Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darragh Ryan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2020
Hi everyone. I was cleaning the inside of my MacBook Pro and slightly bent part of what I think is one of the fans vents or filters?

After turning it back on I was greeted with pink and sometimes green graphics distortion.

When I put hard pressure on the shell it would go away. I then though it would be best to try and bend the area back into place. It helped a bit but after a few minutes the problem returned.

Any ideas on how to fix and what are the components around that area?

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    468.9 KB · Views: 136
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 157
  • C.jpg
    C.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 128

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
So if I understand correctly, the edge of the fan has lifted off the vent or intake and that's what you want to fix?
They usually just have a bit of tape over them in the computers I've fixed so a piece of electrical insulating tape will do it.
You just need to make sure it's sucking air in from the outside.
I doubt very much that it's the cause of your pink graphics unfortunately, unless you think it's stopping it from cooling something properly so it's over-heating?
It's more likely you've got a ribbon cable that's not in properly or something like that. Really impossible to say but it sounds like a bad contact somewhere as you can make it go away by pressing the shell. You might have disturbed something
I'd investigate what's around where you press the shell.
good luck

Darragh Ryan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2020
Hi. Ok so if I press down hard on the area in the picture the pink screen graphic issue would disappear

20200927_125429.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.