Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdawg

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2015
nope.gif

• Love
Reactions: triom and krspkbl

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Best of both worlds to me. Lifetime license if you use it frequently. But if you're like me and don't use it very often, you can subscribe for a month every couple years. And existing customers get lifetime subscription for free.

With discipline, that's a very underrated feature of iOS subscriptions that are so easy to cancel. For example, I subscribe to Prime for one month out of the year (around the holidays to take advantage of the shipping and time off.) Catch up on all the series released through the year. Great value.

MacRumorUser78

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2014
Too bad, but completely understandable. I am an occasional user. I used to use Photoshop Elements and buy it about every three years. Usually at a discount, but without would have been about $35 per year. We can't expect apps to be updated to support all OS and other changes that may come down the pike. Presumably Pixelmator team knew that but gambled to get users.

I bought Pixelmator Pro because it met my needs and could buy, rather than subscribe. But sounds like I'm good for a while. Too bad a middle ground doesn't exist for developers. Support the power users, support occasional users, allow different upgrade paths. Don't follow this enough to understand why Apple can't be more flexible.

blazerunner

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
I know, right. Bunch of jerks...wanting to eat and provide for their families and stuff. The temerity, the audacity of them to seek a sustainable model for their business and to keep the lights on for their employees. In a time of significant inflation and a high cost of living these guys should be living on less so that I can continue to have a cheap app for my photos.
Do you make the same excuse for companies worth three trillion dollars?

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I totally understand and agree, developers have to eat. BUT... they also have to develop.

What I mean by that is that, in exchange for a subscription, I expect very regular (monthly) updates and premium support (personalized answers within 24 hours).
Next, quite some monthly subscriptions have the same cost as the lifetime app itself used to cost before, in which case I expect an important chunk of new functions and improvements on a yearly basis.

So, hoping that my above expectations sound reasonable, I invite anyone to name a developer that indeed delivers. I have yet to meet one, hence I deleted all of my subscriptions.
And the developers that don't live up to this - I fear I call them, indeed, just greedy.

I don't subscribe to a huge list of app, but the ones I do see regular updates and added features. Drafts and Flexibits especially are good about that. 1Password as well.

Last edited:

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I want a a calculator app for my iPad (wtf Apple?) and one of the best seems to require either putting up with a lot of ads or subscribing.

SUBSCRIBING TO A CALCULATOR!?

Insanity!
Buy this and stop complaining that things aren’t free in life.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Do you make the same excuse for companies worth three trillion dollars?

Value of the company really doesn't matter to me. The people in charge, whether it is a company with 5 employees or one with 5,000, has to do what they feel is best for their org and the need to help it grow and prosper. We can backseat drive our opinions on whether or not that's good, but we're never going to have the full picture that goes into the decision making process for these executives.

Reactions: hans1972

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Well, as a casual user it's good bye Pixelmator. Can anyone recommend a pay once alternative for Mac desktop for when they stop updating the non subscription thing?
You have it already, so nothing changes for you. Just continue to use it.

Reactions: rettro

Mr Todhunter

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Third planet from the Sun
I did use the regular Pixelmator before I bought Affinity Photo. It's a nice simple app to use; but Affinity is also straight forward and great overall. AP is the real deal and is way way underpriced, it would not be unreasonable if it was 5x more expensive.

Never tried the Pro version.
Extremely good PR for Pixelmator, but Affinity Photo which is seldom mentioned is far superior (except when it comes to PR)

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I kinda hate subscriptions, but I understand it. I'd prefer at least having a middle of the road, large upfront price, and smaller upgrade pricing. That way, if you like the current version, you don't have to keep paying for it. One and done payment. If they provide an upgrade with great new features, you can pay a smaller upgrade price and Pixelmator gets the money to keep the lights on and keep creating/updating features. Win-win.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
What are the big differences between pixelmator photo, and pixelmator pro? I'm not sure why I would want Pixelmator Photo on Mac if I already have Pixelmator Pro.
Pixelmator Pro on macOS is more like a photoshop tool. The regular "Pixelmator" app on iOS is like a very very light version of this.

Pixelmator Photo is more of a advance photo editor. Like the editing option within Apple's Photo app taken to the next level, but not intended for multiple layers, text, 3D manipulations, etc. like Pixelmator Pro.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I get why they switch to a subscription, but why does every app has to raise prices that much? From a $7,99 one-time purchase to $23,99/yr? Why not $9,99/yr?
And what was the business model before the switch to subscription? It was a one-time purchase for $7,99 and now it’s $59,99. No wonder people hate subscriptions.

This. I understand sustainable recurring revenue, but it doesn't also have to come with a price hike.

They make the point in their blog post that being subscription means less users so those users have to pay more. They say right up front that it's more expensive but I don't quite follow their reasoning as to why.

Reactions: m.x

diskrisk

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2021
I can’t imagine anyone who is calling them “greedy” for trying to maintain a sustainable business as anything other than selfish *******s whose business experience starts and ends at selling cupcakes at a school fundraiser. Don’t get me wrong, I left Photoshop for Pixelmator Pro and Affinity Photo because I also want to pay upfront, but they’ve done an excellent job defending their decision and have added a Lifetime option for those of us, while also letting existing paid users keep using the app for free. If Adobe had done that, I’d still be using Creative Cloud. The only thing I’d do differently would be to take a page from Notability’s approach: subscribe for a year, get all the updates, after the year you can keep using the app without updates and if you want a new feature you can subscribe for another year.
I fully support Pixelmator on this and hope their business does better.

I’ll be waiting for your dumb “drinking the koolaid” responses, because apparently that’s become synonymous with “I disagree“ nowadays.

Last edited:

Okasian

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2017
Another subscription app to torrent, pirate and steal, out of principle, when the old app I paid for inevitably stops working due to neglect. (NOT ASKING FOR MORE FEATURES, JUST AN XCODE RECOMPILATION, SO EXPENSIVE TO DO THAT + TWEAK SOME DEPRECIATED METHODS + SMALL UI CHANGES WOOOW I KNOW /s)

Not all casual users of a product use it enough to merit a subscription. Some just want a nice interface.

OH WELL. CONSIENCE CLEAN.

I’ve spent lots on Affinity Photo, Designer and their hardback books, and they still somehow manage to keep spitting out updates and new features. Big respect for Serif.

VuvuzelaiPhone

Suspended
Aug 15, 2022
If you love capitalism, which I assume many here do, I am not quite sure what the issue is here. If you step outside of the reflexive desire to not have more subscriptions to understand the realities of a software company today, it isn't at all a surprise that the push toward subscriptions was inevitable (this applies to hardware nowadays as well).

I would go further to say it is also desirable in some ways (not on individual budgets of course).

This isn't to say you have to like it or participate in it, but it will become increasing more difficult to participate in society or have enjoyment if this trend continues. Rather than trash these companies for doing what is necessary; perhaps take a moment to analyze why this occurring, what it will lead to, and how we might adjust our systems.

Okasian

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2017
Oh wait, it’s a one-time purchase? I take that back.

Thought it was going the way of Fantastical, Paw, Git Tower and other subscription-based apps that have had no radical updates since going that way.

Haribokart

Suspended
Sep 4, 2010
UK
I ****ing LOVE Pixelmator and have been purchasing their products - even when they made us repurchase the Mac app as Pro for 'reasons' if we wanted updates - as long as they have been available but if it gets to the stage a subscription or this drastically overpriced one time purchase is required for the main apps I will move on from them.

Sad it has come to this.

Reactions: mcdawg

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
Well, as a casual user it's good bye Pixelmator. Can anyone recommend a pay once alternative for Mac desktop for when they stop updating the non subscription thing?
Pixelmator. They offer a non-subscription purchase too.

Reactions: RimasM

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
They're probably going to handle it like Darkroom where you have to pay the $74.99 lifetime unlock for the just recently added masking features. Which is OK considering some of us are using Affinity Photo next to it anyway.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Among other reasons, Pixelmator also noted that the App Store does not allow paid apps to offer free trials or upgrade discounts for major new versions.
Upgrade discounts, to me, always seem like, “You saw value in our stuff previously, but we’re SURE that you no longer see value in it now. Tell you what, because we realize you don’t value our hard work, here’s a price cut. We hope NEW users will pay the full price, though.”

Reactions: ackmondual

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
If you have a pro workflow it would probably need cloud storage anyways so a plan makes sense, and that cost is part of your business expenses.
The “humans doing the development” are part of the business expenses, too. Development never ends, bug fixes, new features, new OS alignment… subscriptions are developers realizing that. And, as we’ve seen from Patreon and other such services, there are millions upon millions of folks that are willing to provide a living wage to people and companies that make the products they like.

Are there folks that DON’T like subscriptions? ABSOLUTELY! The job for the developer is to switch their user base from “those that don’t want to support us over the long term” to “those that do want to support us over the long term”.

Reactions: ackmondual

0lf

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2016
From their blog post :
1660842857404.png

Smell BS, as their cost increase after release.
Looks like they mix a cumulative cost curve with a non cumulative revenue curve.

Reactions: mcdawg
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.