PowerBook Edu Discounts

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Several readers have noted a special education discount on current Titanium PowerBooks. Readers received the following in an email:

"And for a limited time, you can save up to $380* off the retail price of a PowerBook G4 -- this includes up to an additional $150 savings on top of the regular Apple Store for Education Individuals discount. Act now, this special back-to-school offer expires September 25, 2002."

Several readers have suggested that this may hint towards upcoming revisions, however, there is no further indication that the PowerBook G4 will be updated this soon. In fact, the only evidence is to the contrary... with PowerBook rumors for January.

gaomay

macrumors regular
May 28, 2002
Scotland, UK
I hope so.......

I should be getting a new powerbook soon (next 1-2 weeks) and I don't know whether to wait for the next revision - any advice? I guess there's always gonna be something greater round the corner but I'd be pretty annoyed if I bought one and a revision came out two weeks later.

Who

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
I'm also waiting to purchase a G4 powerbook, probably next month before fall term starts up, but maybe I'll wait until after MacWorld SF.

I remember getting the G3 Wallstreet just a month before Apple upgraded the product line. Not going to make that mistake again.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
If you need the powerbook now, I'd say go ahead... there's no indication of new Powerbooks real soon...

Jan is 5 months away

arn

Nonosse

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2002
The Hague, NL
In the last months, Apple was pushing to sell Quiksilver G4, with special offers (like, taking your old PowerMac for $200 to $400 discount, etc...). The offers stopped around end of July.

The new G4, finally providing more power than the iMac, were released soon afterwards.

Couldn't we expect the same to happen with PBooks, especially when you realize that they are now much less powerful than the new G4 ?
Apple has always been proud to offer laptop computers which can be as good as the desktop computers, and that's not like it anymore - talking about chip performances, the current PBooks are not much better than the iBooks and iMacs.

My conclusion: i would tend to believe new machines are "around the corner", and Apple wants to get rid of the stock.
Maybe they just got afraid by how hard it was to get rid of the former G4, which certainly helped in postponing the release of the new G4 this month, and they start special offers earlier ?

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Hmmm... looks like I might just get a new powerbook sooner than I thought...

Hey! it's my 400th post! woohoo. 100 more to go!

Postal

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2002
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Even if the rumour about MWSF isn't true, the last update to the PowerBooks was done in late April; if you go with the "6 months rule" (where Apple always updates a system in those intervals) you're looking at October as the earliest update opportunity. If you'd rather have your PowerBook for the start of the fall term, get it now!

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
This discounts are good, but they sond like am edu push to me. Apple was moving pretty heavily into grade and high schools a few months ago with the Book pushes, so now they are going for undergrad. College can be about image, so a TiBook couldn't hurt.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by drastik
This discounts are good, but they sond like am edu push to me. Apple was moving pretty heavily into grade and high schools a few months ago with the Book pushes, so now they are going for undergrad. College can be about image, so a TiBook couldn't hurt.
true. but it's the end of the rebate that puzzles me... i mean, sept 25 or whatever is pretty late. most schools start well before then. either end of august or early september. some start that late, but it just seems like if they wanted to push it, they'd have pushed it from like july-mid august or something...

Dave K

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2002
i mean, sept 25 or whatever is pretty late. most schools start well before then. either end of august or early september. some start that late, but it just seems like if they wanted to push it, they'd have pushed it from like july-mid august or something...
Consider the following: How many undergrads get access to their student loans in July or early August?

Nonosse

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2002
The Hague, NL
Originally posted by Dave K

Consider the following: How many undergrads get access to their student loans in July or early August?
Yep. And you also have to let the "inner advertising" work: "wow, your laptop is great / is nice / works great / whatever", for all the students who basically didn't plan to buy something new.

It would be worse (for Apple's sells) to have somebody thinking "Jeez, my mate's laptop is nice, i wish i had bought one also, but i was still in holidays by this time... :(".

A.

makkystyle

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2002
too early to tell

you've got a little over a month till these rebates end. If after the first week in January there haven' t any leaks or some kind of substantiated claims, other than the end of the rebate I think it's pretty safe to bet there won' tbe any updates. I mean by the beginning of august, we knew there would be some kind of update to the PM, we just didn't know what kind. My suggestion is wait till about the second week of September then decide on buying. it's only about three weeks to wait and could save you from being really pissed off five weeks from now.

Dave K

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

ha. not sure if you're supporting my theory or refuting it....
Well, just from my experience in Canada at least, Students can't get access to their loan paperwork until about a week before school starts...

Then they've gotta run it through the bank, which takes 2-3. business days...

Finally, all through the lead-up weeks, you've got the banks set up in the lobbies of every school handing out credit cards like chocolate bars to anyone who can spell their own name...

Which means that offering an educational discount on an item in july-august when your average student most likely won't have the cash to buy until late Aug/early Sept. would be kinda counter productive...

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i see your point..

but there's also high school students and such. who aren't really going on school loans usually.

but i guess that makes sense... either way, it's a decent time to buy educational laptops. just wish i had the cash/need.... word

onemoof

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
i see your point..

but there's also high school students and such. who aren't really going on school loans usually.

Only college students can buy education discounted Macs. K-12 are out of luck unless they're faculty or institutional purchases.

FelixDerKater

Contributor
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
Thanks Apple... Ha!

Once again it seems that Apple is going to screw over student buyers. Sell out the last of the stock of TiBooks to students buying for college computer requirement and then release an update that they would have loved to have, but couldn't wait for. Apple has no mercy. Same happened to me last year when I had to buy a computer by late August and the a few weeks later Apple releases a TiBook with a reasonable video card and faster overall performance.

Many Thanks Apple! :mad:

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Re: I hope so.......

Originally posted by gaomay
I should be getting a new powerbook soon (next 1-2 weeks) and I don't know whether to wait for the next revision - any advice? I guess there's always gonna be something greater round the corner but I'd be pretty annoyed if I bought one and a revision came out two weeks later.
I use a Ti-400 and it is plenty fast for everything so the increased speed of any speed bump you might see over 667-800 will be of minimal benefit. Even the bus increase from 100-133 did not help my 800 toting friends very much.

My machine needs more drive space however.

The Ti is a full fledged desktop replacement unless your job requires PCI cards.

Looking forward to 802.11g Airport cards.

One thing I like about the older Ti vs new is the VGA connector. Compatible with everything.

If they would addon a serial port all those old peripherals might even hook-up under classic.

I have not bought a dock device but it might make sense if you have alot of hookups.

Apple! Airport is cool, now make one for the power cord :)

Rocketman

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
FelixDerKater:

Uh, yeah perhaps you'd be happier if Apple never reduced prices and never updated their products?

Anyway, I sure hope Apple gets a faster PBook out because their current one's are (essentially) nothing more than iMacs in a different shape and costing 150%-200% as much. Actually slower video hardware than the widescreen iMac too.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Re: Thanks Apple... Ha!

Originally posted by FelixDerKater
Once again it seems that Apple is going to screw over student buyers. Sell out the last of the stock of TiBooks to students buying for college computer requirement and then release an update that they would have loved to have, but couldn't wait for. Apple has no mercy. Same happened to me last year when I had to buy a computer by late August and the a few weeks later Apple releases a TiBook with a reasonable video card and faster overall performance.

Many Thanks Apple! :mad:
Students, as a group, buy on price.

Professionals as a greoup buy on performance and perceived lifespan.

It makes sense except for those few students who simply buy the best, fastest computer on the planet. They will need the upcoming Dualie Powerbooks anyway.

Rocketman

:)

Blackcat

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2002
Cirencester, UK
Not MWSF...

Apple tends to update models every 5 or 6 months, even if it's only to stimulate sales. January is a long long way from April, and doesn't fit with the pattern unless no new Titanium is being introduced at all.

There have been quite a few signs of an update, not least Apple removing the powerbook image from the hardware page. Other clues include the current auto adapter promotion, and the recent ADC request for feedback on powerbooks (which can only be for marketing, not new designs).

I think we'll see new 1Ghz models on September 24th.

Gaz

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2002
London, UK
Hi,

This is only a thought but I would have to agree with the idea that Apple is just taking advantage of people heading back to school/college/whatever. From my experience most people don't actually buy their computers till they arrive and realise that having one would be pretty useful (if only for playing tunes on) hence the extended deadline.

I'm no expert but surely if there was going to be an upgrade to the line then the discount would be for everyone and not just the education sec?

Personally I just see it as Apple continuing its war with Dell over the educational sector and just using its brain.

In regards to people wanting 2 processor powerbooks; yeah the power would be nice but I think I'd prefer a machine that I could actually touch cause it wasn't too hot and that I could use as a portable because the processors didn't eat all the battery life.

The most useful additions to a Powerbook would easily have to be a higher resoultion screen (but not to the point that everything becomes too small to read) and probably blue tooth.

Anyway cheers

Gaz

Yosh

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
I just bought a new Powerbook about 4 weeks ago. I was initially going to buy a new tower, but decided to go with the powerbook b/c I was tired of the fan noise and wanted something small and portable. A dual GHz Cube would have been perfect, or even a headless iMac would have been cool. Instead, I spent about $6K for an 800 MHz Powerbook and Cinema Display.

I think the current Powerbooks have hit a very nice sweet spot in terms of performance and options vs. price. These TiBooks have matured and many of the past problems have been remedied - they run cooler thanks to the new version of the G4 processor, built in CD-RW/DVD rom that has a much better slot loading mechanism so disks do not get stuck, they are practically on par in terms of performance w/ desktop machines b/c they use the same processor w/ the 1MB L3 cache, they include a Radeon 7500 video card w/ 4x AGP, they support pretty much any type of display you want to connect to it from composite all the way up to DVI and ADC (w/ adapter).

I am very picky when it comes to things I purchase and am usually never satisfied. However, I am completely happy with my current Powerbook 800 + Cinema Display set up. It has EASILY replaced my desktop tower and I use the Powerbook for everything now. As a person who has never owned a laptop, the flexibility I've gained w/o giving up the performance of a desktop and having a VERY quiet machine is awesome! The ONLY thing I wish it had was a DVD-R drive.

With respect to the issue of having 2 processors, the vast majority of stuff one would do on a laptop requires only 1 processor and performance is not significantly improved with 2 processors. As others have mentioned, 2 processors will also adversely affect battery life and run reduce the usefulness of buying a portable machine in the first place.