Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EricTheHalfBee

Suspended
Mar 10, 2013
You're getting real actual first-hand reports from other forum members saying they're involved in, and seeing, a lot of socializing, but USA Today (who surely has absolutely no interest in sensationalizing a story to sell their papers or website) is telling you of some incidents of people getting it wrong. Why do you so strongly believe the latter over the former? Are you so certain that everyone who reports socializing is clearly an isolated freak incident and the news site has The Real Truth?

Socializing working great for me as well. I've been taking my kids outside our neighborhood and to local parks and have met several parents of similarly aged kids I never met previously who are also in my neighborhood. My youngest daughter has already gotten a playdate set up with someone new (and they won't be playing Pokemon either).

Then there's the fact you need to actually do some exercise (even if it's just walking) in order to progress through the game. The way my kids (and others we've met) do this is by making laps around a park. They walk from Pokestop to Pokestop and before they know it they've walked a couple miles.

This also means you can't play this game indoors (except maybe for some minor housecleaning after you've been out collecting stuff). So much better than sitting around spending countless hours in front of a TV/PC playing games and chatting with people over Skype that you'll never meet in person.

Hilarious that something popular and well done has to be nitpicked apart by people full of piss & vinegar.

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
Socializing working great for me as well. I've been taking my kids outside our neighborhood and to local parks and have met several parents of similarly aged kids I never met previously who are also in my neighborhood. My youngest daughter has already gotten a playdate set up with someone new (and they won't be playing Pokemon either).

Then there's the fact you need to actually do some exercise (even if it's just walking) in order to progress through the game. The way my kids (and others we've met) do this is by making laps around a park. They walk from Pokestop to Pokestop and before they know it they've walked a couple miles.

This also means you can't play this game indoors (except maybe for some minor housecleaning after you've been out collecting stuff). So much better than sitting around spending countless hours in front of a TV/PC playing games and chatting with people over Skype that you'll never meet in person.

Hilarious that something popular and well done has to be nitpicked apart by people full of piss & vinegar.

Nice post.

And another reason why I think Apple are pissed.

Here is a game that is getting millions of people off their butts for free, or a few dollars at most. It's what they were trying to do with the Apple Watch, at $350 a pop, and failing. Nintendo have just handed Apple a lesson in how to get people moving.

Reactions: AleXXXa

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I just don't like the people trying to rationalize their playing of the game to me when it is all B.S.
To YOU it "is all B.S." To a lot of other people, it's fun. Why is it so hard to let other people have fun? If you just want to make sure we know that you don't enjoy the game, mission accomplished, we get that.
I know a guy that will benefit from this game....the socially akward loner that is incapable of making friends. It will be amazing for him. That is great.
Just keep thinking that. Everyone who gets any benefit from this game is "socially akward loner that is incapable of making friends". It is, after all, much easier to write off a group of people as a whole when you can paint them all with such a broad brush. If what you really mean is, amongst the millions of players, it might help a few socially awkward loners, then why not just say that? And, further, is that such a bad thing? And if you mean, rather, that a small number of players are socially awkward, rather than meaning everyone who plays, why bring it up? A percentage of the entire society is socially awkward, what of it?
It's the fully functional adult idiots that I have the issues with. The ones playing at funerals and the like. The 30 year old trespassers. They guy playing while driving. The idiots that take it to the extreme.
Yes, some people will take this to an extreme. This is news to you? The same happens with everything in life. Why single out Pokémon Go players in particular? It's not like sports fans have ever gotten ragingly drunk, beaten and murdered each other and innocent bystanders, set things on fire, overturned police cars, ripped up stadiums, and trampled over and destroyed public and private property, causing millions of dollars in damage. Can you direct us to all the forum postings where you've complained continuously about the horrible conduct of (clearly all) sports fans?

As a side note, you must be great fun at parties, interrupting every conversation about something you don't personally enjoy to in order to complain about it.

Last edited:

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
Yes, socializing. I've had some pleasant conversations with people I'd never met before, sitting in a nearby park where somebody had put up some lures. And this pattern has repeated a number of times for me personally and I've heard many similar stories from others. Playing Ingress, which is Niantic's predecessor to Pokémon Go (in some ways, PoGo is a mere re-skin of Ingress), I met a whole bunch of people, some of whom are now very close friends. Socializing doesn't have to only involve bars, sporting events, or alcohol, you know. ;)

(Actually, given that Ingress is a fairly competitive, strategic, and very physical game, one school of thought holds that it is a new kind of sport for nerds.)

Despite the crazy success, this game, PoGo is still in its very early stages - judging by what Niantic has done with Ingress over time, PoGo will get more involving, more team-based, and likely will require players to work together to accomplish larger goals (leading to periodic massive organized events - Ingress already has these). In Ingress this has led to large social communities growing organically all over the world.
I was wondering what happens after a given amount of time when people tire of the game. You've wandered around your town until you know ever rock and tree and get bored of it. Or over time you would expect more and more players to get more and more experience, and catch bigger and badder Pokemon, and all the gyms will be held by this ultra-powerful creatures...wouldn't that be a psychological barrier to entry?

I was talking with my daughter about this the other day, and she tells me that in the DS version there's one-on-one battles and trading, and that perhaps those will be added to make the game less susceptible to that kind of gridlock. But I do hope that one-on-one combat doesn't come to it. Just feels wrong, fighting people in the street, if even virtually. Potential for road rage? Or, Poke rage?

I hope they add cooperative features like you're describing. In any case I expect they have plans for this.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
combine pokemon go and alcohol and NOW you have a party

My friends and I do bar crawls catching pokemon. I have tried so many new bars allover the city.

The haters really don't understand the game. People come together allover NYC to play in groups at places like Central Park. People chit chat and get to meet new people. It's a cool way to meet people because you have this activity in common and you can talk while playing and learn more about people.

There's a lot of terrible things happening in the world and it's refreshing to see strangers getting together and having a good time.

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
To YOU it "is all B.S." To a lot of over people, it's fun. Why is it so hard to let other people have fun? If you just want to make sure we know that you don't enjoy the game, mission accomplished, we get that.

Just keep thinking that. Everyone who gets any benefit from this game is "socially akward loner that is incapable of making friends". It is, after all, much easier to write off a group of people as a whole when you can paint them all with such a broad brush. If what you really mean is, amongst the millions of players, it might help a few socially awkward loners, then why not just say that? And, further, is that such a bad thing? And if you mean, rather, that a small number of players are socially awkward, rather than meaning everyone who plays, why bring it up? A percentage of the entire society is socially awkward, what of it?

Yes, some people will take this to an extreme. This is news to you? The same happens with everything in life. Why single out Pokémon Go players in particular? It's not like sports fans have ever gotten ragingly drunk, beaten and murdered each other and innocent bystanders, set things on fire, overturned police cars, ripped up stadiums, and trampled over and destroyed public and private property, causing millions of dollars in damage. Can you direct us to all the forum postings where you've complained continuously about the horrible conduct of (clearly all) sports fans?

As a side note, you must be great fun at parties, interrupting every conversation about something you don't personally enjoy to in order to complain about it.
Now who is getting mad. You are so MAD! And you are soooooo mad over my opinion of a game and its players. You have to take a sentence and twist it to fit your agenda. What does that say? It is quite humorous.

At parties you must be the know-it-all friend people hate to bring around because he will constantly tell everyone they are wrong.

Just relax. It's just a game. :cool:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
OMG have I actually liked a fan boy, Apple apologist, crazy Apple rationalization comment?????? :eek:

Please don't tell me you found one?!?!?!?!? :( That must have been a dark day. I hate watch bands!!!!! :D

Relax mate. I see you don't like it when someone accuses you, I suggest you don't do the same to others ;)

It's actually a fun game, and you have the option to play it

Last edited:
Reactions: CarlJ

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
combine pokemon go and alcohol and NOW you have a party
Well, it does generally involve a bunch of walking. If you can walk convincingly while swiffed and still play the little coordination testing mini-game on your phone, maybe it'd work.

I've known of many instances of Ingress* players gathering at alcohol-serving restaurants with adjacent Ingress Portals to have dinner, drink a bunch, and farm gear (the Ingress equivalent of collecting loot from PokéStops). I've also heard of a few cases of groups of players hiring alcohol-serving limos to drive them around to a series of Ingress Portals to farm gear and link and field the portals. By all accounts, they had a great time doing so.

*: (Ingress, Niantic's other game, based on most of the same technology as Pokémon Go. All PokéStops and Gyms are Ingress portals. The reverse is not true.)
[doublepost=1469221954][/doublepost]
Now who is getting mad. You are so MAD! And you are soooooo mad over my opinion of a game and its players. You have to take a sentence and twist it to fit your agenda. What does that say? It is quite humorous.
I'm not mad. I'm a little exasperated. I don't believe I twisted any of your words. I did pull apart one sentence and offer several possible interpretations of what you might mean and what that would entail. You've not explained how my interpretations are incorrect. You have come to a comment thread about the noteworthiness of a popular game and keep repeating that you don't like it and implying that anyone who does is foolish in one way or another. That's kind of annoying.

Last edited:

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA

At parties you must be the know-it-all friend people hate to bring around because he will constantly tell everyone they are wrong.

Just relax. It's just a game. :cool:

The real question is, what makes you think you should offer you opinion of others at all? At best, you're a rude, petty person. If you don't want to play, then don't play. However, don't stand there and lecture those who DO play as if you're somehow in a position to assert your superiority. You're nothing special.

As for parties, you and your little cohort who seem to get off on standing around talking about how much you disapprove of others are the kinds of people who, frankly, don't get invited to quality parties anyway. Get a life, instead of tending to everyone else's and telling them what you think they should choose to do with their time and energy.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
So, for those of you who played the original Red/Blue games on the Gameboy — which Pokémon did you choose as your starter? Would you mix it up, or always go for the same one?
Oh my goodness I can't remember. I remember liking Charmander a lot but I think I went with Bulbasaur. I was almost done catching them all when I screwed up the game and lost all my Pokemon using a cheat the wrong way to clone an Eeevee. I've never finished a Pokemom game since.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Oh my goodness I can't remember. I remember liking Charmander a lot but I think I went with Bulbasaur. I was almost done catching them all when I screwed up the game and lost all my Pokemon using a cheat the wrong way to clone an Eeevee. I've never finished a Pokemom game since.

So you were the one who kept using Bulbasaur! I knew I'd find you eventually. ;)

Reactions: chrisbru

EricTheHalfBee

Suspended
Mar 10, 2013
Nice post.

And another reason why I think Apple are pissed.

Here is a game that is getting millions of people off their butts for free, or a few dollars at most. It's what they were trying to do with the Apple Watch, at $350 a pop, and failing. Nintendo have just handed Apple a lesson in how to get people moving.

Wow, you actually think Apple is pissed off at a successful App? Apple LOVES to promote success stories in The App Store. Especially since they use it as a major selling point for the iOS platform. Add in the billions Apple will make from their cut, and I just don't see how Apple could be angry at Nintendo, Niantic or Google.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
I cannot comment on the game, never played. However, way too many players are really annoying. Especially in neighborhoods where they walk all over properties, stroll in packs, and are a bit rude if anyone says anything. Like most things, can easily turn sour by a few bad apples.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Textime

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2016
Can someone explain me please why the hell Google and Apple still don't highlight the App in their application stores in Germany?!

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
The real question is, what makes you think you should offer you opinion of others at all? At best, you're a rude, petty person. If you don't want to play, then don't play. However, don't stand there and lecture those who DO play as if you're somehow in a position to assert your superiority. You're nothing special.

As for parties, you and your little cohort who seem to get off on standing around talking about how much you disapprove of others are the kinds of people who, frankly, don't get invited to quality parties anyway. Get a life, instead of tending to everyone else's and telling them what you think they should choose to do with their time and energy.
I'm glad you chimed in, it really added to the discussion.

What makes me think I should offer my opinion? Because this is a forum for discussion of varying opinions. It is also the United States of America where I can say whatever I want and you have to accept that. What makes you think you should offer yours? If you don't like debate, than perhaps a forum in not a good fit.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
The game is kinda fun, but it has a few flaws in my opinion:
a) Experience grind is crazy for a game like this. Think of the early mmorpg's where it took you forever to gain levels.
b) The game is very simple, and it's gonna take a long time before anything new is implemented.
c) There are already tons of cheats available for this game which is gonna discourage even more legitimate players from sticking around.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Convenient ... Play Pokemon and also get a meal at Maccas... Kill two birds with one stone (er.. i mean happy meal)

Seems this app is probably just as big in the number of downloads (if not bigger) than Flappy Birds.

I'd rather catch a meal than a fuzz-ball anyday :)

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
The game is kinda fun, but it has a few flaws in my opinion:
a) Experience grind is crazy for a game like this. Think of the early mmorpg's where it took you forever to gain levels.
b) The game is very simple, and it's gonna take a long time before anything new is implemented.
c) There are already tons of cheats available for this game which is gonna discourage even more legitimate players from sticking around.
FWIW,
a) I thought the levels come (comparatively) quite easily in this game. After two years of Ingress, I'm level 13. Here in Niantic's newer game, Pokémon Go, I'm level 21, a mere 16 days after release. Wasn't expecting this to go so fast. I assumed that was either to match up with levels in previous Pokémon games (I've never played any of them, so I don't know) or, I don't know, to keep new players interested.
b) I suspect they have a roadmap and at least partial implementations of a number of additional features, based on what they've done over the years with Ingress. They've just been swamped with keeping the servers running. Folks keep describing the game as incredibly buggy - I see a game with a handful of bugs, but ones that everyone keeps hitting over and over. Agreed the game is simple as it stands now, it's a bit more like a pastime than a game at this point (you level up and then... level up some more? The gyms change hands quite easily and often.)
c) Cheats? Really? I've not heard of any effective ones. I'm curious what there is. Ingress has long had a problem with GPS spoofing (because getting to particular portals can be highly advantageous, so some cheaters will do it from their couch), but in Pokémon so far, one Gym is just as good as any other. But the others I've heard have all been in the harebrained/idiotic category like attaching your phone to the blades of a ceiling fan to try to get "kilometers walked" without effort.

Reactions: ErikGrim

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Alot of Poke-haters on this thread.

We call them 'Bug Catchers'. They're just salty cause all they managed to capture was a Metapod who knows one move — Harden. From thereon in, they decided Pokemon was stupid as they didn't understand it.

That's how I like to look at it, anyway. It makes the Poke-hate a little more entertaining :D

Reactions: kupkakez and CarlJ

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
I wanted to like it but the app is so horrible buggy its a joke. Was in the middle of catching a pokemon on more than one occasion when it froze and crashed. After the second time, i immediately deleted it.

I mean you have one job to do and if you can't even manage that...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.