's. As for paddle shifters, those are reserved for the Sport model, I don't have them in mine. Honestly I wanted a stick shift but they're so difficult to find....But this particular CVT is plenty robust, feels like it delivers enough low end torque to get you out of jams and puts enough power to the ground to get you around people in traffic with relative ease.

Reactions: arggg14

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I feel like every time I wash my car I need to take a pic as it lasts for about 20 minutes. The joys of a black car. Beautiful when clean...however long that is.

Not the best pics but best I could do at 7 in the morning in a parking garage. A little shout out to MacRumors too. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0793.JPG
    IMG_0793.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0792.JPG
    IMG_0792.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 260

Hawkeye16

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Iowa
I feel like every time I wash my car I need to take a pic as it lasts for about 20 minutes. The joys of a black car. Beautiful when clean...however long that is.

Not the best pics but best I could do at 7 in the morning in a parking garage. A little shout out to MacRumors too. :)

Stop that. You're making me want a Tesla again. If only they would open a service station within 300 miles of me...

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Stop that. You're making me want a Tesla again. If only they would open a service station within 300 miles of me...

You dont need no service station! They have service rangers that will come directly to you as needed free of cost during the initial warranty period.

This car amazes me every day and I am already nearing 10k miles in less than 6 months. I look for excuses to drive and smile as I go past gas stations.

Dont test drive one or you will be buying it, guaranteed :)

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
You dont need no service station! They have service rangers that will come directly to you as needed free of cost during the initial warranty period.

This car amazes me every day and I am already nearing 10k miles in less than 6 months. I look for excuses to drive and smile as I go past gas stations.

Dont test drive one or you will be buying it, guaranteed :)

In all states? They don't even allow direct sales of those cars in Texas. I honestly haven't even seen a Tesla here in San Antonio. Took me a second to recognize what type of car you had. I was like "That is so nice! Um, what is it?". Love black cars though. I'm kind of old fashioned and all the touch screen stuff still seems very distracting to me. I have to be careful with all the big trucks and old tanks zooming around me. Inside of my 13' Yaris:

b7c14a532cd376480f530e9d1715ac63.jpg

Reactions: Apple 26.2

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
In all states? They don't even allow direct sales of those cars in Texas. I honestly haven't even seen a Tesla here in San Antonio. Took me a second to recognize what type of car you had. I was like "That is so nice! Um, what is it?". Love black cars though. I'm kind of old fashioned though and all the touch screen stuff still seems very distracting to me. I have to be careful with all the big trucks and old tanks zooming around me. Inside of my 13' Yaris

Yes,in all states if you are a certain distance from service center they supply the service.

The transaction of buying this vehicle went very smoothly. Almost too easy like a transaction on Amazon. Went to my local mall. Test drove it. Built it with a service advisor custom to our liking. Was delivered directly to our service center within 6 weeks.

The screen is very easy to navigate and with it being so large everything is easily within an arms reach and not distracting at all once you get used to it being there which at first you cant stop looking at it.

Not to mention with how much I drive for work, Autopilot has changed my life in regards to stop and go traffic and long stretches of miles.

Hawkeye16

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Iowa
Yes,in all states if you are a certain distance from service center they supply the service.

The transaction of buying this vehicle went very smoothly. Almost too easy like a transaction on Amazon. Went to my local mall. Test drove it. Built it with a service advisor custom to our liking. Was delivered directly to our service center within 6 weeks.

The screen is very easy to navigate and with it being so large everything is easily within an arms reach and not distracting at all once you get used to it being there which at first you cant stop looking at it.

Not to mention with how much I drive for work, Autopilot has changed my life in regards to stop and go traffic and long stretches of miles.

Interesting, I was not aware of that. When I was about to pull the trigger on one it was a 9 month wait (a while back). I live in Iowa so my traffic (giggle) is... well... I don't see myself needing autopilot unless you can set it for Speed Limit +10 or something like that.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I don't see myself needing autopilot unless you can set it for Speed Limit +10 or something like that.

Yes you can do that as well.

I find it to really excel in stop and go traffic but yes the wide open roads and a high speed are also a very nice feature of when to use auto pilot.

We love this one so much we ordered a Model 3 on day 1 for the wife.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.