Playing Videos in Tiger

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Kirk Boragine, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Kirk Boragine macrumors member

Kirk Boragine

Okay I'm confused. Come to a dead end. I've read the posts here and done everything except install Flash 10.2 hack and tried Mactube. The author isn't providing downloads because they say it doesn't work anymore.

I've uninstalled the old Flash Player and installed 10.1 -I've installed Perian and adv1Decoder. I've tried right clicking and playing a vid in Quicktime. Right clicking gives me no option other than copy URL, which doesn't work. I've tried this in both TenFourFox and Safari.

From what I understand I should be able at this point to play Flash vids weakly or HTML5 vids. I'm getting nothing. I guess I'm missing something obvious. If anybody needs additional information on what I've done. I will explain in detail. What am I missing?

Edited for sp.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The latest versions of T4Fx have Flash disabled by default. So, in regards to that browser nothing you do will get anything Flash to run in the browser.

That said, if you WANT Flash you need to install the actual hack version that reports the higher version number (alhough it isn't). The last working version of Flash (which this hack actually is) for PowerPC won't work. It's too old and the internet has long passed it by. And you'll need to use a browser that still supports Flash, such as Safari.

So, for anything Flash based we have to fake it. And that means the Flash hack that fakes the higher version number.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2017 ---
    Oh. Perian by the way, is just an assist for different video types to Quicktime. It's got nothing to do with Flash and won't help there.

3. Kirk Boragine thread starter macrumors member

Kirk Boragine

I don't really want Flash if I can get Quicktime Enabler to work in 10.4fx. Using HTML5 would suit me just fine. What do you use?

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I usually just use Safari for Youtube.

If there is something in T4Fx I decide I want to see I usually just copy and paste the link in to Safari. That's pretty much the only reason I use Safari (or Webkit). Additionally, I tend to have uMatrix blocking anything from YT anyway. The performance hit is just hard in T4Fx.

@Dronecatcher would probably be a better help in this instance. I don't do a lot of online video watching. Most of my stuff is downloaded and then viewed right off my hard drive.

I will also admit, that this is one of those few times where if I do plan to watch more than one video on YouTube I'll pull out my MBP and use Chrome. That was before I got my G5s though. They seem to have plenty of power to stream 720p direct from YouTube.

Lately, I've been using Demeter for it though as Demeter is the fastest Webkit browser on the planet (for PowerPC) even though it's old.

I'm not sure how the popout thing is supposed to work with T4Fx. I did have it installed once but the frequency of which it tended to not serve up the video to QT annoyed me so I went back to the process I describe above.

5. Kirk Boragine thread starter macrumors member

Kirk Boragine

Okay, as far as the Quicktime Enabler goes I hadn't realized it was an addon. I installed every other component and app in the 10.4fx faq except the download at the end of the page. doh! But...still doesn't work. Gives a failed to get info msg. I just want to be able to watch the occasional news video or youtube vid. I'll keep working on it.

Thanks for the tip on Demeter. Are you watching HTML5 versions or Flash or whatever the site serves up? I think this is the direction I'll head next if I can't get it working and keep T4Fx for everything else.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I believe I have the settings for HTML5 when using YT but I'd have to doublecheck.

7. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Your main restriction for online video will be the relatively lower power of the 600Mhz G3, however it can be done:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/youtube-on-a-g3.2022464/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/youtube-options-in-2016.1986056/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mactubes-in-2017-or-alternatives.2029860/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/new-youtube-player-downloader-even-for-g3.2031523/

I find TFF, even with tweaks and NoScript killing most javascript, a real struggle navigating Youtube on anything less than a dual G5.

8. Kirk Boragine thread starter macrumors member

Kirk Boragine

Wow. I can see from looking at those threads you and other forum members put quite some time and effort into getting YouTube vids to play. I spent way too many hours yesterday trying with some limited success. Not sure if it's all worth it on this little iBook for me. My desk at the moment includes another laptop that plays YouTube and Netflix without a hitch.

I've been pleasantly surprised at how functional web browsing, iTunes, mail and Garageband is working out for me on this machine. I never dreamed a 15 year old computer could ever be possible as my daily driver. Having a capable external Firewire HD to store music, photos and Garageband projects has been helpful.

After reading the posts and acknowledging the lack of CPU architecture and power I'm not convinced I want to go down this road anymore. A challenging exercise it seems more to me. I've already un-installed all traces of Flash. HTML5 seems like the way to go. Steve Jobs said as much. I do very much appreciate the links and all the work you've done! Maybe I'll use it if/when I upgrade to ≥ G5.

Attached Files:

9. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Fair point, getting the most out of PowerPC is a task in itself - if you just want to just get on and do what you need to do, you're better off using more modern tools.
    Having said that, even oldest PPCs running OSX are great for music production.

Personally, I get a greater kick out of making these older machines workable now than I ever did using brand new Macs years ago.

10. Kirk Boragine thread starter macrumors member

Kirk Boragine

Same here. By "this road" I meant the YouTube access.. I'm using it for everything else :)

I do have a couple more issues in which I'll be making new threads. Overall though I am content using the iBook over anything else right now.