Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Control Center Bluetooth/WiFi Toggle do you prefer?

• Total voters

midkay

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2008
Pointless is perhaps hyperbole, but having to go into settings over and over and over again just to do something that was so simple before is infuriating.
Can I ask what the need is to be toggling Wi-Fi fully off? The new functionality where it disconnects should get you the same net result (you're not using Wi-Fi) while still improving location services accuracy, allowing AirDrop, etc etc etc (there's a big list of pros to this method). And don't say battery life because it seems this change makes practically zero difference in that regard.

rootee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
California
Can I ask what the need is to be toggling Wi-Fi fully off? The new functionality where it disconnects should get you the same net result (you're not using Wi-Fi) while still improving location services accuracy, allowing AirDrop, etc etc etc (there's a big list of pros to this method). And don't say battery life because it seems this change makes practically zero difference in that regard.
The major reason for me is privacy; I’d prefer that my phone not act as a here I am beacon for ad based tracking and black hats. Also, this is anecdotal of course, but on my iPhone 6, it seems to me that my phone gets an additional hour or so of runtime when I fully disable WiFi and Bluetooth; I’ve had my phone for three years and have gotten to know its nuances. The power difference may be small but noticeable, for me at least.

Reactions: !!!

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Need a “don’t care” option. I have a Plus so battery life has never been an issue for me. On iOS 10 I left WiFi and BT on all the time. Same with iOS 11. Not seeing a difference.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Because I have an iPhone 6 with no 3D Touch. That is pretty slick you can do that with the Settings app icon; I would probably be happy with that.
Oh yeah it would help to have 3D capable device :) Sorry bout that.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I guess I understand the change, but I don’t really get the point. I think it’s very confusing that all you’re doing is temporarily disconnected from all your devices.

And even if that is what Apple believes is superior, I believe that even the most unaware users would assume that tapping the Bluetooth toggle turns it off off. Therefore they need to update the UI to be more clear.

Reactions: dk001

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Why is this happening? I dont understand it.

I'm not sure really, but I've noticed now when I am connected to ANY Bluetooth device the iPhone icon becomes a pair of headphones (how very presumptuous of Apple, not-so-subtle Airpod promotion I guess!). Just another bit of slightly odd UI in modern iOS presumably.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm not sure really, but I've noticed now when I am connected to ANY Bluetooth device the iPhone icon becomes a pair of headphones (how very presumptuous of Apple, not-so-subtle Airpod promotion I guess!). Just another bit of slightly odd UI in modern iOS presumably.
Icon of traditional headphones hardly makes anyone think of AirPods (as far as any promotion might go).

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Icon of traditional headphones hardly makes anyone think of AirPods (as far as any promotion might go).

Either way it's a strange choice given the variety of products Bluetooth is used to pair with. Mine is usually connected to my car, my TV, or Bluetooth speakers. Never to headphones - since I'm fortunate enough to have an SE with a 3.5mm jack for that. :)

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
The hotel has rubbish wifi, which means turning it off and using 4G is far better. But every time my wife asks me to AirDrop her photos we end up sitting staring at the screen until we remember one of both of us has wifi turned off. The new method would avoid this issue.

This is valid. Or, sometimes I or my wife turn of WiFi for a specific situation and end up consuming our cellular data for several days.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
This is valid. Or, sometimes I or my wife turn of WiFi for a specific situation and end up consuming our cellular data for several days.

I think giving users credit for their own intelligence is better, you turn something off because you want it off, not expect it to be off for a little while - at the very least it's an ideal option for short/long press functionality!

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
I think giving users credit for their own intelligence is better, you turn something off because you want it off, not expect it to be off for a little while - at the very least it's an ideal option for short/long press functionality!
That’s a nice passive-aggressive ad hominem attack technique you’ve got going, there.

Why not explain why stopping using WiFi versus switching it off is such a big issue instead? I genuinely don’t see any significant difference.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
That’s a nice passive-aggressive ad hominem attack technique you’ve got going, there.

Why not explain why stopping using WiFi versus switching it off is such a big issue instead? I genuinely don’t see any significant difference.

In that case you have apparently not been bothered by the link to WiFi when you thought it was off.
I mean, how hard would it have been to label it as "Disconnect / Connect"?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
In that case you have apparently not been bothered by the link to WiFi when you thought it was off.
I mean, how hard would it have been to label it as "Disconnect / Connect"?
Label it where?

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Can we all agree that OP has some paranoid reasoning for wanting WiFi to be off all the time?

From my point of view, Apple designed iOS to be used a certain way. The unstated belief has always been, "if it doesn't work for you, GTFO and go use something else." Right?

shooter03

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2013
Pakenham, Victoria,Australia
As far as I understand having both the wifi and Bluetooth on but not connected as apposed to being completely off doesn’t have much of any effect on the battery drain. Would I be correct? That’s the only reason I’d want it turned off completely.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
It needs to be able to be disabled all together. With the way battery life is on iOS 11, leaving it on is doing more harm than good. It's a hassle opening the settings app each and every time I want to turn it off.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010

Because it's always worked clearly and obviously how every rational person would expect it to - on/off. You have control. Now Apple's made it function awkwardly with no obvious indicator, that's just needlessly confusing. A few people have said to me that their "bluetooth keeps turning on", they don't read forums and are obviously confused and frustrated by it, that's poor design since the iPhone has always been something people should just be able to use without instruction. I suggested how it could be improved with an indicator and a long/short press: "Wifi temporarily disabled"/"Wifi turned off".

You say my comment was passive-aggressive yet it was just a suggestion that the functionality was not obvious and could be improved, since there are plenty of comments about it it would seem I'm not alone. Apple is a company, you can't really be passive-aggressive about a company's software since that's more to do with feelings, it seems as though you're taking it personally? You come across as someone who can't stand hearing even mild criticism of Apple and has to defend them, not everything they do has to be perfect and people don't always have to praise their every decision.

Since you want an example - my work Wi-Fi is patchy and not too fast (ADSL2, 11mb on a good day but with 10 people using it), it's a large warehouse/office and coverage doesn't reach everywhere. I often turn off Wi-Fi at work because when it has a particularly slow day or when I'm on the edge of range/behind the wrong wall the phone takes forever trying to connect (and drains battery in doing so), my 4G is far more efficient. at least a couple of times already I've been trying to use my phone internet to send emails and found that it's jumped back on WiFi and is hanging, both irritating and battery draining.

It was a change no-one was asking for, it wasn't broken. It's a reasonable idea but poorly implemented as there is no indicator as to what it's doing or for how long it's turning off. Now I have to fiddle around in menu's to actually turn wifi or Bluetooth off rather than using a shortcut or having an option to set the functionality of the shortcut to my preference (they could even have a length timer in the settings menu since they've done this), it's a step backwards.

Last edited:

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
You say my comment was passive-aggressive yet it was just a suggestion that the functionality was not obvious and could be improved
You said:

I think giving users credit for their own intelligence is better

This is a clear insinuation that anyone who likes the feature is stupid.

I’m considered pretty smart by friends and co-workers. I’ve also provided an example of why I like the new feature. It actually creates an option that wasn’t there before - turn WiFi off for now but not permanently. The other option still exists, though you need to access it a different way.

The controls have changed however that is hardly without precedent. If you have friends who always want Bluetooth to be off, then I would ask if they ever use Continuity or Handoff (whether they know the names of these features or not)? If they do then the new method is helping. If they have no other devices at all then sure, turn Bluetooth off in settings. Otherwise maybe help them understand the change rather than just lamenting it? I would note that, when you use the (for example) WiFi control the feedback appears “Disconnected from ...” in an effort to explain the behaviour.

In my experience very few people have absolutely no Bluetooth devices and never use wifi. I could be wrong, however, which is why I ask what the problem is beyond “I don’t understand the change” (which is how you characterise your friend’s response).

It's a Sweet Cake

Suspended
Sep 24, 2017
Yeah, not being able to 'normally' turn off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth from the control center is just unbelievable...
Other than that, the control center looks like one helluva mess to me... Still have to look at it for a few seconds after days of iOS 11 before figuring out where is the thing I need (and I have only 4 tiles at the bottom :D ...)

rbf1138

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
My frustration is that previously I could toggle Wifi off in control center and that was that. Now when I toggle it “off” in control center, I get constant pop-up dialogues asking me which Wifi network I want to connect to as I drive around, walk into work, etc. I don’t want to connect to any, that’s why I turned it off!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My frustration is that previously I could toggle Wifi off in control center and that was that. Now when I toggle it “off” in control center, I get constant pop-up dialogues asking me which Wifi network I want to connect to as I drive around, walk into work, etc. I don’t want to connect to any, that’s why I turned it off!
Why not just disable the prompt to ask to connect to networks?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.