Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
The Mac rumor scene has been quite active over the past few days, with rumors of significant hardware announcements coming at WWDC.

AppleTurns, however, provides a small blurb with some doubt regarding the possibility of PowerMac updates at WWDC:

Meanwhile, we're hearing the faintest rumblings that the Power Mac G5 may actually not be ready for a WWDC introduction after all. We're not putting a whole lot of stock in said rumblings just yet, but we mention them anyway for the cautious souls among you who choose to temper your enthusiasm with a hefty dose of skepticism.

While AppleTurns does not put much stock into these rumblings, this information is consistent with previous notes that Apple's PowerMac 970's were not far enough along to be able to provide shipping machines at WWDC. A recent eWeek report also suggests that Mac OS X 10.2.7 will not be ready for a month or so after WWDC -- pushing PowerMac 970's potential ship date into August, at the earliest.

PretendPCuser

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2001
Northern, NJ
Just as i thought

But could it all be deception? It's coming out, no it's not, it is, it's not, definitely, maybe, positively not.

OK nobody knows. Sooner rather than later would be fun!!

First? Third. Go me!!

unsane1

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2003
Guess they will just have to have another simple Apple Event of their own? Unless Schiller introduces them at MacWorld Create?

MetallicPenguin

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2003
NC, USA
Wait what if this is a trick of Apple's to get everyone mad and then surprise them...I would hope so, but that's false and they are not coming...NOOOOOO!!!!!!:(

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
attachment.php

Anybody up for talking about the possibility of the 7457 making a showing... :p

Really funny after all the -- "The machines are in production" -- type rumors.

zigi

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2003
Not that bad

I wouldn't mind if they weren't available immediately after WWDC, as long as they were announced or demo'ed. It would help build up hype outside of the Mac faithful community.

moosecat

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Geez, people. The article only mentions the "faintest rumblings" that the 970 won't be ready. Even the author, if you click on the link, is not ready to say that it won't be there.

Will it? I dunno. But this article is certainly not the end of the story.

synergy

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2002
This could be another case of the rumor sites hyping something that is not there. After WWDC the whiners will come out of the woodwork saying Apple let "them" down again.

Double edged sword the rumor sites are, but I love reading them.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
While AtAT is one of my favorite websites, I'm not necessarily trusting them with rumor accuracy. We'll still see an announcement at WWDC.

MetallicPenguin

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2003
NC, USA
If I can get a PowerBook G5, 15", before summers end, then I will be happy. But until this happens I am PowerBookless, and I am having one of those you-have-to-have-this times....

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Hmmm...

If I was Steve Jobs and I wanted to discredit Powermac 970 rumors I just might send some of my employees out to create "rumblings" that those rumors are false...

You know, if I was Steve...

MetallicPenguin

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2003
NC, USA
Wait where's the actual story I can't find it?! Maybe I just overlooked it...

Edit: nevermind it was just like two sentences in a paragraph wrapping up the rumors and talking abou AppleInsider's story thing.

MacHack

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2002
Chicagoland
Announcement - Yes!

From the Apple site regarding the upcoming WWDC:
Get an in-depth look at the future of the Mac platform and a preview release of the next major version of Mac OS X, codenamed "Panther", at Worldwide Developers Conference ...
...this is your opportunity to explore first-hand the next generation of technology innovations from Apple.

This sounds like they are going to announce, not release, future Hardware (970's) and Software (10.3). I hope it comes soon!!!

bertagert

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
The orginal quote should have also included these following sentences:

We're not putting a whole lot of stock in said rumblings just yet, but we mention them anyway for the cautious souls among you who choose to temper your enthusiasm with a hefty dose of skepticism. 'Nuff said.

So it looks like it's still up in the air. T minus 12 and counting.

Cross your fingers, light your incense, wiggle your nose...what ever it takes for more speed!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by pyrotoaster
While AtAT is one of my favorite websites, I'm not necessarily trusting them with rumor accuracy. We'll still see an announcement at WWDC.

I think more telling is the consistency with the other linked notes than their information by itself.

arn

robodweeb

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
Originally posted by mania
Well, I got this from Steve. He says it will be worth it.

Hmmm ... "worth it" to Steve or "worth it" to me? Given Apple's track record over the past couple of years - with regard solely to the relevance of Apple's products to *me*(i.e. they produce some interesting products, but nothing of interest or relevance to me) - I suspect it won't be the latter ...

<sigh>

ps does anyone else find it ironic ... and a bit disheartening ... to see Steve Jobs so focused on the audio equivalent of the "selling bottled sugar water" that he once chastised John Sculley about?

Steradian

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2002
San Jose
Hey this makes perfect sense...why is everyone so down? It's not like the 970 has been confirmed by apple...They said that they would get a look at panther...and they will...So...What's with the Dissapointment...

MetallicPenguin

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2003
NC, USA
The disappointment is there being no 970's! Apple hasn't let us down, we just got to up ahead of ourselves. But who knows, thye just said little rumblings, tons of people here said that they knew that there wouldn't be any, but maybe there will, who knows.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Well, look at the bright side. If the 970 doesn't debut at WWDC, it will be a great time to buy Apple stock on the cheap! :D :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.