Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

PowerBooks in Paris?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
AppleInsider updates with claims that PowerPC 7457 processors are finally in good supply and that PowerBook G4s will ("positively confirmed") arrive at Apple Expo Paris which should bring the 15" model to 1.25GHz with USB 2.0, Firewire 800 and side ports.

12" and 17" Model updates are possible, but less certain, according to the rumor site.

A few recent Page 2 rumors have recently surfaced offering their own details about potential PowerBook upgrades -- with dissenting reports about potential PowerBook releases in Paris

The full collection of PowerBook Rumors are available on our archive page.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I sure hope we see powerbooks at Paris... It would be silly to update the 15'' to make it faster than the 17'', though... I cant imagine they updating one without the other.

Comment

hs-l

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
and the 12"?? I'll be there in Paris,..
but i'm waiting for the new "thinner" 12"

I really hope that one gets updated too!!

HS-L

Comment

asphalt-proof

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2003
Magrathea
We'll see!!

I guess I was secretly hoping for a G5 with the idea of the por line being g5 and the consumer line being G4. If not, I'll still buy one. Hopefully this will pan out.

Hey, maybe this is part of Steve's Reality Distortion Field! This is supposed to be the Year of the Laptop. Maybe he's highlighting the inherent uncertainty of making global statements. Or is this too post-modern? :D

Seriously something must being going very wrong for there to be this long a lag between updates. For what, a speed bump and light-up keyboard? A a reasonably intelligent chimp with an Etch-Sketch and a Lightbright could have knock together this over the weekend.

Comment

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Ugh. Wouldn’t Apple HAVE to update the 17” since its their top of the line? Then again the 15” is the sweet spot of laptops right now and it does look like they have to pick and choose where to put these new chips sparingly
Please don’t hurt me for saying this ;)
It wouldn’t be all that difficult to imagine them holding off on the 17” PB until spring and going straight to G5’s on the 17” and 15”.

Comment

QuiteSure

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2002
I am skeptical of the PB update rumors for MW Paris. I just don't see Steve Jobs making a major product announcement while his major target buyers -- US consumers -- are asleep.

Comment

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Dual G4 PB, PB in Paris, Motorolla can't deliver the processors, Apple have to use 1.25GHz instead.

Rumour sites just haven't a clue, really.

These aren't rumours, a pure guessing game!! :)

Comment

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Re: We'll see!!

Originally posted by asphalt-proof
Seriously something must being going very wrong for there to be this long a lag between updates. For what, a speed bump and light-up keyboard? A a reasonably intelligent chimp with an Etch-Sketch and a Lightbright could have knock together this over the weekend.

Ya its called Moto.

Comment

hobbes3113

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by Photorun
Yaaawwwwn.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Next?!?

I can't agree more. I think it's safe to say that nobody really knows what will happen in Paris. Well, except maybe Steve...

Comment

F/reW/re

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2001
Norway
If 1.25GHz is all, Apple better lower thoose prices! A notebook with 3GHz costs half the price of a 15" PowerBook!

Comment

chazmox

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Arn,

You reported earlier that G5 enabling SW was code-named with LOTR's characters.

From AppleInsider...

Upon arrival, the laptops will be met by Apple engineers who will update their system software to the recently finalized version of Mac OS X 10.2.7 Blackrider.

How significant is this???

Comment

beelzeben

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2003
Child of the world
QuiteSure
I am skeptical of the PB update rumors for MW Paris. I just don't see Steve Jobs making a major product announcement while his major target buyers -- US consumers -- are asleep.

Maybe showing more interest in the rest of the world would help lessen their dependency on the US.

Might be some good PR to do this in France especially considering recent events ;)

Comment

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Originally posted by F/reW/re
If 1.25GHz is all, Apple better lower thoose prices! A notebook with 3GHz costs half the price of a 15" PowerBook!

oh geez, don't get people started...

what use is comparing P4 to G4 on a PB update thread?

Comment

hmmm

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2003
UK, NL, USA
all models updated?

PBs are out of stock at good UK suppliers and I've heard that 'the new PBs will (should, maybe...) be announced on Monday' – here’s hoping, now I just hope they can deliver on time...

Comment

jocknerd

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2002
Virginia
Lower prices? Ha-ha!

Originally posted by F/reW/re

Apple doesn't care that their 15" PowerBook costs twice as much as an Intel based while running twice as slow. Apple only wants you to compare it to the previous version of the PowerBook. That way, they can justify the cost. Thats how they could justify the price increase on the PowerMacs with the introduction of the G5. Whereas the rest of the world has PC prices coming down, Apple raised theirs.

If the previous PowerMac ran a 867mhz processor and cost $2500 and the new one uses a 1.25ghz processor and costs the same, Apple expects you to see that its a good deal.
Nevermind that a Dell or Sony 15" with a 3ghz processor and the same specs could possibly be around $1999. Apple has tunnel vision. They never look outside their world. And it actually seems to be working for them. They are profitable. And only Dell can say that besides Apple.

Comment

Omek

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by chazmox
Arn,

You reported earlier that G5 enabling SW was code-named with LOTR's characters.

How significant is this???

Ya, I remember hearing that as well. I believe it even came from ThinkSecret. And they're usually dead on. Pllleeeeaassseee.... G5 G5.... :(

Comment

mmmbop

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2003
London
Originally posted by QuiteSure

Hey, the US will wake up to the great news that new laptops are available down at the mall. Have your breakfast and drive on down to pick one up right away.

We in Europe normally have to sweat out the day before the early evening Steve-o Show at MWSF and WWDC.

I think Apple updated their European online stores before the US store for last week's product updates. Is that a first? Ok, it was close, but we're only talking minutes/hours here.

It's all dollars to Apple, at the end of the day.

MARK

edit: the iMac/iPod updates were this week, right? I'm on holiday and have lost all concept of time...

Comment

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
How very self centred.
:)

Comment

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002

The vast majority of his target consumers don't even watch the live keynote. Also, I think that international orders amount to about half of apple's sales. Apple expo Paris could be the right place to announce a new product. Otherwise, there really isn't much events left beside San-Francisco.

My 2 Cents.

Comment

justytylor

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2002
Washington, DC
Chazmox wondered if the codename of 10.2.7 Blackrider meant that the PBs would be G5s. As did Omek below:

Originally posted by Omek
Ya, I remember hearing that as well. I believe it even came from ThinkSecret. And they're usually dead on. Pllleeeeaassseee.... G5 G5.... :(

AFAIK:

10.2.7 Smeagol is 10.2.7 for G5s.
10.2.7 Blackrider is 10.2.7 for all other Macs.

Hope that helps.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.