Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Padriac

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I'm surprised at how many people are happy with this (if it's true).

I pay $10 a month for unlimited EVDO with Sprint.

I know there are people who can afford it, but for a mass market appeal, $35 for unlimited EDGE is too high IMO.

And a new Sprint coustomer could get unlimited EVDO for $10 a month? (no).

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
wow almost 100 bucks a month after the huge taxes with the minimum voice plan of 39.99. Many people will probably have to pay around $120 since theyll need more minutes. I guess we wont be seeing many kids and college students with an iphone.

Or middle-class Americans for that matter.

Padriac

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
What were you ballparking before this (voice+data)? It seems there a lot of people posting with cut rate and grandfather'd contracts that are great prices but not available for new people...

EXACTLY. For anybody who doesn't have an existing data plan, all the carriers pricing is pretty much exactly the same: $40 for unlimited data.

germ war

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2003
Saint Paul, MN
$45/mo. for data? Seriously?

My Blackberry plan with T-Mobile is $59.99 for 1000 anytime minutes + unlimited data & unlimited text messaging.

I wasn't planning on switching anytime soon (too much time left on my contract, plus I'm relatively happy with T-Mobile), but man...paying a premium for the phone AND a premium for what is essentially the same service (I'm on EDGE, too) seems like an awful lot of people will be bending over and taking it for the privilege to use this device.

None for me, thanks.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
No, it's $15 for new customers. Is that better?

When did you start up with Sprint?

But since they do not have the iPhone it seems like a moot point though.. as I mentioned before, I am switch from tmobile for about $15-20 more per month that to me is going to be worth every penny if the iphone performs as shown.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Where is this on their Website? I see nothing but $40 data plans.

Those are for laptop cards, or if you want to tether your phone to a laptop. For Treos it's $15. Add a plan, select a treo, and the next step will be to select a data plan for the treo.

RnSK

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2004
Or middle-class Americans for that matter.

Wow.

I guess middle class americans don't eat out once a month, buy fast food, go to movies, buy or rent music and videos, buy video games...watch cable...have dsl or cablemodems...

They just go to work, come home, plop it on the couch, watch free OTA tv and watch the grass grow on the weekends...huh?
:rolleyes:

dcwckd

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
I'm really not able to comprehend some peoples logic around here. Apple wants this phone in the hands of every american in the country, just like the iPod.

A voice + data plan of $34 - $44 dollars a month, will achieve this goal. Get over it people.

smccostlin

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
San Jose, CA
This is crazy...

Everyone seems to be talking about the same thing one way or the other... I thinks that people have a good reason to wonder why the data plan shall be 35 to 45 dollars a month tacked onto the voice plan... I am on a family plan that is already costing about 100 a month including all the taxes, so to add on 45 more to that is going to be a very big decision for me. I am a college student, but I love technology, so for me, it is a decision between the coolest phone on earth, or being able to get groceries at the store... Haha, yes a bit dramatic, but most college students are not going to be able to swing the hefty data prices. We will see what happens in three days. We will see the real data plan pricing then... :apple:

Padriac

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Those are for laptop cards, or if you want to tether your phone to a laptop. For Treos it's $15. Add a plan, select a treo, and the next step will be to select a data plan for the treo.

I can't get Sprint's website to let me past the "phone selection" stage. After picking a voice plan, I get stuck looking at a picture of a Katana. I can't select other phones or move on to the next step (services). Is Sprint's website not compatible with Safari or something?

This isn't exactly instilling my confidence in their technical ability...

bsgx

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
I don't get it...

I see everyone complaining about pricing, but I am paying $100 a month now for a POS Blackjack, so why wouldn't I pay $100-120 for the iPhone?

Two things:

1. You guys seriously underestimate the amount of wealthy people in this country, or, those who are not wealthy but will pay for cool factor.

And

2. No one said people would pay $499 for a 4gb music player either, but I had an original, and a year later so did millions of other people.

desimus

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2007
we could only wish...

I'm really not able to comprehend some peoples logic around here. Apple wants this phone in the hands of every american in the country, just like the iPod.

A voice + data plan of $34 - $44 dollars a month, will achieve this goal. Get over it people.

It's not a "voice + data plan" of $34-$44 a month... that's just for the data.

It's going to be a little more than I pay now with Alltel with a crummy data packet so the upgrade won't be that much more painful. I'm not happy about it...but folks lets just put this out there: having these things is a "luxury" It's not neccessary to have the latest and greatest technological device but if we must have it...we must pay a premium...this includes the data/voice plan. I still know people who have a cell phone at the bare bones prices for only emergencies.

And I'm off my soap box.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Is it not likely they're not announcing new pricing details, because it's just a new phone on an existing network, with existing plans, and existing offerings?

It's likely if there is an "iPlan" then it's the same as you could get normally, with a fancy name to simplify the signup, and probably doesn't warrant so much fevered discussion.

RnSK

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2004
Look around...

Makes total sense. Verizon probably **** the bed when Apple asked them to reduce their rates.

Also, why the hell else would Cingular NOT subsidize the phone?

Because they don't *have to* silly :)

Again...you know, I'm not rich...but I'm not broke, either...you know what i'm sayin'?

I mean...its $500 or $600 for a phone...people had 6 months to scrimp and save to work that out.

if your average mobile bill is $40/month...you find $30. If you are living that close to the edge where $30-$40 is a *deal breaker*...if you might have to live outside or skip meals, then, well, you are living above your means...a serious problem in America as it is.

I mean think about it. About 4 $10 bills more. 4 albums on the iTMS. 4 days of carry out lunch, or two dinners of chinese...two fridays of Pizza Night specials.

Less than a tank of gas (chuckle).

You smoke...about 10 packs of smokes. Or a two month ration of ramen.

I mean COME ON PEOPLE. If you are that close to hardship, you shouldn't even HAVE a freakin' mobile...you should be saving your money!

Thats what we're talking here for most people that have phone typical phone service already (I happen to have more than that, but that's me)...4 $10 bills more out of the crap you blow money on every month.

*shakes head*

You should just walk away if you're THAT hard up. Seriously.

CHROMEDOME

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2005
Bay Area/LA

On Sprint's SERO plan you can get 500 mins, unlimited EV-DO, unlimited texts and other stuff for $30 a month.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
I mean COME ON PEOPLE. If you are that close to hardship, you shouldn't even HAVE a freakin' mobile...you should be saving your money!

It's not so much about affording it. It's about is it worth it. For me it's not really. I have access to wifi most of the time. So for those few days a month when I don't have wifi, the EDGE would be nice, but not nice enough to spend $35.

Maybe they will still let us do the payperKb style. That would be nice.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
EXACTLY. For anybody who doesn't have an existing data plan, all the carriers pricing is pretty much exactly the same: $40 for unlimited data.

T-Mobile is $20. There's a $6 T-Zones plan that does allow full network access with mixed results. Sprint, as others have stated is $15. Verizon is probably a rip off like everything else with them. $40 for unlimited data, especially with EDGE, is expensive.

I have T-Mo's $20 data plan and wouldn't pay any more than that since it's only EDGE. $40 for something that's only slightly better than dial up (and worse than dial up if you're not in an EDGE coverage area) is just too much.

bsgx

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
Because they don't *have to* silly :)

Again...you know, I'm not rich...but I'm not broke, either...you know what i'm sayin'?

I mean...its $500 or $600 for a phone...people had 6 months to scrimp and save to work that out.

if your average mobile bill is $40/month...you find $30. If you are living that close to the edge where $30-$40 is a *deal breaker*...if you might have to live outside or skip meals, then, well, you are living above your means...a serious problem in America as it is.

I mean think about it. About 4 $10 bills more. 4 albums on the iTMS. 4 days of carry out lunch, or two dinners of chinese...two fridays of Pizza Night specials.

Less than a tank of gas (chuckle).

You smoke...about 10 packs of smokes. Or a two month ration of ramen.

Thats what we're talking here for most people that have phone typical phone service already (I happen to have more than that, but that's me)...4 $10 bills more out of the crap you blow money on every month.

*shakes head*

You should just walk away if you're THAT hard up. Seriously.

POST OF THE FREAKING DAY!!!!!! :) :)

Bottom line, people will always complain about something. "Why isn't it $100 for the phone?" "The plan better not be more than $3 a month or I'm not getting it."

Newsflash people, the plan could be $200 a month and they would still sell a million of them. I have overheard conversations for the past week by people who can't even plug in a USB cord, and they are planning on buying the iPhone.

Get ready!! :apple:

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia

One AT&T spokesperson had claimed that they would be releasing voice and data plans prior to the Friday launch...

The launch is 6:00 PM Friday. That time is local, so "prior to the Friday launch" could include as late at 5:50 PM EDT. I honestly wouldn't put it past them.

I'm hoping that since they will require a data plan, that they do an 'iPlan' that is just one single charge for voice and data, including unlimited messaging. While I basically never do any SMSing, it would feel "anti-Apple" to do anything other than unlimited. Unlimited voice would be nice, too, but not as important, since most plans include plenty of minutes for most people.

What I would like to see, though, is $99 (or less, of course,) a month for unlimited everything. If they split it all up, and don't have unlimited on any individual item, then the 'base' usable plan should be no more expensive than $59 a month. (i.e. 2000 minutes, 100 MB, and 2000 SMS.) And the base rate should actually be usable. No piddly 200 minute, 10 MB, 100 SMS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.