Please help I am gonna cry =(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macprouser=), Nov 27, 2010.

1. macprouser=) macrumors newbie

I spilled a drop (seriously) of water on my new 13inch mac pro that I bought like 1 month ago.
    The power went off and the computer is completely dead.

I paid 300+ for the applecare and they say it's not covered and they want me to pay 750+ (plus tax) to fix it.

What should I do? I am seriously gonna cry.

Should I pay 750+ for the repair or should I rather sell and buy a new one? But i already paid 300+ for the apple care and it's a brand new computer and I seriously don't think it's going to do much if i sell and buy a new one.

But, does it really cost that much to repair?

2. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Did you take the laptop to an Applestore?

I would wait a couple of hours and let the laptop dry before turning it on again...
    Of course Applecare doesn't cover hardware failures that were caused by the user...

3. wpotere Guest

Yes, it does cost that much and by the sounds of it I highly doubt it was a small drop. Applecare is a warranty designed to extend the manufacturers warranty, not repair a user damaged item. If you have it repaired I believe that your Applecare will conntinue coverage of the new board, but you will need to pay the 750 to fix it.

4. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Buy a new one, and sell the old one as not working on ebay. Will cost you less than 750.

5. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Yours is a classic case as to why one should only buy AppleCare a year after getting any Apple product - just prior to the original warranty expiration.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yep. My mom was convincing me to just buy the warranty now so I don't forget later, but I don't want to void my warranty and have my money go to waste. In fact, I dropped it - so I'm not sure if its void anyways lol
    Going to the Apple Store now though to check it out.

Sorry to hear what happened to your mac though. In all honesty, was it a drop?

[​IMG]

And where did the water spill?

Try to let it dry. If I were you, I'd try opening it up using ifixit.com to see for visible damage.

7. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

you fried your computer, a drop is a lot of space on a circuit board that has thousands of things on it, just think about it...
    All your warranties are voided I think, but maybe if you fix it with apple they will make it work again? not sure...

Fix it, or sell it and get a mac mini where you can spill as much water as you want and you just replace a 70$ keyboard

8. spmiz12 macrumors regular

Just wondering what you mean by the above. What difference does it make buying AppleCare from the start, verse buying it at the end of the first year?? That doesn't effect the first year warranty in any way does it??

In my experience with the two Apple stores close to me, they are quicker to just replace products or more cooperative if your a AppleCare member..

9. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

what that means is when you drop, spill, abuse, void... why shell out an extra couple hundred bucks to void a 3 year warranty when you can just void the 1 year warranty at no extra AppleCare cost.
    :cool:

10. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

The difference is wasting $250 should you spill something on your macbook prior to the original and "free" one year warranty expires. (As is the case with the OP in this thread) or even worse, your macbook is lost or stolen.

Apple is kind of unique in the fact you can buy an extra 2 years of coverage after using their products for up to a year first.

Edit: AppleOC beat me to it. :)

11. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

This

better explains the logic

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I'm sorry to hear you've tried to give your Mac a drink!!

Instead of making the payment, can't you make a claim for it's damage on the house content insurance? Most comprehensive policies cover accidental damage too!!

13. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

When will people learn not to drink over there laptops? It makes no since at all how many people do it and then cry when liquid falls in it.

14. mikeslows macrumors newbie

Call Applecare at 1-800-APL-CARE. You can request a pro-rated refund. Your money is not wasted. I disagree with the advice of not buying the applecare until later, there is no reason not to get it at purchase. You can, at any point, request a pro-rated refund directly from Applecare....:D

15. spmiz12 macrumors regular

I totally understand that ideology however, you could have AppleCare on the 366th day of owning the unit and the same thing could happen then also, you still be out the money... Make no sense that it should matter less the first year, you still end up with a pile of trash...

Best thing is be careful with unit and keep fluids away!!!!!!

16. deeesea macrumors 6502

just keep your drinks an arm reach away.

17. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I say, if you can't afford to replace your Mac, then make it a habit not to consume food and drink around your pride and joy.

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

19. deeesea macrumors 6502

your laptop is your pride and joy? :confused:

lololololololol. okay. Cool.

20. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

did you pay for the computer with a credit card? SOME credit cards cover this sort of thing. It's worth a try

21. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Thank you. OPs money is not wasted. Apple can't charge for services they refuse to provide before the contract's even started. He can get all his money back.

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ AC doesn't cover accidental damage. You do realize they're not in breach of contract, right?

23. deeesea macrumors 6502

Jessica is right, AC is in no way breaching their contract. OP is OOL,

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you bought it with a credit card, check with your credit card company about their accidental protection policies.

If you didn't buy it with plastic, then check with homeowner's insurance?

Nonetheless, I'm sorry to hear this and I hope it gets resolved without pain and suffering. Next time buy a keyboard skin; it helps a lot.

25. mikeslows macrumors newbie

It has nothing to do with the OP's situation. Any Applecare customer, at anytime during the Applecare period, for any reason, can request a pro-rated refund for the remaining time.

From the Applecare terms and conditions :
    5. Cancellation
    You may cancel this Plan at any time for any reason. If you decide to cancel either call Apple at the telephone number below, or send or fax written notice with your Plan Agreement Number to AppleCare Administration, P.O. Box 149125, Austin, TX 78714-9125, U.S. (fax number 512- 6748125). A copy of the Planʼs original proof of purchase must accompany your notice. Unless local law provides otherwise, if you cancel within thirty (30) days of your Planʼs purchase, or receipt of these Terms and Conditions, whichever occurs later, you will receive a full refund less the value of any service provided under the Plan. If you cancel more than thirty (30) days after your receipt of this Plan, you will receive a pro rata refund of the original purchase price, based on the percentage of unexpired Coverage Period, less (a) a cancellation fee of twenty-five ($25 USD) dollars or ten
    percent (10%) of the pro-rata amount, whichever is less, and (b) the value of any service provided to you under the Plan. Unless applicable local law provides otherwise, Apple may cancel this Plan if service parts for the Covered Equipment become unavailable, upon thirty (30) daysʼ prior written notice. If Apple cancels this Plan, you will receive a pro-rata refund for the Planʼs unexpired term.

OP - just call Applecare and get your pro-rated refund. YOU ARE NOT OUT ANY MONEY for the applecare.