PowerPC Web Browser Options + Poll

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AmazingHenry, Apr 22, 2017.

?

What Web Browser is Your Main/Default?

1. TenFourFox

57.9%
  2. Leopard-WebKit

36.8%
  3. Camino

2.6%
  4. Demeter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Stainless

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. TenFourKit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Roccat

2.6%
  8. OmniWeb

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Opera or iCab

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

I'm mainly making this thread to link in the new FAQ. :)

While some may not realize it, we actually have a pretty nice web browser selection on PowerPC. Most of them aren't fully up-to-date, but they work well for basic browsing. I'll make this a WikiPost so we can add to the list, but please only add web browsers that can be actually be used for basic browsing. I'd say Camino is the oldest/least usable browser that can make this list.

I'll also add that almost any WebKit browser, no matter the age, is OK as long as it can be relinked against LWK!

Leopard
    • TenFourFox - Build of new Firefox for PowerPC. Only up-to-date browser for 10.4.
    • Leopard-WebKit - Safari, but with the latest WebKit builds! Pages render just as they would in Safari 10.
    • Roccat - The 3rd of the only 3 browser kept up-to-date that support PowerPC. You need to relink it against Leopard-WebKit or else it will use the old WebKit builds used in Safari 5.
    • Demeter - Very fast web browser. Not fully out of development, so it can be buggy.
    • iCab - Versions that support Leopard and Tiger aren't the latest but they're not half bad.
    • Camino - Old (2012), but fast and good for basic browsing.
    • AuroraFox - Port of Firefox 20
    • SeaMonkey - Last updated in December 2013.
    • Stainless - Said to be pretty speedy and can relink against LWK.
    • Sunrise - Web browser for Web developers
    • Radon 1.5.1 Radon is a fast, lightweight web browser created exclusively for Mac. It includes a trim downed, efficient interface, downloads, bookmarks, and all the speed offered of WebKit.
    • Shira - Webkit browser that Demeter is based upon. Tabs at bottom with thumbnails.
    • Opera - Latest version is 10.63 but it's still surprisingly capable.
    Tiger
    • TenFourFox - Build of new Firefox for PowerPC. Only up-to-date browser for 10.4.
    • TenFourKit - Newer WebKit for Tiger. Outdated, but better than Safari 4.
    • OmniWeb - Not up-to-date, but works well. Possibly the best browser for lower end machines with Tiger, and 2nd best overall.
    • iCab - Versions that support Leopard and Tiger aren't the latest but they're not half bad.
    • Radon 1.0 - Radon is a fast, lightweight web browser created exclusively for Mac. It includes a trim downed, efficient interface, downloads, bookmarks, and all the speed offered of WebKit.
    Linux
    • Midori - Hasn't been updated in a while but it's very fast on older hardware.
    • FireFox - Latest version that supports Linux on PowerPC is 51 which is almost the same available on Intel systems. OS X PPC maxes out at 3.6.x
    If you can think of any good web browser for PowerPC, add them!

2. KawaiiAurora, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017

KawaiiAurora macrumors 6502

KawaiiAurora

Added some less well-known browsers and Midori of course ;) Just wondering, can OmniWeb be relinked against LWK? OmniWeb is a WebKit browser after all

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Added Sunrise.

Maybe someone wants to add Shira, which is what Demeter is based on and if Demeter is there Shira should be as well.

Also, if Roccat is there then Radon should be added.

4. pochopsp macrumors 6502

pochopsp

Instead of writing "requires leopard", "requires tiger", wouldn't it be better if we divide browser in two sections? Leopard with a list of leopard browsers and Tiger with a list of tiger browsers and so on...

5. amagichnich macrumors regular

amagichnich

Maybe something like this?

Leopard

• Leopard-WebKit - Safari, but with the latest WebKit builds! Pages render just as they would in Safari 10.
    • Roccat - The 3rd of the only 3 browser kept up-to-date that support PowerPC. You need to relink it against Leopard-WebKit or else it will use the old WebKit builds used in Safari 5.
    • Demeter - Very fast web browser. Not fully out of development, so it can be buggy.
    • AuroraFox - Port of Firefox 20
    • SeaMonkey - Last updated in December 2013.
    • Stainless - Said to be pretty speedy and can relink against LWK.
    • Sunrise - Web browser for Web developers
    Tiger
    • TenFourKit - Newer WebKit for Tiger. Outdated, but better than Safari 4.
    • OmniWeb - Possibly the 2nd best web browser for Tiger. Not up-to-date, but works well. Best browser for lower end machines with Tiger.
    Linux
    • Midori - Hasn't been updated in a while but it's very fast on older hardware.
    • FireFox - Latest version that supports Linux on PowerPC is 47 which is pretty recent. OS X PPC maxes out at 3.6.x

6. pochopsp macrumors 6502

pochopsp

@amagichnich it's perfect! :)
    I wanted to wait to wait for Henry because even if it is a Wikipost I would ask for his opinion before doing any major changes.

7. amagichnich macrumors regular

amagichnich

Haha that's why I made it in an extra post instead of changing Henrys Wiki :D

8. AmazingHenry thread starter macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

That's be an interesting thing to try. Once I have a Mac running Leopard I'll try it!
    No need, if I didn't like it I'd just revert back. :p

I like your idea a lot, and I'll copy/paste your post into the Wiki. :)

9. AmazingHenry thread starter macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Feel free to add Radon. I've never used it so I don't know which OS to put it under.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Done. I provided links to ZIPs in my Dropbox. These do not exist on the web anymore.

Now, I've linked three browsers, maybe someone else would like to link Shira.

11. AmazingHenry thread starter macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Sometime tonight or tomorrow I'll add a poll to the thread asking which web browser you use. I know I had a thread on that, but now we have some new members, and this is a place where new members will likely see as it's in the FAQ.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 22, 2017 ---
    Added the poll. Unfortunately there isn't room for every web browser, so I added what I thought would be the most popular. When deciding on which browser would be in the last spot, I couldn't decide if it should be Opera or iCab so I added an option for both. :D

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Added Shiira 2.3. Last version available. I put it in the Leopard section because I was unsure, but it probably runs on Tiger.

Last updated in 2004.

13. AmazingHenry thread starter macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Shiira does indeed work on Tiger. However, it doesn't work well at all. Works similar to Safari 4, which is really bad.

Again, anything worse than Camino should not be on here. And if it's a WebKit-based browser, only put it in Leopard even if it supports Tiger because relinking only works in Leopard.

Following these rules, I'm going to remove Radon from Tiger (but keep it on Leopard), and also remove OmniWeb from Tiger as it's WebKit based and will work like Safari 4 (again, I'll keep OmniWeb on the Leopard section). Shiira will be removed from both sections.

Not trying to be picky, but if we don't set the standard somewhere 3/4 of the list will be full of unusable browsers.

14. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

This all seems rather subjective...I don't use Camino on Tiger because it cannot play Youtube or any Flash content, whereas I prefer Omniweb as a more efficient mobile agent Youtube player than TenFourKit...

15. KawaiiAurora macrumors 6502

KawaiiAurora

Waaaait! OmniWeb has updated WebKit AFAIK, well it's faster and renders pages better so.. yeah

16. AmazingHenry thread starter macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

I didn't know these things about OmniWeb, I'll add it back! @Dronecatcher you're right, while some browsers may not be great for regular use they have their strengths.

17. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Thanks folks - great overview and inspiration about browsers !!!

18. KawaiiAurora macrumors 6502

KawaiiAurora

Hmm.. Firefox 51 is stated in the Linux section but nothing past 47 is available on the 16.04 repo for me.

19. ziggy29 macrumors 6502

Does it? I looked over at their downloads and while it says it supports 10.4.8 and higher, it is still a 2009 browser. Is there some other place to get a more current version? Or is that the version you are talking about?

20. AmazingHenry thread starter macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

OmniWeb works a lot like Safari 4, at least for me. I still think it's using the built-in WebKit, but others wanted it on the list so it's staying.

21. KawaiiAurora macrumors 6502

KawaiiAurora

Doesn't relink against LWK, it's much faster than any other browser, features native ad blocking and user agent changing so I think that it has updated WebKit.

22. AmazingHenry thread starter macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

OK, if you say so. ;) Sadly, my experience hasn't been this great.

23. pochopsp macrumors 6502

pochopsp

It is available on Debian repositories. If you add them in your sources.list I think you'll be able to get it

24. heavenfast macrumors newbie

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.