Poor quality control on silver 15 rMBP - scratches near the speaker hole array

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SlickVik, Nov 18, 2016.

1. SlickVik macrumors member

I've returned 3 Silver 15" rMBP for the same issue - cosmetic imperfections below the speaker holes. Its generally a scratch in the aluminum that was polished out but the finish doesn't match. Appears these are being rushed out the door and the fit and finish isn't up to Apple standards. I'm going to wait for them to iron out these manufacturing issues to buy again.

If you own a 15 silver you should check for imperfections near the speaker hole array. Seems the machine they're using leaves a nasty scratch after its done!

2. RetinaFarts, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  3. sinoka56 macrumors regular

if that's the case, Apple's standards are not the same as before ... you know Jobs' standard

4. killawat macrumors 65816

3? You might just want to try a different store at that point. My silver model was flawless OOTB.

5. fokmik macrumors 68000

how is your UI with HD530? is smooth in for example mission control etc?

6. R.P.G macrumors member

7. SlickVik thread starter macrumors member

I didn't bother with pics as I was too busy exchanging units to get a good one - I do want people to carefully observe the area below the speaker holes on their MacBooks. I'll wait for the second or third batch myself.

8. justinl01 macrumors newbie

Hmm how many other reported cases have you seen? You are implying it could be a faulty machine affecting a few batches yet you have a sample size of one? Statistically this is not just not significant it is a non event, personally I would just get a replacement immediately (or as soon as apple can ship it) and enjoy your new laptop which I'm sure won't have any imperfections. One thing for sure we have had 1000's of deliveries and if this was an issue it would be widely known about by now!

9. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Cool story bro.

10. SlickVik thread starter macrumors member

Thanks - I decided to get over my paranoia and ordered one from Best Buy due Friday. Hopefully you're right!

11. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

No scratches here! (Surprise, surprise.)

12. justinl01 macrumors newbie

Good luck I'm sure it will be fine, seen lots of reports about different issues but none about the build quality and scratches. I have to wait until next week for mine, being in the UK it seems to be on a go slow!

13. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

You're not wearing a watch with a metal buckle are you?

14. budfoot macrumors regular

budfoot

15. kevin.wadiak macrumors member

[​IMG]

I sent my 15 bto space grey back today for that exact scratch for 3000 i have ocd! Now i got to wait 2 weeks o well lol!

16. kevin.wadiak macrumors member

I went into my apple store and inspected all the new ones. None of them had that mark mine did so i asked for a replacement.

17. SlickVik thread starter macrumors member

That is pretty much exactly how all 3 of my returns looked! Its not OCD on a $4k computer :)

18. kevin.wadiak macrumors member

Were yours all stock models in the store? I am wondering how long it will take to get a new one built and shipped they said it will be expedited so i shall see.

19. SlickVik thread starter macrumors member

My original was BTO 2TB - then the two replacements were technically BTO 1TB but the Apple Store carries them in stock. The one I ordered from Best Buy is the higher end stock 512GB as there's no way I'm waiting until next year. I'm hoping it being a real stock model and from a completely different retailer lowers the chances of that defect.

20. kevin.wadiak macrumors member

Its nice that apple doesn't hassle us on the issue, if it was on the bottom I wouldn't be replacing it but it's right in view and I have a 2009 Mac Pro with no scratches yet lol!

21. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

Have you also checked the side vents? Some are coming out finger-slice sharp.

22. Mildredop macrumors 68020

No-one with OCD would type it "ocd".

23. Spoony Bard macrumors regular

Hey, so. Turns out I've got that same mark in the exact same spot under my left speaker grille on my BTO space grey 15". I noticed it when I opened it up for the first time, but ehhh. It's only visible when looking at an angle. No issues otherwise, so I'm keeping it.

24. filozione macrumors newbie

Got mine SG 15" BTO 512GB/460 today an I am really pi**** off.:(
    Nice scratch below the right speaker, so I called apple earlier this evening. They will replace it,
    after they got mine back. The new one should be here in 5 -7 days after that, if you can trust the friendly apple service. Well, we will see it. Referring to the new order mail, it will take 3-4 weeks (19.–29. December). This will freaking me out! :confused:

IMG_3057.JPG

25. vddobrev macrumors regular

Well, this is certainly not QC issues, clearly this does not pass visual inspection. Is Apple in a hurry to fulfill orders even with units that did not pass QC, only to gain time and then replace them?