Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
On a good day in Phuket

After many bad days at 2 - 5% of the advertised speed, this morning sees me getting approaching half of what I the Communications Authority of Thailand say I can get. I guess it is not strictly speaking false advertising to state up to 7.2 MB/sec if they manage to deliver 50% on the odd occasion. But it is not the whole truth.

Landline or mobile based, 1-2 MB/sec is a good for Phuket.... this is exceptional

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-09 at 7.09.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-09 at 7.09.44 AM.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 767
Last edited:

lysol

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
Just a random speed test I did a few minutes ago after reconfiguring my home router.

Wifi connection speed to my router over "Wireless N" is 144Mbps. So this is pretty much the fastest I can get at home.

And work (much slower but more responsive than at home):

Last edited:

Bryanpog

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Time warner "turbo" Milwaukee WI

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365388137.798670.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365388137.798670.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 90

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
After 10 minutes or more, this is as far as the test got this morning. The joy of living in a developing country on an island that elected only members of the opposition in the last general election.

I gave up trying to do anything on line last night.... looks like I might as well write today off as well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-17 at 9.19.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-17 at 9.19.16 AM.png
    104.4 KB · Views: 82

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Yeah, it's a massive upgrade from what I was getting. HD movies from iTunes download while I make a coffee. It's insane.

I live in Hong Kong right now and have gigabit Internet also (post back a few pages), but the ISPs here seem to not allow fast multiple concurrent downloads from the same stream source. So, for example, I can download updates from Apple servers as fast as they can go, but if I was to torrent say, Ubuntu, it would max out at 10MBs because they cap it. Very annoying, as I use the bit torrent protocol for my file sync, and internally in my company for fast/available sharing. Blah blah- have you seen anything similar? I'd love to see some actual download real works numbers and not just speed tests!

mr.suff

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2006
Leeds
I live in Hong Kong right now and have gigabit Internet also (post back a few pages), but the ISPs here seem to not allow fast multiple concurrent downloads from the same stream source. So, for example, I can download updates from Apple servers as fast as they can go, but if I was to torrent say, Ubuntu, it would max out at 10MBs because they cap it. Very annoying, as I use the bit torrent protocol for my file sync, and internally in my company for fast/available sharing. Blah blah- have you seen anything similar? I'd love to see some actual download real works numbers and not just speed tests!

I haven't seen anything like that. Most of the files I download come from sources that would struggle to provide me >10MBs anyway.

As a test I can say that I have just tried a torrent for Ubuntu, it's averaging 10MBs, highest was 12.5. Only connected to 40 peers, I have new torrents set-up to connect to up-to 3000, so it's not limited there. It grabbed the file in about a minute.

Renstar

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2013
After upgrading my speed my ping increased on several games I played. Go figure right? Gotta love comcast....

2675623632.png

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I haven't seen anything like that. Most of the files I download come from sources that would struggle to provide me >10MBs anyway.

As a test I can say that I have just tried a torrent for Ubuntu, it's averaging 10MBs, highest was 12.5. Only connected to 40 peers, I have new torrents set-up to connect to up-to 3000, so it's not limited there. It grabbed the file in about a minute.

Ok I guess that mirrors basically what I see here then - for direct connections where the servers can handle it I max whatever they have out (from what I can see), it's just the P2P that is a bit cumbersome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.