Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
If I'm reading this correctly, that would still make an iPhone voice+data plan about $100/mo. I'm not saying that's too much, but since I currently don't have a data plan at all, it would be quite a change in how much I budget for my phone use. Hmm.

I'm with you on this. Granted it's not for a few more months till my current Verizon contract expires, but right now I just have a voice plan with my RAZR. Ponying up more for a data plan is expected but out of the norm for my current phone habits.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
$500 + $40/month for data= $1460
$740 + $30/month for data= $1460

Your point is a really good one...although, to be honest, we're talking about $35-45/month for data, plus, most likely, at least $40/month for voice, meaning that iPhone plans will loosely be in the $80-100 range that we've been expecting all along, non? (Which, I guess, sorry, Neven said quite a few replies ago. :eek: )

mi5moav

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
That is about 10 bucks less for me a month and about 14 bucks more a month for my wife so over 2 years we would spend an extra $120 bucks a month for two brand new iphones...It's a great deal for me. Starting one new conversation with someone who would like to see my iphone or my wifes may lead to a sale in our book, so $120 vs 150k....the answer is easy as pie.

Masquerade

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2007
$40/month isn't too much for an old technology like edge (130Kbps transfer)?
In europe there are 3G dataplans (not unlimited transfers, but more than you can download in a month with edge) for about 30 euros@3.6Mbps (3.5G)...

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
I just think alot of people want the latest and greatest but not thinking about what it all costs....I have been using a Pocket PC/Palm product for awhile now so no really big suprise....If you havent then the data plan will be a shock to you over time whatever the cost...

15 is outstanding and you probably wouldnt notice that much on the bill...However I have been with cingular long time and your wishing to hard if you think your going to get this ever...Might have to w8 for unlocked version.

I have had several several several friends wanting a Treo after I got one...I told them a must is the data plan...So they all got the data plans thinking they were going to be surfing all the time....You will find at FIRST you will be using and showing it off....This will not be true over time...
However if everything on the Iphone is based on data plans then something might have to be faster even than 3G...Ie widgets and things of that nature that pull data from the net to you

Make sense...

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
What's your point?

It's not unreasonable to question the plan rates, especially if it means paying over $3000 over a two year period.

Agreed. Data plans are a commitment. If my fiancee and I both get an iPhone, it's not only $1200 +tax for the hardware, but $60/mo for the cheapest family plan and $40/mo * 2 for two data plans. Over two years, that's $4560... which is a significant proportion of our combined income. Especially when I'm hoping to replace my 5+ year-old Mac come Leopard...

We're talking a lot of money... which is nothing to laugh at. I have enough bills to pay and money to save with a wedding coming up in August...

I predict I won't be getting an iPhone for quite some time.

Fine by me though. I'd like a model with more space than 8GB. That'll hold a fraction of my music/movie collection.

-Clive

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
I'm with you on this. Granted it's not for a few more months till my current Verizon contract expires, but right now I just have a voice plan with my RAZR. Ponying up more for a data plan is expected but out of the norm for my current phone habits.

Then you might want to wait. Apple has made a clear distinction between the phone features versus the ipod features versus the internet. I would not be surprised to see another model from Apple which will be just the phone + (video) iPod. That one for all the millions of people who own iPods and phones already.

Figure that will be closer to $400 and not have any use for a data plan.

There are lots of different iPhones coming. Maybe this "all in one" first generation unit isn't what you need right now?

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
So your not going to buy a 600 buck phone because you cant pay the 45 a month HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I don't see what's so funny about this, texan. If you do the math, $45/month * 24 months = $1080. That's much more than $600, and that's about as much as I paid for my MBP. It's not like I'm not already paying $40/month for internet, and this is another charge for having more internet (albeit portable).

If it were the other way, i.e. not paying for a $600 plan with a $1080 phone, that makes less sense to me, and I'd laugh with you.

bigdog

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
Midcoast ME
I called att this morning, and they said they were not going to make people change their current plans. I have am part of a corporate plan, and the rep i talked to said that would work fine.
Not sure if a different rep would give a different story.

An AT&T rep I talked to said something similar, as I'm on a family/shared plan.

lessthandmb

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2003
Look at the current data + voice plans that are currently availible. I seriously doubt they will make any existing customer switch to a more expensive plan just to have an iPhone. If anything the "Special iPhone Plan" will be an all-in-one type plan where you get an unlimited data plan and you choose your minutes for a REDUCED rate. Apple wants to make the process as smooth and simple as they can. I doubt they would have the same process as people go through purchasing a normal phone. Paying $600 upfront for a phone is giving me the idea that the iPhone plan will have a lower price than the normal plans.

jeremy

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Im not trying to be rude about my HAHAHA but tyring to give a reality check here......Many people will bone up the 600 bucks to buy this phone...They will scrimp and save and sell off their mother to buy it...They then gripe that the plans will be too high...If your pinching pennies to get this and your griping about paying an extra 20-30 bucks then a Data type phone might not be for you...There is alot of hidden fees out there also along with no insurance on the phone...You drop it and break you just have a brick now...

Maybe those people need to w8 on the INANO phone that might not have the internet and such..Maybe just an ipod and phone

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
So your not going to buy a 600 buck phone because you cant pay the 45 a month HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It's $499. Less than a third of the total cost of the phone + 24 months data at $45 :)

Data costs a lot. I hope enough iPhones sell that data plans become mainstream and the cost drops sooner rather than later :)

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Sounds too high to me!

Yep - that's exactly what I thought too. Are some of these people mis-reading the article and thinking the price of around $35-45 per month is going to be the *total* plan price?

I have an unlimited data plan with US Cellular right now that only costs $9.95 extra. The total monthly cost of my plan is right around $72, and that includes insurance on my Motorola Razr phone, unlimited night and weekend minutes, 900 peak minutes per month, free mobile to mobile US Cellular calls, and unlimited free incoming calls.

Sure, my unused peak minutes don't "roll over" like AT&T does, but so what, at their prices! I used over 4,000 minutes on incoming calls last month on my cellphone - and paid for *none* of them with US Cellular. What does AT&T have to compare with that?

If I'm reading this correctly, that would still make an iPhone voice+data plan about $100/mo. I'm not saying that's too much, but since I currently don't have a data plan at all, it would be quite a change in how much I budget for my phone use. Hmm.

Asar

macrumors regular
May 29, 2006
if its over $20 a month for data, i wont get a data plan, just text. $34 a month for edge? are they serious?

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!

No, I want to buy a 600 buck phone and be given the choice to pay the 45 a month (which I'll choose not to). Just the minutes and voice mail please, how does that go, oh yes, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

rishio

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2003

That's a pretty dumb thing to say. I easily have a $600 budget for the iPhone, but why would I waste money on a data plan when 90% of my time is spent inside a wifi zone. I'd rather pay for more calling minutes over having a data plan.

I couldn't care less about 3G and Edge. The only place I could use those is when I drive and I'm not going to browse the web while I drive.

The only thing useful for me is a calling plan + SMS. Hope this is available around $60/month.

terrrrrible

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2007
As long as I'll be able to add the iPhone to my family plan I'm currently on, $45/mo for data is fine with me.

ostimu

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
$20 more

So, that's $10-$20 more than my current Cingular plan for my Treo, which includes unlimited MediaNet (allows Internet & email, although I don't know if they even officially offer that anymore). I currently pay $25/month for data, plus another $5/month for 200 text messages. My total bill now, with 450 minutes plus 5000 night/weekend, plus rollover, is $81 with taxes.

If I end up paying $35 a month instead of $25 for data, and it includes ANY text messages at that rate so I can avoid that $5/month I'm currently paying, that makes it only a $5/month difference. Even at $45/month for data, if it includes considerable text messages (since they'll be needed, since there's no iChat) -- that's not the end of the world. I might just squeak in under $100.

And yes, I know that comparable / better carriers are cheaper, but I'm already with Cingular -- whom I joined a few years ago when they had the Treo as an exclusive -- and I'm used to being gouged.

NathanHurst

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
KY
What the AT&T guy said.

I was just at a AT&T store. the manager told me that tomorrow (6/26) certain employees would receive training and after would have details reguarding the data plan. He seemed tho think that in two days (6/27) he would have answers. But, He hinted at the numbers given. "Similar to the black berry", He said.

ajhill

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2007
CNBC was wrong

CNBC said the voice/data plans would be over a $100/month,

My current voice plan is $40, if I add a $35 data plan doesn't that make it 75/month? Well below the "FACT" reported my CNBC. Even a $45 data plan only brings the total to $85/month. Still well short of CNBC's sensationalist "over $100/month"

You know the end is near when the "News Networks" are no more accurate than the rumor blogs...

Come on guys

jmerchlinsky

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
Washington DC
Forget the data plan

Hopefully you will not be required to have a data plan. I don't have one now, so I won't miss it. I on an old $30 Cingular voice plan that gives me all the minutes I need. I want to use my iPhone to make calls, listen to music, and to access the internet over WiFi. I've got WiFi at home, and at work. Who needs a data plan!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.