Plan for securing an iPhone 6 on launch day?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vaultwit, Jun 25, 2014.

1. vaultwit macrumors regular

I know it's still early, but I was wondering if folks had thought of plans for best securing an iPhone 6 on launch day? Couldn't find an existing thread on this, please let me know if there is...

I remember getting the iPhone 5 two years ago was a pain. I opted to preordering from AT&T and there was a lot of confusion with when the ship date was and such, and I ended up recieving the phone several days after launch. That year, it turned out that many people had better lunch preordering from stores such as Target, Best Buy, and Radio Shack. Those folks, if I remember correctly, got theirs on lauch day or the day after.

So for the iPhone 5s, my friend decided to preorder from Target. Guess what? They never even recieved shipments of the phones until weeks after launch day. Not sure how preorders from other stores turned out.

I've also heard some people having luck just lining up at Apple stores and recieving the cards for which phones are in stock. But this just seems like a pain because you need to get there early, and they may not even have the phone configuration you want.

So, what are the plans as of now for the best way to get the new iPhone on launch day? Preferably via preordering.

2. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I'll probably wait until after launch day and get one when it's in stock. I'm kind of curious to hear what people think about the different sizes before I buy one.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I usually just order from Apple
    But then again, I'm not obsessed with having it minutes before everyone else :)

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The simplest and easiest approach is just to pre-order on apple.com, or there isn't a pre-order option then order it on apple.com.

Why get all complicated, just order and wait.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Probably a good plan, especially with the possibility of 2 sizes
    Everyone will have a view on which is best
    And will compare the screens, quality of build, etc ad infinitum

Getting to see one in person at the store before buying would be a plus

6. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

There's a certain excitement in lining up to buy a new phone at the store; I've done it twice (iPhone 3G and 3GS) but then started switching back and forth between iPhone and Android devices and haven't bought another phone on launch day.

I debated potentially lining up for the 6 at my local AT&T store, but like I said I'm torn about which size I'm going to get based on whether the features are different, so I am likely to end up waiting. If I have a clear idea of which phone I'll want beforehand, I may line up again just for the hell of it. My wife wants the 5.5" so maybe we'll both line up this year.

7. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

I need to do the Next plan so hopefully I can preorder and pick up at an AT&T store.

8. Kryckter macrumors 6502

Kryckter

Ill be ordering from Apple as always. Easy, painless. I wouldn't order from the carrier websites or stores, they never seem to get it right or get enough stock. Just use Apple and make it easy.

9. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

I normally make sure I'm awake in front of my computer around 2:45 ET. This year I plan on placing my order at 3:00 on the dot. LOLOLllllll.

iphone/ipad ordering is an event.. you need to prep for it. LULZ.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

To me, its a phone, something to make calls, run some apps text people, nothing more. I don't get caught up in the hype of waiting in line. So much so, that if my pre-order/order does not ship on launch day, I'll not lose any sleep over it.

11. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

I hate being around people. Especially if they're big and smelly.

12. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

I'll wait until I can test one out in an Apple/AT&T store, then make a decision. Never really understood blindly buying a phone just to say I got it on the first day.

13. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

When they're in stock, I'll get one. No way am I queueing outside a store for hours on end, with the possibility of them running out before I even get through the door. Hopefully I won't have to wait until weeks after launch, like I did with the iPhone 4 but if I do, I do.

14. Kryckter macrumors 6502

Kryckter

You do need to prep. I set my alarm and use the Apple store app on the phone, it normally works really good.

I know its just a phone, but then again its also just 5 minutes of sleep! :D

15. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Well, like I said I'm probably going to wait to see how the different sizes shake out in people's opinions, but sometimes it can be fun to get caught up in the hype as long as you have the right expectations. The year the 3G came out and I waited in line for it I met some very cool people and we all had a nice morning chatting and drinking coffee from the Starbucks there together. The next year I hung out with my wife in the line and we did much the same thing; it was just a nice relaxing time and an excuse to take a day off from work.

16. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Although I've waited in line twice on Launch Day, I might pre-order this time. Reason: color selection. Last year I waited in line and I think I was maybe between 50-60th in line. Only Space Grey was available.

I would like a choice in color and size.

Now as to 4.7 or 5.5? On the fence still. My 46 year old eyeballs want the 5.5, but my jeans pocket say 4.7.

17. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Either pre-order (if they allow us to), or order on launch day at 8am. Done that for the iPhone 4 and 5 and haven't had any issues.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I always order from Apple and get it the day of introduction. Not into standing in line for hours but it is your choice.

19. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Agree 100%! People who get caught up in this having to have everything on launch day are usually people who (A) Are very superficial & materialistic or (B) often don't have much else going on for themselves in life so having the latest/greatest is just a way feel better about their lives.

20. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Those are some pretty ugly, stereotypical generalizations.

21. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Just observations. Standing in line for something just to have it on day 1 is something I did in high school or college. As an adult I can't think there is anything that would be a bigger waste of my time. Let alone waste my vacation time to take off for such a materialistic reason.

22. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I will probably order it directly from Apple this year since I plan on purchasing the phone unlocked. In prior years, I just ordered directly from AT&T via their website. Although I usually waited until the madness died down before I placed my order. I was not concerned with receiving the phone the day it was released.

23. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

is the same every year, is no different than whatever u did to get ur last iphone

24. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I'm wondering how Apple will do this with ATT Next plans and such.

25. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

There won't be a preorder. Get in line, and early at that.

----------

Actually it's not. You couldn't pre order the iPhone 5s and 5c like you could the 5.