Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I wouldn’t call him an idiot. I’ve seen several of his videos and he’s very knowledgeable. Based on the iMac video he wasn’t complaining about the warranty or looking for a free fix. He just wanted to buy the part or even pay Apple to fix it. Apple didn’t have a supply chain to fix their new iMac, that was the issue.
[doublepost=1531264674][/doublepost]

Accidents happen in every line of work. Even the best occasionally break products when they are working on them.

The ‘accident’ happened when his mate was trying to put the brand new iMac Pro back together after ‘they’ took it to pieces. And he isn’t as knowledgeable as he makes out sometimes, a lot of the stuff he pushes he’s sponsored for.
[doublepost=1531267012][/doublepost]
then clearly you have not read the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act of 1975
which doesnt apply in Linus' case because he's A Canadian in Canada and the US has yet to invade my country.

Up here each Province has laws on Warranties, Unfortunately B.C doesnt have legal precidence for Warranty Void Stickers

True

True again, However in jurisdictions where the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act of 1975 and other similar laws apply, it is on Apple to prove it was your negligence that broke the device and that is why they are not honouring the repair.
the Warranty Void Sticker, tamper detection screws etc. is not proof.

to make money presumably but its up to them to decide if its worth the effort assuming they are following the law otherwise.

Right to repair legislation is to further cement the protections provided by the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act of 1975 but also to force OEM's to provide fair market access to existing parts and repair manuals.

eg. while yes they dont have to fix it for you, they would need to provide the ability to purchase OEM parts and manuals to you/3rd parties similar to how the auto industry works

however this may change as the states that have proposed these laws have yet to pass them so right to repair doesn't exist in the IT industry at least not in North America

Still they can refuse to repair, and in this case the video they made of it in bits kinda voids the warranty! I think a warranty void sticker inside the computer is perfectly valid and legal, considering the effort you would need to deliberately go to taking the machine apart to void it!

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
The ‘accident’ happened when his mate was trying to put the brand new iMac Pro back together after ‘they’ took it to pieces. And he isn’t as knowledgeable as he makes out sometimes, a lot of the stuff he pushes he’s sponsored for.

Still they can refuse to repair, and in this case the video they made of it in bits kinda voids the warranty! I think a warranty void sticker inside the computer is perfectly valid and legal, considering the effort you would need to deliberately go to taking the machine apart to void it!

I saw the accident, **** happens. I take his live advertisement reads as a business strategy. From what I heard he is a YouTube millionaire. Smart or dumb doesn’t matter. I don’t think he is a tech genius, but he is fairly knowledgeable. He is not an Apple guy by any means also.

Reactions: Regime2008

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
He's more at fault. How does a pro computer vlogger even break something they're proficient at to begin with? And, why buy a disposable computer and expecting to repair it. My ears still haven't adapted to his high frequency voice either.
In the original video that showed how the screen broke, it sure looked like to me it was deliberately dropped. I think this was a manufactured story and they’ll make more videos on this.

pmore

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2018
So, the Louis at the end was Rossmann?
I think so. And I cannot wait for the follow up video. It seems so weird to me why Apple wouldn't fix that Mac Pro while Linus was willing to pay for it. It is "professional" hardware after all. Things get damaged. We don't see Dell refusing to fix their professional line...

Last edited:

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
I think so. And I cannot wait for the follow up video. It seems so weird to me why Apple wouldn't fix that Mac Pro while Linus was willing to pay for it. It is "professional" hardware after all. Things get damaged. We don't see Dell refusing to fix their professional line...

I can’t wait for the follow up video as well.

I wonder if Apple just wasn’t prepared for repairs like that yet for the new product. They probably haven’t set up a supply chain for that model. Sounds crazy, but entirely possible. Sounded like he had to go through an authorizated repair shop, yet they couldn’t order the part in their systems yet. We shall see.

Reactions: pmore

Regime2008

Suspended
Oct 3, 2017
Basshead in ATL

No offense, but he is much more knowledgeable than the majority of folks on this forum. To be honest, he is a genius, and it's very dishonest to try and say that he isn't. I understand people may not like someone because of x,y,z... But that doesn't give anyone the right to discredit them.

Last edited:

pmore

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2018
No offense, but he is much more knowledgeable than the majority of folks on this forum. To be honest, he is a genius, and it's very dishonest to try and say that he isn't. I understand people may not like someone because of x,y,z... But that doesn't give anyone the right to discredit then.
I mean, if likes of MKBHD calls themselves "pro", just because they make some tech reviews on YouTube, why shouldn't Linus? A guy that not only reviews stuff but pushes tech to its limit?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Right to repair is for you to fix it or a third party, not the manufacture.
That's exactly what he mentioned trying, a third-party AASP. Apple's policy when it comes to supplying parts to AASPs is strict enough to be anti-competitive, and since the parts are proprietary it's pretty much impossible for another third-party aside from Apple to produce them.

I'm not sure about the legality of this practice, but you're kidding yourself if you really believe this doesn't go against the right-to-repair ideology.

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
Another click bait video by this dick. Honestly stop subscribing and watching his tripe and he will soon disappear as his revenue stream will dwindle.
It is really about time youtube adds a filter, like don't show video from X youtuber, there are a couple that always shows up and I avoid like the plague.

Reactions: Marshall73

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
He's more at fault. How does a pro computer vlogger even break something they're proficient at to begin with? And, why buy a disposable computer and expecting to repair it. My ears still haven't adapted to his high frequency voice either.

Is he ? Let's see... How does a - self claimed - professional company releasing a professional highly-priced computer and then claiming they have no certified engineers or the required parts in order to repair it ?
[doublepost=1531290122][/doublepost]
Another click bait video by this dick. Honestly stop subscribing and watching his tripe and he will soon disappear as his revenue stream will dwindle.

Yeah, that will show him. And the millions of his subscribers.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Is he ? Let's see... How does a - self claimed - professional company releasing a professional highly-priced computer and then claiming they have no certified engineers or the required parts in order to repair it ?
[doublepost=1531290122][/doublepost]

Yeah, that will show him. And the millions of his subscribers.

You are clearly one of his groupies.

spronkey

macrumors member
May 28, 2009
Wow some of you are idiots. The guy makes content that entertains a decent subscriber base on YouTube, yet because he says something you don't like it's straight with the personal insults. Get over yourselves.

Let's be honest right now: how would you feel if your kid threw a toy at your $6000 iMac Pro, broke the screen, and caused an internal short, only to be told that Apple won't fix it for you even if you pay them, and that your only recourse is to just buy another whole machine outright.

"Oh, but I would buy AppleCare", you say. Congratulations, this happened 3 years and 1 day in to your ownership of the machine. But it's irrelevant - AppleCare should not be a requirement for good repair services.

Even in the event your machine is completely dead, Apple should be able to charge you less for literally handing you a brand new-in-box replacement than what you paid for buying the first one, because Apple effectively subsidise the cost of their software development with hardware sales, and you've already paid your dues.

Apple could charge far less than the cost of a brand new machine for replacing the individual components inside an iMac Pro. That is if they were a company that thought of their users as more than just an annoying necessity to collect revenue.

If you think that the parts of that broken iMac pro that are still 100% usable (that slick Aluminium chassis and the whoppingly expensive CPU, for example) don't constitute a substantial amount of the machine's overall cost, you're braindead.

I've experienced this ******** first-hand - things like logic board replacement quotes where the logic board part literally costs more than the retail price of a brand new machine. It's blatantly anti-consumer, yet some people seem to think it's perfectly acceptable for a company to act this way. Imagine if BMW refused to service your car because you broke the dashboard fascia when you installed an aftermarket stereo. Or a Rolex service agent refused to service your watch because you scratched it when you replaced the strap. Yeah, exactly.

Last edited:

Regime2008

Suspended
Oct 3, 2017
Basshead in ATL
Wow some of you are idiots. The guy makes content that entertains a decent subscriber base on YouTube, yet because he says something you don't like it's straight with the personal insults. Get over yourselves.

Let's be honest right now: how would you feel if your kid threw a toy at your $6000 iMac Pro, broke the screen, and caused an internal short, only to be told that Apple won't fix it for you even if you pay them, and that your only recourse is to just buy another whole machine outright.

"Oh, but I would buy AppleCare", you say. Congratulations, this happened 3 years and 1 day in to your ownership of the machine. But it's irrelevant - AppleCare should not be a requirement for good repair services.

Apple should be able to charge you less for literally handing you a brand new-in-box replacement than what you paid for buying the first one, because Apple effectively subsidise the cost of their software development with hardware sales, and you've already paid your dues.

Apple could charge far less than the cost of a brand new machine for replacing the individual components inside an iMac Pro. That is if they were a company that thought of their users as more than just an annoying necessity to collect revenue.

If you think that the parts of that broken iMac pro that are still 100% usable (that slick Aluminium chassis and the whoppingly expensive CPU, for example) don't constitute a substantial amount of the machine's overall cost, you're braindead.

I've experienced this ******** first-hand - things like logic board replacement quotes where the logic board part literally costs more than the retail price of a brand new machine. It's blatantly anti-consumer, yet some people seem to think it's perfectly acceptable for a company to act this way. Imagine if BMW refused to service your car because you broke the dashboard fascia when you installed an aftermarket stereo. Or a Rolex service agent refused to service your watch because you scratched it when you replaced the strap. Yeah, exactly.
If this was Reddit, you would receive gold for this post! But for now, take my thumbs up. So much truth in what you said, but so many fail to realize these things.

Reactions: spronkey and pmore

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
You are clearly one of his groupies.

If by 'groupies' you mean subscribers, no I'm not (and better not start a conversation about apple's groupies in this particular forum). I do know, though, that apple's excuses are laughable under the context of a professional machine and should make all people purchased an iMac Pro at least nervous.

Good thing for apple, though, is that most people do not understand the difference between an iPhone's and iMac Pro's support concepts.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
True again, However in jurisdictions where the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act of 1975 and other similar laws apply, it is on Apple to prove it was your negligence that broke the device and that is why they are not honouring the repair.
the Warranty Void Sticker, tamper detection screws etc. is not proof.

True. Third party or DIY repairs do not automatically void a warranty. If something not related to your repair breaks it should still be covered. That's the prohibition against tie-ins. They do not have to repair anything repaired by someone other than Apple. However, opening a computer such as an iMac would seem to make it easier to argue the actions damaged something inside; given nature of its construction.

Interestingly, Apple could argue, by using the iMac in a video that is the blogger's business, it is commercial use and thus not covered by Magnuson–Moss; in which case only a commercial warranty would apply. I do not know if Apple has a separate commercial warranty. Commercial warranties I have seen often start at date of manufacture, not purchase so a one year warranty could conceivably by significantly less.

Right to repair legislation is to further cement the protections provided by the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act of 1975 but also to force OEM's to provide fair market access to existing parts and repair manuals.

eg. while yes they dont have to fix it for you, they would need to provide the ability to purchase OEM parts and manuals to you/3rd parties similar to how the auto industry works

however this may change as the states that have proposed these laws have yet to pass them so right to repair doesn't exist in the IT industry at least not in North America.

Right to repair would be good, but could be of limited real value. In cars, for example, electronic have gotten so sophisticated unless you have the right computer systems, which often are expensive and or not available to 3rd parties from the manufacturer, your ability to repair is limited. Parts can be very expensive as well, since manufacturers are not required to make the available at a reasonable price. By pricing replacement parts high enough they can make 3rd party repairs uneconomic; while keeping theres more reasonable. For example, Apple could charge a flat rate $500 for a repair but charge $400 or the part, leaving little room for a 3rd party to make money on the repair.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
however this may change as the states that have proposed these laws have yet to pass them so right to repair doesn't exist in the IT industry at least not in North America
This was kinda my whole thing with this video, he cites several of these proposed pieces of legislation and then seemed to make the suggestion that because of them Apple's refusal to make their parts and training widely and easily available was illegal, and I was like "he does realize that none of those have actually passed yet, right?"

Or did I misunderstand his point at the end of the video? Honestly the self-righteous tone (which he commonly adopts when talking about anything to do with Apple, his bias is extreme and well documented regardless of the redeeming features of his channel) kinda had me zoning out by the end of the video.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
No offense, but he is much more knowledgeable than the majority of folks on this forum. To be honest, he is a genius, and it's very dishonest to try and say that he isn't. I understand people may not like someone because of x,y,z... But that doesn't give anyone the right to discredit them.
Uh... genius is maybe a tad strong (unless you're referring to his innate ability to build an online community, but based on context I don't think you were?). He's not an idiot either, of course, but any number of the IT professionals I know have equivalent knowledge and experience to him, and I suspect that's probably true of pretty much anyone with that background. He's pretty knowledgable, but his knowledge and expertise isn't really what gained him the profile he has. That was his brand-building instincts, charisma, and work ethic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.