Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tizza

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Assuming that we do get PB updates in the near future I'm cool with them staying with the G4 (better then putting a rushed, cut-down version of the G5 in that has all sorts of heat problems) but as I'm wanting the new 12'' I would certainly hope that as well as a speed-bump to > 1Ghz we will get:
- USB 2.0
- level3 cache
- (maybe) backlit keys
- NO PRICE RISE : )

If we get all that then I'll be happy!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I'm out of time. I need to buy a PowerBook and take delivery before school starts. If they don't announce something this coming week, I'll pick from available stock.

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Ritual Disembowelling?

I wonder how the CEO of Snotorola feels about making Steve Jobs look like a complete and utter pillock for his "year of the laptop comment"?

Does he smile on the inside remembering the powerpc licensing debacle.

Dammit, if Moto was a horse, you could at least shoot it.

Aciddan

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2002
Australia
Why Delay?

Sometimes the most obvious answer is the one we have written off as impossible:

It's gonna be a G5 powerbook :D

-- Dan, who hops back on his unicorn and flies away to the volcano of doom guarded by the dragons of eternity... :p

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
15" Aluminium PowerBook has to be just around the corner. Just a bit longer brothers and sisters. It's almost here...... it's almost here....... It's so close I can smell its 1.3 GHz G4 firing up......

theipodgod16

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2003
Berkeley, CA
obviously, Mr. Jobs has more than just speed bumps on his mind for this revision, but did anyone think that they just wanted to have a os 9 bootable powerbook on the line??:confused:

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
If around 1/3 of people are waiting for a new PowerBook, then that must have a huge impact on revenue. If a typical update cycle is 6 months, then they've effectively thrown out one iteration of the cycle. What I'm wondering is, how have they explained this to shareholders? "Yeah, we couldn't make a cool enough computer, so we just decided that we didn't need people's money" ?

Seriously, as if they couldn't have thrown a 1.25 GHz chip into a notebook, and either just made the case thicker, or marketted it as a luggable, not a laptop. A lot of people use notebook computers because they need something portable, not because they actually want it resting on their lap. PC companies capitalize on this by putting the faster desktop (not mobile) chip they can into a thick notebook, which has a 1 hour battery life. Why is that acceptable? Because they're only used on a desk, plugged in.

That's why not have a G5 notebook is idiotic. No matter how bad the cooling situation is, they could easily throw a 1.0, 1.4, or maybe even a 1.6 into a thicker case, and it would sell. Not doing so is a slap in the face of the shareholders, and the users.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by bikertwin
All these rumors about delayed PowerBooks worry me. I mean, if these units were designed to be shipped in May, does that mean they'll have 3-4 month old technology when they ship? DVD-recordable drives have made huge strides in the past two months (higher speeds, multiple formats), and widescreen high-resolution 15.4" screens (1680 x 1050 and 1920 x 1200) are even in Dells now. Here's hoping the new PowerBooks have stuff like that.

I was wondering that too. It better be a damn nice laptop with a damn nice screen... if not, I'll pay 1/2 the price of it for a faster PC laptop. If Apple made me wait this long and can't deliver the goods, they lost their sale to me.

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by theipodgod16
obviously, Mr. Jobs has more than just speed bumps on his mind for this revision, but did anyone think that they just wanted to have a os 9 bootable powerbook on the line??:confused:

It's not like there's a rule anywhere that there can only be three different pro notebooks. They could specifically market the old 15" model as being dual booting, and market another 15" as OS X only. With big words on the box. They could call it the "ClassicBook"...

Zuckuss

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2003
Chi-town
Originally posted by Doctor Q
I'm out of time. I need to buy a PowerBook and take delivery before school starts. If they don't announce something this coming week, I'll pick from available stock.

I'm afraid I'll be stuck without a computer at school as well. But I'm sticking in out (I've already waited all summer, a little longer can't hurt). My current plan is to cry myself to sleep each night as I imagine my shiny 15" Al p-book while my roomate clack away at his peecee.

hahaha...sniff.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
It looks like my trusty PowerBook G3 will be coming along with me for yet another semester at college. If the PowerBooks come out any later than the next week, it will be too late to get one until perhaps Christmas break. By the I will have the ability to order one with Panther preloaded. :)

Zuckuss

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2003
Chi-town
Originally posted by MarkCollette
[B

Seriously, as if they couldn't have thrown a 1.25 GHz chip into a notebook, and either just made the case thicker, or marketted it as a luggable, not a laptop. A lot of people use notebook computers because they need something portable, not because they actually want it resting on their lap. PC companies capitalize on this by putting the faster desktop (not mobile) chip they can into a thick notebook, which has a 1 hour battery life. Why is that acceptable? Because they're only used on a desk, plugged in.
[/B]

I strongly disagree. People that want a god-awful "luggable" are cubicle stiffs that work dreary desk jobs with the occasional boring holiday inn express stay. These 'business professionals' use peecees. Apple does not throw down a shoddy product that is a big, ugly, meltdown-hot "luggable" just to appease the blood-sniffing Wallstreet jerks. That is why we mac-heads love Apple and that is why you plod away on your dell p.o.s. Have fun "lugging" it around town while searching for ac power.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
It seems like Apple thought they would be getting the new G4s awhile ago. Maybe that's why they never updated the 15" to parity with the 12" and 17". When it didn't happen, they delayed, and delayed. No WWDC, no MacWor... I mean CreativePro (or whatever), hopefully Apple Expo at the latest. That's why the price drops, the bundles, the rebates. I doubt Apple is holding anything back, but that's what they get for counting on Moto.

I bet the new ones will me minor CPU updates (thanks Moto), feature parity, lower prices, probably better vid card, and we'll probably see them (or at least see them mentioned) around Sept. Hopefully with new xServes and/or iMacs. I'm sure Steve knows that he's missing the back-to-school opportunity and hoping they just buy 12"ers and iBooks.

I'm sure Arn is just sick of the many threads like this and wanted to beat the rush by posting over the weekend on the main page.

And you couldn't pay me to use a PC laptop.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
You can pay me to use a PC laptop...but then I'd take that money, along with the money I'd get trying to pawn it off on ebay and buy an iPod or something for my new 15" AlBook. :)

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Living vicariously through another person’s Mac until G5

Well you can increase the percentage to 32.90% because I ain’t touching a PowerBook until a G5 hits it. Moving from Windows to Mac requires moving the substantial software investment I have made which means virtual PC which in turn means the more horses under the hood the better.
I’m expecting great thing next spring. Dang. This is going to be the longest Fall and Winter of my life. A friend of mine just got himself a new iBook for school. It was delivered Friday. I was clamoring to have him bring it over and show it off. The freak ;) isn’t even going to open it until Monday because that’s when his iPod arrives and when he will transfer the info on his iMac over to his iBook. I swear I’m more excited about that thing then he is. It sucks having to live vicariously through another person’s Mac but if that’s what I have to do until a G5 shows up then that’s what I have to do.

PS-I can't let this ago anymore. I use a Dell Latitude (The only good dell model.) with Windows 2000 (The only good MS OS) and don’t crash EVER. Period. I’ve had this install for over a year nothing. Notta. Zip. If you know your way around Windows you can tweak it to make it stable, secure. The thing that most of my friend don’t get is that you shouldn’t NEED to tweak it to get it to that point. That is reason one why I’m switching. Reason two is the little thing that have been around in Windows since 95. Waiting for the file explorer to open because it’s spinning up the CD-ROM. Typing in a URL in explorer (I use firebird now) and having the floppy drive spin up. Having to wait for the retarded start menu to open after clicking start -> Programs…wating. Jumping from a wired network to wireless then back to wired and have windows get confused requiring a reboot. Little crap. And reason three. $@#*(* service packs!!! ARRGH!! I just upgraded 164 systems to SP3. (Can’t go to SP4 since it breaks internal apps we have in house. I’m so freaking sick of SPs!!
My point? Windows works. It may stick in your craw but there it is. 9x is a sucking pile of dog feces but 2K is an acceptably robust OS. I’m sorry but I see this blatant MS bashing day in and out on the site scattered through threads that I can’t avoid without having to skip interesting conversations altogether and it gets annoying after a while. I suppose it goes with the territory and isn’t totally unwarranted but still. *sighs and shakes head* I suppose this little rant won’t change anything but its therapeutic nonetheless. We now return you to your regularly scheduled bashing.
All things Micro$oft sucks.

dguisinger

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
Re: Living vicariously through another person’s Mac until G5

Originally posted by SiliconAddict
Well you can increase the percentage to 32.90% because I ain’t touching a PowerBook until a G5 hits it. Moving from Windows to Mac requires moving the substantial software investment I have made which means virtual PC which in turn means the more horses under the hood the better.
I’m expecting great thing next spring. Dang. This is going to be the longest Fall and Winter of my life. A friend of mine just got himself a new iBook for school. It was delivered Friday. I was clamoring to have him bring it over and show it off. The freak ;) isn’t even going to open it until Monday because that’s when his iPod arrives and when he will transfer the info on his iMac over to his iBook. I swear I’m more excited about that thing then he is. It sucks having to live vicariously through another person’s Mac but if that’s what I have to do until a G5 shows up then that’s what I have to do.

PS-I can't let this ago anymore. I use a Dell Latitude (The only good dell model.) with Windows 2000 (The only good MS OS) and don’t crash EVER. Period. I’ve had this install for over a year nothing. Notta. Zip. If you know your way around Windows you can tweak it to make it stable, secure. The thing that most of my friend don’t get is that you shouldn’t NEED to tweak it to get it to that point. That is reason one why I’m switching. Reason two is the little thing that have been around in Windows since 95. Waiting for the file explorer to open because it’s spinning up the CD-ROM. Typing in a URL in explorer (I use firebird now) and having the floppy drive spin up. Having to wait for the retarded start menu to open after clicking start -> Programs…wating. Jumping from a wired network to wireless then back to wired and have windows get confused requiring a reboot. Little crap. And reason three. $@#*(* service packs!!! ARRGH!! I just upgraded 164 systems to SP3. (Can’t go to SP4 since it breaks internal apps we have in house. I’m so freaking sick of SPs!!
My point? Windows works. It may stick in your craw but there it is. 9x is a sucking pile of dog feces but 2K is an acceptably robust OS. I’m sorry but I see this blatant MS bashing day in and out on the site scattered through threads that I can’t avoid without having to skip interesting conversations altogether and it gets annoying after a while. I suppose it goes with the territory and isn’t totally unwarranted but still. *sighs and shakes head* I suppose this little rant won’t change anything but its therapeutic nonetheless. We now return you to your regularly scheduled bashing.
All things Micro$oft sucks.

Um, clicking on the application folder on the doc takes several seconds to popup a menu of applications. Just because windows needs to lookup things on the hard drive doesnt mean the mac won't do a similar thing. Anything dealing with the hard drive can be inherently slow. There is a reason all of these things aren't cached in memory. It would slow startup, and your free memory would be down to zero.

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
Assuming that we do get PB updates in the near future I'm cool with them staying with the G4 (better then putting a rushed, cut-down version of the G5 in that has all sorts of heat problems) but as I'm wanting the new 12'' I would certainly hope that as well as a speed-bump to > 1Ghz we will get:
- USB 2.0
- level3 cache
- (maybe) backlit keys

I'm all for that.

Next 12" PowerBook is sure to have 1GHz G4. But I don't know about USB 2.0 and L3 Cache, even though that would be great. Backlit keys I don't care much about. No price increase I think is a possibility, unless they make 867MHz the lowend 12" PowerBook with slightly lower than current price and 1GHz slightly higher than current price.

vrapan

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
UK
- USB 2.0
- level3 cache
- (maybe) backlit keys

Nice stuff for the 12" but I don't think we will be getting L3 cache. The PB is hot enough with what it already has. Unless they get a much cooler HD (is that even possible) or the new moto is cooler I don't believe L3 is a realistic proposition.
What I would like to see is a bigger battery. Is it because of heat reasons that they did not include the battery of the iBook? I would like to see the 12" go over 4 hours - with 7B28 hits 3 - 3:30 with Jag around 2:30.

I can't let this ago anymore. I use a Dell Latitude (The only good dell model.) with Windows 2000 (The only good MS OS) and don’t crash EVER.

Dunno about the Dell but I would not disagree about Win2000. They are the most stable windows but there are problems with them. For one it is not a consumer product. There are several games that do not play on it and many devices that won't be happy with it either. I remember when I tried install them on a laptop I had that came with the ultimate anti-OS (WinME) it wouldn't recognise graphics card or win modem or ethernet or the internal floppy. I had to go to the labs find WinNT or experimental Win2000 drivers (not from the manufacturers who they clearly stated they did not support Win2000 for my hardware) in order to bring it back to a workable point. So Win2000 kills a huge advantage of Windows that they run on any configuration you have. It is defenitely not a "normal" windows version. I will agree though that they are much more stable than even WinXP although they did crash on me on occasions.

gadg

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2003
Amsterdam
Features on the new 12"

So here are a few things I could see happening in the new 12" Powerbooks ...

(a) Faster processor, hopefully >1GHz
(b) L3 cache
(c) Faster memory-/internal bus
(d) Larger harddrive
(e) More memory capacity
(f) Firewire 800
(g) USB 2.0
(h) Faster videocard, more videomemory
(i) PCMCIA expansion slot

I'm sure not all of these will happen, but hopefully a lot of them will. Curious what you guys think is likely to be updated.

vrapan

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
UK
Faster Proc 1GHz or a faster - maybe 1GHz in combo and 1.13 - 1.2 in SuperDrive

Would love to see standard 512MB (so it can go to 1GB with an extra 120$) but i think it is more reasonable to be 256MB in one chip and leave empty the expansion.

Faster video card - I dont think more memory though.

FW 800 is very possible

USB 2.0 very possible

PCMCIA does not fit in there

Larger HD. Maybe standard 60GB (is it my impression or is it the cheapest HD upgrade on ANY laptop - 40 to 60 only 50$??? Sony charges 150$ on their V505 and I think Dell 100$)

And I can only hope for the inclusion of an iBook capacity battery.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Originally posted by Jerry Spoon
I'm almost thinking we'll see an apple PDA before PowerBook updates ;)

Or the iPhone. ;)

Actually, I'm more interested in the revisions for early next year. Might have some cash then. Course, I might have some cash by the time THESE PowerBooks come out.

Squire

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I want a 12" or a 15" depending on these features:

12"
1Ghz G4/ 1meg L3 Cache
256megs of RAM/ 1280 max
40 - 80GB HDD BTO
64meg Gcard
USB2
FW 400 + 800
10/100/1000 Network card
DVI
2 mouse buttons BTO
Superdrive at x2 min BTO
4 hour battery

THIS is fully featured AND i would pay more for it.

15"
1.3Ghz G4/ 1 or 2 meg L3 Cache
256 or 512 as standard
60 - 80 GB HDD BTO
128meg Gcard
USB2
FW 400 + 800
10/100/1000 Network card
DVI
2 mouse buttons BTO
Superdrive BTO
4 hour battery

This could last me years until a G6 came out!

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
what about those rumors a couple of months back about apple having engineering problems with the AL 15" book? could those have actually been referring to delays with the new g4? or maybe apple's own problems delayed the new PB and then when they were ready moto droped the ball.

i guess it doesn't matter, people still want them now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.