PR Experts: iPhone 4 Hardware Recall is "Inevitable"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appleg33k, Jul 12, 2010.

1. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Highly doubt they would actually do a recall, like they said, reputation is very important to apple and it would ruin their reputation to do a recall on the iPhone.

Not to mention that the antenna being on the outside of the phone is vital part of the overall design, what would apple actually be able to do? Redesign the whole phone? Not happening.

2. fender57 macrumors 6502

The CR report is already ruining their already sinking rep.

Jobs needs to grovel, that might be the only way for Apple to get out of this, aside from doing a total recall, assuming they have a hardware fix ready.

3. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Hmm, not so sure. Seems we are at a point where a recall would only serve to help them out now. Do you think they want to go the next year with this type of PR and constant calls to call centers about reception problems?

I don't.

4. nfl46 macrumors 603

I really wish they do a recall so I can have a great functional phone. These problems are pissing me off. But its the best phone on the market, besides the service issue.

5. fender57 macrumors 6502

This is my opinion too, everything about the iPhone is outstanding except this antenna issue. I'd love to have a 100% functional phone without the bumper.

6. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

they wouldnt need to re design the whole phone. it's obvious, some work (including mine) and some don't. how can that be?? Apple realised there was an issue with some of the earlier produced phones, fixed it and decided to release the "problem" ones anyway. this is what i believe. not very nice but, they gotta get paid, thats just the way it is.

7. zed macrumors 6502

Is there a setting to block posts by users who created their accounts in July 2010? :confused:

8. samcraig macrumors P6

If a recall WERE to happen - it wouldn't be immediate. They would have to change the production line (unless they already have). No idea how long it takes them to a) make 2 million + phones and b) how long of a wait it would take for people who don't have ANY phone to get one if there is a recall and what that would do to Apple's bottom line. If it take several weeks - they could start losing sales from people who have already waited and don't want to wait even more.

Tricky stuff..

9. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

If they did do a full-blown recall, I wonder how long they'd have to take the phone off the market to fix it?

I've been waiting on the white one, and if they do a recall, I'd think they'd just delay it further.

(Is it bad I'd rather have my phone than Apple do a recall?)

10. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

Decisions, decisions decisions...
    Seeing how the Antenna is also an issue for me, and having to buy a case already [which fixed the problem] I dont know if i would give back my iPhone 4 for the recall

11. cenetti macrumors 6502

the reason he's not going to accept the flaw is because ....he knows he will look like a big douche if he ever accepts the design flaw...

-not after 15 minute "revolutionary design segment" during keynote .....
    -not after all the wows 'n praises- how amazing that they managed to put the antenna "around the phone"..... :rolleyes:

12. fender57 macrumors 6502

It would be a mess. I can't see a full-blown recall happening, it would have to be something like trading it in to get a new one, but still, that would be potentially 2 million iPhones...

13. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

it's funny that people actually believe that every single iphone 4 is going to be recalled. forget it.

14. doboy macrumors 68000

So what do you think they'll do? They don't have another choice, but to continue with this model. They would have to redesign a new phone since it is part of their design that's causing issues for some. I think most they would do is give out a free bumper or even give you credit to purchase a case of your choice at the Apple store. It's too costly to recall the phones when there is no differently designed phone to replace it with. I bet if you take a poll of all the users that have purchased iPhone 4, most of them are happy with it or at least willing to use it as is or with a case. So I think best they will offer is the bumper, which is fine by me since I love my white bumper.

15. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I have to put on my tin foil hat for a second and wonder if the delay of the white Iphone had anything to do an inevitable recall or a wait and see approach. Just weird that phone isn't out yet.

16. tokiidokii macrumors regular

the antennae problem is very real but it's also true that it affects some people more than others.

it is unfortunate but i think giving away free bumpers will definitely make a lot of people happy. i know it's not exactly a 'perfect' solution but this is def a lesson learned for apple imo.

17. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

I don't think it will happen either, but if there is any type of recall then it will be for every single iPhone 4. The whole issue is caused by a design flaw on every single iPhone 4 so you can't recall some and not others.

18. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

This also from Consumer Reports The iP4 is better than the EVO!

This from our host, written by Arn.

Earlier today, a Consumer Reports post made headlines after they concluded that they simply could not recommend the iPhone 4 due to the widely reported signal issues related to touching the lower-left corner of the device. This single issue alone has prevented them from fully recommending the iPhone 4. However, their formal testing otherwise revealed that the iPhone 4 ranked the highest amongst all smartphones in their testing.

AllThingsD (via LoopInsight) summarizes the report (subscription required).
    The [iPhone 4] scored 76 out of 100 points–two points ahead of its closest rivals, the iPhone 3Gs and the HTC Evo 4G.
    The product evaluation agency rated the iPhone 4 “Excellent” in its display, navigation, Web browsing, multimedia and battery life categories, “Very Good” in phoning and messaging and “Good” in voice quality.

The iPhone 4 beat out the HTC Evo as well as all the other Smartphones and had the highest score of 76/100. The signal issue described is that holding the lower-left corner of the iPhone 4 can reduce cell phone signal and affect calls in areas with lower reception. The issue depends on your local coverage and can be alleviated with a phone case.

In spite of its issues Consumer Reports says its beter than the HTC EVO. If you want to believe the one part of the report then you have to believe this part also.

19. fender57 macrumors 6502

Free bumper, free voucher for Apple Store (say, $30 to cover a good case), and an option to upgrade to next year's model without penalty. I think I could live with something like that.

20. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

Couldnt agree more

21. Mjmar macrumors 65816

The only way that I will regain faith in apple is if they do a full recall. They always say that they're about creating the BEST products out there. A phone that can barely make calls does not fit under that category. And all the people that are saying a case fixes the problem, that may be true but it doesn't change the fact that you were sold a phone that shoots radiation through your hand instead of to a cell tower. Unacceptable. :mad:

22. chembox macrumors 6502a

I don't want an EVO, I just want a working iPhone.

23. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

since ATT is near me i stopped in and asked what their opinion is. No one knows but they are speculating some type of recall. One guy was like, "man this has got to be the biggest SNAFU ever..." they felt Apple will be doing something. recall or voluntary exchange for white or black. they are thinking in the next few weeks we'll know what our options will be. they told me hundreds of people are complaining about their i4 and they are keeping track.

i am curious what is going to happen.

24. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

There is absolutely no need for a recall (at least, not in the traditional sense). Particularly considering the fact that the vast majority of the iPhone 4 users are not having any issues.

But what i do expect to happen is a change in the production line to add a clear coating to the antenna bands, followed by Apple swapping out the new design for iPhone 4s already in the field.

Mark