Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What is your preferred browser and why?

• Safari

Votes: 130 69.1%
  • Firefox

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • Mozilla

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Camino

Votes: 22 11.7%
  • Opera

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Other (please state which)

Votes: 5 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Firefox, because of the way it handles tabs, it's reasonably stable and secure (although there's been more security threats for firefox than IE in the last 6 months as hackers become more aware of its market share).

Safari looks nice, but has tabs disabled by default, and doesn't warn you before closing if you have multiple tabs open. Safari also lacks the ability to sort bookmarks alphabetically (unless that's been added to 10.4.3, can someone confirm?).

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Safari. I like the tabbed browsing and bookmarking. I dabbled with Firefox but it just didn't take off for me. Since I'm quite satisfied with Safari, I've never really given any other browser enough of a shot to determine whether or not it would suit me better.

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
Firefox: I moved onto that on Windows before I got a Mac, and that's where I started collecting my bookmarks and I haven't bothered taking them over to Safari. Plus, my internet banking doesn't support Safari.

Firefox is a bit buggy at times, but I think that's a feature of browsers in general that throw a wobbly if they encounter a slightly non-standard bit of code.

Pistol Pete

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2005
California
generik said:
Is there a version of safari that supports tabbed browsing?

Or maybe something that changes firefox so it uses webkit to render pages instead of geeko?

yes check the preferences and enable it...

Kup

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2005
Earth
Safari for me, but Opera is a close second. I voted for Safari simply because I use it more often than Opera.

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
Answered Safari, but two weeks ago I would of said Camino, and who knows, in two more weeks I might say Camino again.

They both have their advantages, but it seems like Safari has caught up in terms of speed with 10.4.3

Mavimao

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2005
Lyon, France
Camino for me. It's a simple, light browser that's faster than any other browser I've seen. Safari is good but it bogs my system down sometimes. I tried Opera, and while I loved all the features, it just became overload and it wouldn't load a lot of pages correctly.

carlos700

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2004
Omaha, NE
I use Firefox as my main browser. But since I design web sites I also have to test them in Internet Explorer (PC) and Safari (Mac)

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I rotate every 3-6 months...usually when I get bored with my current browser. :p

I'm using Firefox right now mainly because of all the Extensions and Themes you can get for it (I love the Modern Pinball look). :)

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
Im gonna put the recognition where it is deserved. I was a dedicated Camino 8.0 user about a year ago for its quick operation but ditched it for Firefox/Safari since then because of its instability.

I was completely unaware of Camino 1.0 until now and ive been using it for the past 15 minutes and holy cow im in love with Camino all over again. Extremely fast compared to Safari and seems just as stable.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
At the moment Safari (2.0.2) is my favorite browser. With AcidSearch and the above mentioned Taboo installed AdBlock is the only thing I really miss from Firefox, but Safari's RSS handling beats FF's live bookmarks hands down and then there's the spell checker...

Now, if someone improves Firefox' RSS handling and adds Mac OS X' systemwide spell checker, then I might switch back to Firefox... ;)

Bern

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
This is interesting. I'm conducting the same poll on a windows forum and the results are quite similar for ratios between IE/Firefox and the ones here between Safari/Firefox.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
I voted camino. It is the browser that i use the most and i rairly have to use any other.

I mgiht give safari another chance if it could somehow display bookmarks in the bookmarks bar like camino. that is the one thing i REALLY like about camino. I dont know if there is a way to do this but i wish it could be done.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
I use Safari, since it automagically expands files after downloading, and has never really given me problems. I don't like the brushed metal look though.

Camino, Firefox and Shiira are all nice - but for some reason I always go back to using Safari.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
atari1356 said:
I use Safari, since it automagically expands files after downloading, and has never really given me problems. I don't like the brushed metal look though.

Camino, Firefox and Shiira are all nice - but for some reason I always go back to using Safari.

You know, if that's Safari's only draw for you, Camino can do that too, and is brushed metal free. :)

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
Safari - no question :D There's too many things that make it good.

I notice how you haven't included IE in the poll ;) (note: I've only read the first post of this thread)

Hunts121

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2005
Massachusetts
love firefox but not on OSX, too damned slow. I click the icon and it takes almost as long as photohop to open, its a frickin web browser here people. Safari opens almost instantly and renders pages just as well if not better. the only thing I miss are some of firefox's extensions. Same thing with thunderbird, love it, but too slow on OSX (especially when composing a mail message the first time...oiy).

HydroMan

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2004
Luton. Lutonshire.
I use Safari because I'm too lazy to change it from being the default application to open with mail etc, I do like the spell checker though, I think Firefox is good to use when a page refuses to load in Safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.