Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to subscribe to CBS All-Access for Star Trek?

• Yes, I'm going to subscribe to CBS All-Access specifically for Star Trek.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Yes, sort of, I already subscribe to CBS All-Access anyway.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • No, I'll just wait however long it takes for exclusively to end and watch it on some other service

Votes: 34 58.6%
  • No, but I will use "other means" to watch it as it airs.

Votes: 16 27.6%

• Total voters

Number-Six

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2013
With all these delays and weird casting and plain old weird choices for the series, it's starting to look like the poll is missing an option of "No, I will not watch it at all"

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It would be interesting to see the calculation comparing advertising revenue from a wildly popular broadcast show versus the dollars from a more limited subscription viewership.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Reactions: jdoll021

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I might wait for netflix or hulu...
It'd be nice if that happens, but given that CBS is doing this exclusively on their on online streaming service it seems like they likely wouldn't want it available on other similar services (at the very least not for quite some time).

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
I'll likely watch it on my iMac 27". As said above, not paying to subscribe for 1 good show. And I don't feel like waiting a year for it to show up on Netflix.

EDIT: Just saw that it will be shown on Netflix within 24 hours of original airing. That's acceptable and I already have Netflix.

Last edited:

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
I consider myself a Trekkie, and given my age, I was able to watch the TOS when it first aired :eek:

The last series Star Trek: Enterprise had so much promise I was really looking forward to this. I thought they' be getting back more of the roots of Star Trek, yet they messed it up, with so much time travel crap. They had a blank slate to really come up with some new ideas and new villians and all they could do is time travel with the same old topics.

"Enterprise" had a great concept, but ultimately it was stupid. Scott Bakula's captain should have been fragged by episode two; no captain in modern history has had so little regard for the safety of his crew. And he was ridiculously insistent on projecting his preconceptions on alien behavior, without having the slightest understanding of the history or culture of said aliens. I realize this was pre-Prime Directive and supposed to suggest how naive Earth-people were about space; but c'mon, 98% of the adults I know would have made wiser captains. Horrible, ridiculous writing that destroyed my willingness to suspend disbelief.

Reactions: mobilehaathi

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I'll likely watch it on my iMac 27". As said above, not paying to subscribe for 1 good show. And I don't feel like waiting a year for it to show up on Netflix.

EDIT: Just saw that it will be shown on Netflix within 24 hours of original airing. That's acceptable and I already have Netflix.

The Netflix deal is for non US accounts.

"Enterprise" had a great concept, but ultimately it was stupid. Scott Bakula's captain should have been fragged by episode two; no captain in modern history has had so little regard for the safety of his crew. And he was ridiculously insistent on projecting his preconceptions on alien behavior, without having the slightest understanding of the history or culture of said aliens. I realize this was pre-Prime Directive and supposed to suggest how naive Earth-people were about space; but c'mon, 98% of the adults I know would have made wiser captains. Horrible, ridiculous writing that destroyed my willingness to suspend disbelief.

He did make some boneheaded moves. I just didn't like how they wasted so much time with the Xindi, overuse of time travel and the whole temporal cold war. Still, it was better than Voyager.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
You know every season would end with the rebels blowing up a new, different kind of Death Star. :rolleyes:

Who am I kidding, I would watch it anyway.

Oh but what a glories season it would be! :D:D

How did season one end: Death Star blown up
How did season two end: Death Star II blow up
How did season three end: Brother and sister kiss! :eek: Oh and another Death Star was blown up!

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
The Netflix deal is for non US accounts.
Bummer.

I really want to see it, but I've got zero interest in subscribing for it. We don't even have cable TV anymore. Not sure how I'm going to watch it (got a nastygram from my ISP about an episode of Grand Tour I had downloaded, so I hesitate to do BT again).

Number-Six

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2013
That looks pretty terrible :oops:

But I just saw that it will air on Space in Canada, so at least there's that. I'll watch out of morbid curiosity probably, but it's looking pretty bad

jdoll021

macrumors 6502
I won't be subscribing to CBS All Access. I'll probably wait for the initial reviews and plot descriptions to see if it's worth buying a season pass from iTunes (if CBS will let Apple put the show on iTunes).

I actually kind of wish Netflix can just buy Star Trek off of CBS (or at least viewership rights) because I have more faith in their handling of the creative team than I do with CBS/Moonves.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I won't be subscribing to CBS All Access. I'll probably wait for the initial reviews and plot descriptions to see if it's worth buying a season pass from iTunes (if CBS will let Apple put the show on iTunes).
iber cash cow
I actually kind of wish Netflix can just buy Star Trek off of CBS (or at least viewership rights) because I have more faith in their handling of the creative team than I do with CBS/Moonves.
It seems like CBS would want in on a subscription cash cow it that what it turns out to be. Unknown if that will be the case.

Reactions: jdoll021

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
He did make some boneheaded moves. I just didn't like how they wasted so much time with the Xindi, overuse of time travel and the whole temporal cold war. Still, it was better than Voyager.

ha, ha, this...

Nonetheless, I liked "Enterprise" and bought the Blu-ray series set...

btw - looks like Paramount had released all the Star Trek's as a series set on BR. This, IMHO, is the last physical release of the Star Treks as they will now be available on CBS All Access as well as downloads (though, who knows how long downloads from other sources such as iTunes will last).

CBS could very well make Star Trek available only through their subscription service.

That is the way the TV/Movie industry wants to go anyways - a pay-per-view or subscription service.

(I don't "exclusivity" with this series is going to ever end.)

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
Still, it was better than Voyager.

Not a big achievement that......

I'd say Cpt Archer was closer to reality then Kirk who would solve half the issues by f###ing some alien chick.

TNG was crushed by Wesley and lack of a proper story line.

DS9 is my alltime favourite (got better and better till the 2nd to last season)

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
ha, ha, this...

Nonetheless, I liked "Enterprise" and bought the Blu-ray series set...

btw - looks like Paramount had released all the Star Trek's as a series set on BR. This, IMHO, is the last physical release of the Star Treks as they will now be available on CBS All Access as well as downloads (though, who knows how long downloads from other sources such as iTunes will last).

CBS could very well make Star Trek available only through their subscription service.

That is the way the TV/Movie industry wants to go anyways - a pay-per-view or subscription service.

(I don't "exclusivity" with this series is going to ever end.)

Perhaps for a while. I can't see their subscription service panning out if all they have is a very limited set of content.

Not a big achievement that......

I'd say Cpt Archer was closer to reality then Kirk who would solve half the issues by f###ing some alien chick.

TNG was crushed by Wesley and lack of a proper story line.

DS9 is my alltime favourite (got better and better till the 2nd to last season)

The lack of a overall cohesive story line is what I love about TNG and TOS. I prefer that old format on TV. Where the events of the last episode have little effect on future episodes. Besides a rare occasional remark. That way the show could focus more on the current conundrum. Rather than long story arches with other events mixed in.

That's what bogged down DS9 after the first few seasons when they changed to that format. Which I can understand. How many excuses can you come up with for the commander of a space station to explore the unknown? When it is the center of a major trade route, and there are starships dedicated to that mission.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.