Poll: Is your iPhone 6 / 6 Plus Bent?

Is your iPhone 6 / 6S bent? (Public Poll)

• Total voters

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2009
is your iPhone 6/ 6 Plus bent? This is a public poll of a relatively minor issue. if your Phone is really bent, take apicture and post it here

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2011
Bro why you grouping the 6 with the 6+?

The 6 is in a league of its own. It's not vulnerable to bendgate.

drew0020

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2006
It's not bent yet... I have a 6 Plus and its in my front pocket about 20% of the time. It barely fits in my jeans pocket so I am slightly worried about a weekend of carrying it around after hearing all of these stories.

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Bro why you grouping the 6 with the 6+?

The 6 is in a league of its own. It's not vulnerable to bendgate.

I wouldn't say that. Anything metal can be bent. The thinner it is the less force it takes. The iPhone 5/5s could be bent so surely the 6 can too. It may be way more resistant to bending than the 6 plus simply due to the size, but you still need to exercise a certain amount of care.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Cowboy1629, DelMac you voted your Phone is bent, can you post pictures?

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2009
schizbomb can you post your bent iPhone.

If any of those who have said yes to bent phone cant respond here or post a picture, your vote will be deemed a fake.

----------

Steviejobz can you post a picture of your bent iPhone?

bob24

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
If any of those who have said yes to bent phone cant respond here or post a picture, your vote will be deemed a fake.
Equally you should require pictures for unbent votes ... no reason to trust them more. But in practice you'll never be able to measure the proportion of bent ones, you will just be able to list how many documented cases have been posted.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Equally you should require pictures for unbent votes ... no reason to trust them more. But in practice you'll never be able to measure the proportion of bent ones, you will just be able to list how many documented cases have been posted.
the ISSUE is a bent phone, a person will a straight phone won't even bother, a bent phone person has an issue which needs fixing. a person will never say thier phone is straight because thats whats expected. I am asking people to post pictures of thier unexpected phones.

a Person with bent phone would never vote No because he/she just spent 200+ on their device

bob24

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
the ISSUE is a bent phone, a person will a straight phone won't even bother, a bent phone person has an issue which needs fixing. a person will never say thier phone is straight because thats whats expected. I am asking people to post pictures of thier unexpected phones.

a Person with bent phone would never vote No because he/she just spent 200+ on their device
How do you know the people who voted no even have an iPhone 6?
Some people will just vote one way or the other to support their opinion ... especially with this topic where people obviously people get very involved (see the amount of threads and how people go crazy about them)

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
I noticed my 6+ was bent yesterday near the bottom volume button. I determined this by lying the 6+ on its face on a table and pressing on each of the four corners one by one. The wobble was quite apparent. I've since bent it back into place (approximately anyway), so I don't have pictures.

I have to say, I'm quite surprised and disappointed by this. Of all the R&D/testing Apple performs on their phones, I would have expected Apple to find and remedy this before launch. Real world usage testing would have produced the amount of bend that occurred in my 6+. I've had my 6+ in my back pocket when walking, as there's more room for it than in my front pocket, and I don't sit on it, so I'm not sure how I produced the bending.

It took very little force to bend it back into shape– the videos online produce a much larger bend than what occurred in my phone, so that's why more force was apparently needed.

As someone who's had every iteration of the iPhone and never had bending issues before (I'm gentle on my tech), the 6+ bending issue is disappointing. Apple should have reinforced the weak area, made the phone thicker, or used a different metal or alloy, such as aircraft grade 7075-T6 aluminum.

As for users suggesting that a case will remedy the bending issues: 1. You should be able to use your phone in normal daily use and not have it bend; period. 2. A case should not be required to provide normal structural rigidity (see point #1). 3. A case outside of the full size OtterBox would still likely bend to a certain degree, allowing your phone to bend slightly as well.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2009
I noticed my 6+ was bent yesterday near the bottom volume button. I determined this by lying the 6+ on its face on a table and pressing on each of the four corners one by one. The wobble was quite apparent. I've since bent it back into place (approximately anyway), so I don't have pictures.

I have to say, I'm quite surprised and disappointed by this. Of all the R&D/testing Apple performs on their phones, I would have expected Apple to find and remedy this before launch. Real world usage testing would have produced the amount of bend that occurred in my 6+. I've had my 6+ in my back pocket when walking, as there's more room for it than in my front pocket, and I don't sit on it, so I'm not sure how I produced the bending.

It took very little force to bend it back into shape– the videos online produce a much larger bend than what occurred in my phone, so that's why more force was apparently needed.

As someone who's had every iteration of the iPhone and never had bending issues before (I'm gentle on my tech), the 6+ bending issue is disappointing. Apple should have reinforced the weak area, made the phone thicker, or used a different metal or alloy, such as aircraft grade 7075-T6 aluminum.

As for users suggesting that a case will remedy the bending issues: 1. You should be able to use your phone in normal daily use and not have it bend; period. 2. A case should not be required to provide normal structural rigidity (see point #1). 3. A case outside of the full size OtterBox would still likely bend to a certain degree, allowing your phone to bend slightly as well.
Photo?

threelions

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
Public PSA: If you sit on your iPhone in your back pocket, it will increase it's chances of getting bent.

And this isn't an issue exclusive to the iPhone.

http://www.cultofmac.com/297404/get-bent-shocking-history-bent-smartphones/
Idiot reminder. People's phones are bending in the front pocket.

EDIT - oh and you won't get honest answers from either side of the poll. The cultists will vote no even if they don't have the phone and anyone who's had any problem with Apple products and had to deal with the cultists will vote yes even if they don't have the phone.

pscl

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2013
i think there is nothing left to say in terms of "this is a common problem"

Different Phones were bending in the past... no one gives a *****. the newly released iphone 6+ bends and everyone loses their minds. :cool:

finepiks

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2012
I voted no but I only got my phone yesterday - 64g silver - I have the Apple leather case on it but will have a more honest view after I return to Hong Kong from visiting the Uk for a 10 day trip starting tomorrow. The phone will be in my front pocket all the time unless I'm sleeping so will be a fair test of my normal daily use.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
If only Apple would have made the iPhone 6 in the body of the iPhone 4, then we would not be reading about bending issues.

sinister184

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2014
If be interested to see how prone the 4.7 is to bending. It is thinner than the 6 plus. Maybe someone, with more money than me, will risk their phone to test it soon.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2009
you can't realistically bend it into a perfect shape. with aluminium if you have machinery it is impossible to get a shape where if you lay it down or up, that you don't get a wobble. It is nearly impossible to match the bend back with the warping of bending to become perfectly straight. when you bend anodized aluminium, the fingers of a human are too big to have a precise bend back. not buying this. there has to be a rocking even a little. you can post the picture of the approximate bend it has.

jpeg42

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Orygun
I voted yes and I don't have a 6 or 6+.

This poll is biased unless you require proof for both options. Otherwise anyone can vote 'no' without even owning the phone to pad the results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.