Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sickminecraft45

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2022
Hi, I need help with my Power Mac G5! I tried to make a bootable USB for Leopard but when I go into the boot selector, the drive doesn't come up, when I try to launch the installer from Mac OS X, it just reboots into the OS, and when I try to boot into it from open firmware, it just shows the prohibited sign. What can I do!

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Hi, I need help with my Power Mac G5! I tried to make a bootable USB for Leopard but when I go into the boot selector, the drive doesn't come up, when I try to launch the installer from Mac OS X, it just reboots into the OS, and when I try to boot into it from open firmware, it just shows the prohibited sign. What can I do!
On PowerPC Macs USB booting only works from openfirmware, it wouldn't show up in the boot picker.

But it looks like you did attempt to use openfirmware. From personal experience, USB booting Mac OS X on PPC Macs is iffy. I've had it work once or twice but normally I am greeted by the same prohibited sign you are seeing. If you do not have access to a FireWire drive to use, I would recommend burning a DVD and booting off that.

Sickminecraft45

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2022
On PowerPC Macs USB booting only works from openfirmware, it wouldn't show up in the boot picker.

But it looks like you did attempt to use openfirmware. From personal experience, USB booting Mac OS X on PPC Macs is iffy. I've had it work once or twice but normally I am greeted by the same prohibited sign you are seeing. If you do not have access to a FireWire drive to use, I would recommend burning a DVD and booting off that.
I do have some dual-layer DVDs but the mac doesn't detect the blank DVD and when I try to eject the blank DVD, the mac refreshes the screen and closes all apps!

Sickminecraft45

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2022
Now I have a different problem! when I type in boot ud:,\\:tbxi instead of coming up the prohibited sigh, open firmware refuses to detect the USB!

Sickminecraft45

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2022
What I mean is: what method did you use to make a bootable USB? Did you use a third-party copying application, or did you use the scan/restore function in Apple’s Disk Utility (from another Mac, ostensibly) to copy the image over to the USB drive?
I used disk utility to restore the image to the USB on the same mac as I have 10.3.0 Panther installed on it.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I used disk utility to restore the image to the USB on the same mac as I have 10.3.0 Panther installed on it.
You can get the 'minimal' Leopard here (download 36) - it fits on a single layer DVD:

Or try using a different USB stick - it's a common problem that some refuse to work.

The other, long way would be to reinstall Panther (assuming you have the install disks), splitting the HDD into two partitions with Disk Utility first, then once finished restore the Leopard dmg to the second partition and boot from that.

Sickminecraft45

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2022
You can get the 'minimal' Leopard here (download 36) - it fits on a single layer DVD:

Or try using a different USB stick - it's a common problem that some refuse to work.

The other, long way would be to reinstall Panther (assuming you have the install disks), splitting the HDD into two partitions with Disk Utility first, then once finished restore the Leopard dmg to the second partition and boot from that.
I'll give the third option a try as I have Panther burned on 3 CDs! I hope it works! I paid $20 AUD for my Power Mac G5 at my local thrift store! It was very dirty and I gave it a good clean! It is the upgraded 2003 version with dual 2 GHz G5 CPUs and it has dual 160GB HDDs and 4GB of RAM. When I got it it had the flashing folder icon because the HDD was blank.

Reactions: B S Magnet

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I'll give the third option a try as I have Panther burned on 3 CDs! I hope it works! I paid $20 AUD for my Power Mac G5 at my local thrift store! It was very dirty and I gave it a good clean! It is the upgraded 2003 version with dual 2 GHz G5 CPUs and it has dual 160GB HDDs and 4GB of RAM. When I got it it had the flashing folder icon because the HDD was blank.
Sounds like you got a great deal!

If you have two HDDs why not restore Leopard to that 2nd drive?

Sickminecraft45

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2022
Sounds like you got a great deal!

If you have two HDDs why not restore Leopard to that 2nd drive?
I booted up the Panther CD and I split the HDD into two partitions. I installed Panther on one and restored the Leopard image on the other but the Leopard partition doesn't show up in the boot selector!

EDIT: I am finally on the Leopard installer! All I had to do was to boot into the Leopard partition through the boot selector in system preferences!

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
I booted up the Panther CD and I split the HDD into two partitions. I installed Panther on one and restored the Leopard image on the other but the Leopard partition doesn't show up in the boot selector!

EDIT: I am finally on the Leopard installer! All I had to do was to boot into the Leopard partition through the boot selector in system preferences!
Winner winner chicken dinner. Great job :) Also, very nice score. I have the same machine. It lives happily out on my garage bench serving up occasional games for the kiddos amongst other things. If you are ever interested in linux, @wicknix put together Lubuntu remix 16.04 and runs great on these PMG5s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.