Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ziggy29

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
Oregon North Coast
Needs Leopard :)
Yeah, I was going to add that as a PS. I suppose the ultimate would get it to run Leopard, and I know it has been done, but I don't think the pain-to-performance threshold is worth it for me at the moment! I've read about the steps to do it, and wow. Given that Tiger is usable but marginal, I'd imagine the performance on Leopard would be approaching awful.

Note that this "About" window only says "1 GB" and nothing else -- nothing about memory type or speed. OS X was never designed to boot these old things, so the utility has no idea what the hell 70ns RAM is! It only knows that some kind of RAM is there.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Power Mac G5 running beta 6 of the Tiger Sierra Theme. Using @redheeler's MacOSX.tif, as usual.
Picture 1.png

Reactions: redheeler

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Yeah, I'm sure if a 7600 needs Leopard, a G5 sure does. :) But I simply see no point in Leopard. At this point I prefer TFF over WebKit/Roccat, and there's really no other reason I need Leopard. So I picked the fast OS. :)

redheeler

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I think it's that I'm running Tiger, and @LightBulbFun runs Leopard on even the lowest-spec machines it will run on. :)
It's one thing to run a newer unsupported OS like Leopard on a Power Macintosh 7600 or El Capitan on a 2006 Mac Pro, upgrading/modernizing this decade-old hardware in a way that Apple doesn't even want to make possible, but everyone knows Leopard will run fine on a Power Mac G5, so what's the fun in that? Just go with what works best for you. :)
[doublepost=1492915162][/doublepost]Here is Mac OS X Jaguar running on one of my Power Mac G5s, similar specs to Henry's above:
10.2.8 on G5.png

The Tiger and Leopard partitions are in fact empty, only Jaguar and Panther are installed. I do intend to install Leopard on it at some point.

Edit: Jaguar was the OS where Aqua was probably at its best. Very nice GUI.

Last edited:

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Nice to see someone else running Jag on a G5, it runs stupid fast :) Iv done it with my PowerMac7,3 2Ghz (that machine has Regular 970s, a higher clocked machine like my 2.7 has 970FXs i need to figure out how to patch the kernel to allow it to boot on those)

no ones guessed right btw :)

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Nice to see someone else running Jag on a G5, it runs stupid fast :) Iv done it with my PowerMac7,3 2Ghz (that machine has Regular 970s, a higher clocked machine like my 2.7 has 970FXs i need to figure out how to patch the kernel to allow it to boot on those)

no ones guessed right btw :)
I'd like to try it at some point.

I've got no more guesses.
[doublepost=1492949693][/doublepost]Lack of iTunes 9?

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
ill let others have a go at guessing what it is first before i reveal it :)

@redheeler speaking of your G5 i noticed your serial number G841337F-NVB , it made me LOL :) (I feel like iv seen this machine before...)

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Note the rounded corners on the menu bar
That's a thing with Tiger, the menu bar has been like that on every computer I've ever installed Tiger on. :)
Bootrom isn't up to date? My G5 says 5.2.4f1 is the latest. Meanwhile, Henry only has 5.0.7f0
Any benefits of updating it? If so, how would I do that?

Also, note that this is the 2003 version, but with identical specs to a 2005 version. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.